S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Front Windows Squeaking...my ordeal!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 07:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Windows Squeaking...my ordeal!

Hi

I wanted to raise this issue and my frustration.

First off, I have owned a 2014 A7 and now a 2015 S7 which both exhibit a window squeaking issue on the front passenger and driver side windows..

The problem occurs mainly when the windows get wet. Both my A7 and nw S7 have been in the shop at least 6 times to try to fix it.

Audi first attempted to blame it on my window tint. When it was removed, the windows still squeaks just like before.

I go all the way up Audi's corporate support team and they sent someone from corporate to the dealer to examine my issue. He tried some window grease, but its still squeaking.

In the end Audi customer support told me they consider this a "characteristic" of the car.

%**%#&&#%!!!!!!

My $12,000 VW didn't have this characteristic.

I am curious if more owners had this problem?

Needless to say the way I this has been handled by Audi has me now deciding to never give Audi another dime.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Location: Italy - repatriate to FL - eventually North Carolina

I don't blame you for the way you feel. It would royally **** me off too.
How soon after you accepted delivery did the problem start?

Because it doesn't squeak the entire time the window travels, it's probably not a motor issue. I am not familiar with the design of the mechanism to move the window but precisely because it makes that noise at particular places (which seem generally consistent in the videos) along the travel I suspect it is related to a cable or roller or even part of the framing that is involved.

Did you try gentle pressure on the window along the edges around the frame while the window is in motion? If the noise stops while doing that the frame may be the culprit. If you can point to a way to stop the noise then maybe Audi service can target a permanent fix.

Really sorry about your problem. I don't have my S7 yet so I don't know if I will have that issue. Calling the problem a "characteristic" to me means that all S7s should exhibit it. I hope that isn't true because I will not like that one bit. These cars are expensive and although issues can occur part of the cost of such a great car is creating the highest customer satisfaction they are able to attain.

Good luck with getting this solved. I look forward to hearing how it all goes.

PS: just did a little looking and it seems window squeaks are a common Audi complaint. One fix that was claimed to work was to apply RainX to the edges of the window (if the window wasn't tinted you could do the whole window - not sure how RainX reacts with tint) carefully covering all the space that comes into contact with the felt. Its tedious, they say, but the squeaking stops for months (depending on how often you open and close the windows of course
Maybe that will work for you. RainX isn't too expensive

Last edited by palmerg; 05-13-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewfear
The problem occurs mainly when the windows get wet.
It sounds like the squeak could be coming from the contact point of the glass and the rubber/felt strip at the bottom of the window. The strip keeps most of the water from entering the door when it rains.

Try spraying the outside of the window with a mixture of water and a few drops of dish detergent. The soap will act as a lubricant and if it still squeaks then you know that it's caused by the window tracks or control mechanism.

Be prepared to flush the area after the test because the same type of soap is used to remove wax.

You can also clean those strips with the window down by scraping them with an old credit card. It removes the accumulation of crud that sometimes scratches the glass and tint.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Audi has done that with both cars as well as added grease.

All solutions havent worked.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have they tried to treat the window mechanism inside the door panel?

Fact remains that it can be repaired. That is for sure. Its just a matter of doing the work and finding the cause. Audi may not be prepared to do it. maybe a detailing shop would be willing to help. You would be surprised how much they know and the tricks they can employ.

Last edited by palmerg; 05-13-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've been through that with Audi. They determined that this was a "characteristic" of the A7/S7. They said it happens on other cars.

Oh well, I won't be a Audi customer in the future.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by palmerg
I don't blame you for the way you feel. It would royally **** me off too.
How soon after you accepted delivery did the problem start?

Because it doesn't squeak the entire time the window travels, it's probably not a motor issue. I am not familiar with the design of the mechanism to move the window but precisely because it makes that noise at particular places (which seem generally consistent in the videos) along the travel I suspect it is related to a cable or roller or even part of the framing that is involved.

Did you try gentle pressure on the window along the edges around the frame while the window is in motion? If the noise stops while doing that the frame may be the culprit. If you can point to a way to stop the noise then maybe Audi service can target a permanent fix.

Really sorry about your problem. I don't have my S7 yet so I don't know if I will have that issue. Calling the problem a "characteristic" to me means that all S7s should exhibit it. I hope that isn't true because I will not like that one bit. These cars are expensive and although issues can occur part of the cost of such a great car is creating the highest customer satisfaction they are able to attain.

Good luck with getting this solved. I look forward to hearing how it all goes.

PS: just did a little looking and it seems window squeaks are a common Audi complaint. One fix that was claimed to work was to apply RainX to the edges of the window (if the window wasn't tinted you could do the whole window - not sure how RainX reacts with tint) carefully covering all the space that comes into contact with the felt. Its tedious, they say, but the squeaking stops for months (depending on how often you open and close the windows of course
Maybe that will work for you. RainX isn't too expensive
Problem started within 2 months after first rain.

I have tried all avenues directly through audi or rainx. tried removing tint.

Didnt work.

I am curious to see if 2016 exhibits the problem. My local audi dealer confirmed it happened to another a7 that they had on the lot.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had the same exact issue on my CPO 2012 A7 - they had to take out the glass and clean inside of it. It went away after that. They said there was a lot of dirt, etc.. inside the window from the previous owner. They guessed that he must have left it parked outside with windows down often.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll ask again, but I dont think it will matter
Old 05-14-2015, 08:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

in this video at about 5:30/:40 the glass is being replaced into the door frame.
You can see in that short segment how the window fits into slots that are below the door sill so they are never seen.
Even though this is from an A6 I would bet that the design in the A7/S7 is very similar. I would bet that the problem is there somewhere.

Last edited by palmerg; 05-14-2015 at 08:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Front Windows Squeaking...my ordeal!