AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S7 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s7-197/)
-   -   LED Headlights worth it? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s7-197/led-headlights-worth-2837710/)

billcruise 11-19-2012 03:29 PM

LED Headlights worth it?

I ordered my first Audi, an S7 for european delivery this weekend equipped as follows:

L8L8 Phantom Black Pearl
PAW Cold Weather
PS8 Comfort Seating
PCP Driver Assistance
5MK Carbon Atlas Inlay
6NQ Black Headliner

I've skipped the LED headlights because I consider the standard HID headlights which are steerable to be pretty good technology. Looking at the Audi marketing, the main advantages of the LED's are better color and long life. Is it really worth the extra money? I haven't driven any of these cars at night so looking for opinions on this. Thanks

grogs4dogs 11-19-2012 03:41 PM

I have the LED lights on my A7, which I have had for 15 months. I really like them...it's such natural light...just like sunlight. When I got the A7, the LED lights were part of the Technology Package.

When I went to order my S7, they were no longer part of that package. They were a standalone $1,400 option. That's really pricey for headlights. But I liked the look of the lights on the car as well as the light they cast, so I just bit the bullet and ordered them with the car. I figure on keeping the car for 4 years, so my LED penalty amounts to $350 per year, or about $30 a month. How's that for justification?

billcruise 11-20-2012 02:30 AM

Can anyone comment on their experience with the standard HID's? Any problems with them?

OBP 11-20-2012 05:25 AM

Not to go off topic but for your European delivery S&, did you get a 5% off MSRP for the whole package or just 5% of the base price ? Some dealers are saying yes and other are unsure. Also, how long are they making you wait before the car will be ready ?

Asking cos I am most interested in ordering an S7 just like you except with almost the same options and like you, I plan to skip LEDs.

Originally Posted by billcruise (Post 24373981)
I ordered my first Audi, an S7 for european delivery this weekend equipped as follows:

L8L8 Phantom Black Pearl
PAW Cold Weather
PS8 Comfort Seating
PCP Driver Assistance
5MK Carbon Atlas Inlay
6NQ Black Headliner

I've skipped the LED headlights because I consider the standard HID headlights which are steerable to be pretty good technology. Looking at the Audi marketing, the main advantages of the LED's are better color and long life. Is it really worth the extra money? I haven't driven any of these cars at night so looking for opinions on this. Thanks

RS-SIX 11-20-2012 07:49 AM

When I tried to do ED, I got 5% off the full MSRP (not base) but excluding destination.

clintb 11-20-2012 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by billcruise (Post 24374103)
Can anyone comment on their experience with the standard HID's? Any problems with them?

I don't think you'll see many S7s ordered without the LEDs

With the way Audi is marketing the LED lights, I'd think it's a "must have" on the options list when you go to resell

Also the Lighting is AMAZING, and the clusters look so gorgeous and more aggressive with the squared off LED diffusers

noah123 11-22-2012 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by billcruise (Post 24373981)

L8L8 Phantom Black Pearl
PAW Cold Weather
PS8 Comfort Seating
PCP Driver Assistance
5MK Carbon Atlas Inlay
6NQ Black Headliner

So did u get the LED lights?

billcruise 11-23-2012 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by noah123 (Post 24375250)
So did u get the LED lights?

Dealer said car can't be European delivered till 4/1 so I have some more time to make a decision but as of right now I'm leaning towards the standard HID's.

tenspeed 11-23-2012 06:28 AM

I'm getting the LED headlight option.

From what I have read they are equal or better than other choices. I believe that in the next few years, LED headlights will be standard equipment in many makes and models.

RFS 11-24-2012 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by billcruise (Post 24375282)
Dealer said car can't be European delivered till 4/1 so I have some more time to make a decision but as of right now I'm leaning towards the standard HID's.

My '04 V8 VW Tourag has HID lights, and they're great. My wife just took delivery of a '13 TT Roadster with HID's. They wouldn't be on an Audi if they weren't very good. Although the technology can change tomorrow, I got the LED's on my new S6 to give what I feel is a "latest" look, and have a 'wow' factor over all the BMW's, mercedes, fords, Toyotas, etc. out there. (Maybe not the Accords, lol.) And, they do make the nighttime disappear.