Ice Silver
42.55%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Phantom Black vs. Ice Silver

Old 01-15-2013, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
I'm positive that is quartz grey. Daytona has more purple in it and would even be darker. Outside of direct sunlight Quartz has a medium grey color.

Guys, let me set you straight on which color is which. Attached are photos I shot recently at my local Audi dealer (Byers Imports, Columbus, OH) of a Quartz Grey car next to a Daytona Grey one.

The (darker) S5 is the Daytona Grey. I confirmed it on the sticker. It was an ordered car in Audi Exclusive color Daytona Grey, which is not available as a standard color on the S5.

The (lighter) A6 was Quartz Grey. I confirmed it on the sticker.

I took these pics when I saw them together because I so liked the Daytona Grey vs. the Quartz Grey, which I find boring and dull, and common, no matter how clean it may look when dirty.

Finally, I also previously confirmed that the "silver" S7 seen in numerous press pics from Audi of the S7 was indeed PRISM SILVER, which an earlier poster did correctly state was originally supposed to be one of two exclusive colors for the S7 and S6, but which Audi later decided to exclude from the list of standard colors for both cars in favor of only one exclusive shade, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect.

Compared to Ice Silver, Prism Silver looks warmer, slightly golden, and it has small prismatic multicolor metallic flecks in it when viewed up close.

BTW, I recently purchase a 2013 S4 in Estoril Blue (pic attached), which my wife drives, and am first in line for an RS7 at my local dealer (since over a week ago), who says they were told by Audi (last week BEFORE Detroit) that they would be getting just ONE allocation of an RS7.

Now I need to decide what color for it... Thinking either Daytona Matte, which I've seen in person on an R8 GT at my local dealer recent and which looks absolute SICK, or maybe the new Nardo gray that's the other exclusive (and "new") Audi color. Problem is, I don't know what Nardo grey looks like, and no one is confirming what color the car in the press pics is: Nardo or Daytona.

I most definitely do NOT like the white one at Detroit, but that's probably more to do with the gaudy chrome wheels and blacked out front grill and carbon mirror housings, which I think are the "carbon" effects pkg. I've seen a couple of white S7's (even drove one), and it looked very nice.
Attached Images      
Old 01-16-2013, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ncaplin - great post and thanks for the pics, love this thread due to all the great pics. Thanks for clarifying that the press pics s7 was Prisma silver (it's Prisma, not Prism, according to Audi's configurator and the web). If they offered the Prisma silver for the s7 it would have been my choice. Daytona is gorgeous but it's dark, so it's probably not as easy to keep clean as a silver tone. I do agree that quartz seems a bit dull and plain. still, if and when i order my S7 it will be Daytona/Black, thanks for the help.

Congrats on the S4 and being in line for the RS7, you're lucky. to help you make your color choice:

RS7 in matte Daytona:

the matte daytona looks nice, but i'm generally not a fan of matte paint, seems like a riskier color choice. Still, good problem for you to have.

This link shows the RS7 in two shades of gray, my guess is that the darker shade is Nardo, since it does not look like matte paint in the closeup, whereas the lighter shade does have a bit of the matte look to it. i like the darker shade, and i love the black interior.

http://www.diseno-art.com/news_conte...s-7-sportback/

Last edited by ayfourthreepointoh; 01-16-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[

This link shows the RS7 in two shades of gray, my guess is that the darker shade is Nardo, since it does not look like matte paint in the closeup, whereas the lighter shade does have a bit of the matte look to it. i like the darker shade, and i love the black interior.

http://www.diseno-art.com/news_conte...s-7-sportback/[/QUOTE]

I think you may be right about the darker grey in the photos at that link being Nardo. That's the first time I saw those pics and I like it. I note that the other press pics and video definitely look matte so must be Daytona Matte. I also note the other press pics and video of grey car apparently have the matte aluminum optics package, which includes the Quattro inset logo in the front grill where as the darker car in your link does not have that Quattro inset grill of the Matte aluminum contrasting bits in the front air inlets. Again I think I am liking the simpler cleaner look without the Quattro marker on front better. For one, here in Ohio the law requires a front license plate, and a US size plate would conflict with the outline of that inset Quattro badge front grill. Also, IMO, the inset grill with even smaller mesh is a bit busy and overwrought. Thanks for your help!
Old 04-15-2013, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
Black is not a color it's a full time job.
ditto.
just sold my black S6 and bought a silver one. couldn't be happier.