S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Ready for a Tune.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 03:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready for a Tune.

APR has a 10% off sale on tunes, so I think I'm ready for some HP.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Finally got my tune today. Drove it out to a back road and Launched it. What a
difference, car length of rubber and alot faster. It's bad!!! Hope to take it out
to the strip in couple of weeks. Will post time 1/4 Et and Mph when I do. Made
a great car even better.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Now that you have lived with it for a little while, would you do it again? What are the downsides? I've been looking into APR for a long time now...on my Q7 S-Line. Now that I have an S7 on the way, I'm even more serious about it, but I want to be sure it is worth it, and there are no major detriments. The S7 will become my daily driver.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So far the only downside is keeping my foot off the gas pedal. Seriously so far no downsides, in comfort mode it drives as tame as my wife's little Lexus IS 250.
When you get on it, you have a big simile on your face. So far it's worth every penny
it cost and I'm 68 years old.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have an APR tune in my 2013 S7. It's way faster, but I wouldn't do it again. Audi voided my warranty when they found it and I had several issues with the coolant lines bursting twice (technicians say the tune makes it run hotter) and the turbo relief valve breaking (a $3500 repair).

It's plenty fast stock and the parts simply can't take the extra HP. The S8 uses the 8 speed torque converter transmission because the extra HP in the S8 causes problem on the dual clutch 7 speed. The APR upgrade boosts power close to S8 levels. I turned my chip off because I was afraid the transmission would be the next weak link in the chain.

Needless to say, I won't be buying another S car. Definitely going M or AMG.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have an APR tune in my 2013 S7. It's way faster, but I wouldn't do it again. Audi voided my warranty when they found it and I had several issues with the coolant lines bursting twice (technicians say the tune makes it run hotter) and the turbo relief valve breaking (a $3500 repair).

It's plenty fast stock and the parts simply can't take the extra HP. The S8 uses the 8 speed torque converter transmission because the extra HP in the S8 causes problem on the dual clutch 7 speed. The APR upgrade boosts power close to S8 levels. I turned my chip off because I was afraid the transmission would be the next weak link in the chain.

Also, I went 11.98 at 116mph at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, CA. Significantly slower than the times they show on their website, but still pretty good for a 4400 pound street car.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the post! As a result, I will not be tuning my S7 and leave it alone (if it ain't broke, don't fix it)!

Originally Posted by ss7026

Also, I went 11.98 at 116mph at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, CA. Significantly slower than the times they show on their website, but still pretty good for a 4400 pound street car.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wish Audi would offer a warrantied tune, like some other companies do. Certainly Audi could do it and runs the same engine to much more power where it warrants it.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Anyone have any experience with the APR ECU tune on a 2016? I know the engine is the same as the 2013, with only a slight bump in power via tuning, but I believe the APR programming has been updated. I'm also curious as to whether anyone has experience with the "stock" program and if dealers are able to still detect the tune. Thanks in advance...
Old 01-25-2016, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Audi made it abundantly clear to me that any tune of any kind automatically voids the power train warranty. I called APR looking for assistance and they were not even remotely helpful. They basically said I have to try to talk my wait out of it.

Truth is Audi is not a tuner's brand. They will weasel out of supporting their own products. The turbo relief valve that broke in mine is the same part # as on an RS7. I showed Audi's regional VP this and showed them how the RS7 makes more power than an APR tuned S7. Therefore, it was not that we pushed the parts passed their designed limits but rather it was just a general parts failure. They didn't care and voided my power train warranty.

Add an ECU tune at your own peril. My next car will be an M or AMG for sure. They don't need a tune to blow the doors off of Audi's S line.

Quick Reply: Ready for a Tune.