S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Upgrading my brakes ... so tired of the squealing and the brake dust!

Old 01-19-2016, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Upgrading my brakes ... so tired of the squealing and the brake dust!

Hi all -

After researching a bunch of different threads on the topic, I am taking the plunge to upgrade my brakes all around on my 2015 S7 with 38,000 miles.

Brakes still work fine - normal use, with only one track day at Pocono. But, I am tired of the brake dust, and I am especially tired of the incredibly loud squealing in the cold weather.

I could probably try to bed them in to quiet it down, but it is such a recurring issue, I don't want to deal with it anymore.

Here's what I bought (awaiting delivery & installation), based on research across a few posts and threads on the topics of ceramic brakes, squealing brakes, and excess brake dust.

Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic Pads from brakeworld.com
* Rear HC1547 $140.00
* Front HC1575 $180.00

Set of 4 rotors from Adam's Rotors $1380.00
* "street" pattern - drilled & slotted
* black hub
* black zinc coating
* "normal" metallurgy G3000 iron

One set of Audi OEM shims "repair kit" ~$200.00
* part # 4H0-698-231
* my dealer confirmed it only requires one set, for front pads

So, I am in for $1900 so far for parts, and my dealer confirmed installation will be 4 hours @ $135, so $540.

All in all, ~$2500, which appears to be only a few hundred more than others have posted for dealer replacements using OEM pads & rotors, which would of course have the same old squealing and brake dust issues.

I realize none of this is new information, but hope it helps to have it consolidated in one place since it took me a couple of hours or researching and reading.

Will post results back in 4-5 weeks allowing for 3 weeks from Adam's Rotors and time to get to the dealer.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Feel your pain. I went with OEM Ceramics. though pricey will never have to worry about changing brakes, noise, or dust.

They also stop on a dime.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My rotors have finally arrived, and installation will be on Monday. Stay tuned for updates.

new rotors awaiting installation
Old 03-06-2016, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased an Audi 2015 S7 with 6K miles. I haven't noticed the brakes making any noise as of yet; however, that being said....I traded in my 2013 Audi A7 that had brake noise in the colder months. The dealer ended up coating the front pads with an anti sequel agent made by a company called BG. It worked for the next winter just prior to me trading in the car. Brake dust was always a problem.

Did you always have issues with brake noise in the colder months? I'm trying to determine if I have another brake noise issue to look forward to...

I see you live in NJ. What tires do you use in the winter? I purchased the car with 20" summer high performance tires and trying to get an idea of what tires to purchase for '16's winter months. (November through next March)

Thank you!
Old 03-06-2016, 06:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, I always had brake noise issues when cold (a little below 40 degF, a lot below 20 degF).

I do use winter tires here in NJ. I ended up buying the Audi wheel & tire package for the S7, which is a set of 19" wheels with Continental winter tires. I pasted the picture below. I was able to buy them online from a nearby dealer, and got them for less than $3000.

I don't like changing tires on one set of rims back and forth, and I prefer my winter tires to be a bit narrower with taller sidewalls. I priced out a package from Tire Rack, and ended up at almost $3000 for 19's so I went with the Audi OEM.

The picture below has the wheels, and you can see the tire details, too.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:46 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by bjterp00
My rotors have finally arrived, and installation will be on Monday. Stay tuned for updates.

new rotors awaiting installation
Wait... I'm confused...those are Adam's rotors? They appear to just be slotted and drilled stock rotors.(Audi barcode and Audi pin set ring on the front rotors are a dead giveaway.) I thought Adams were special custom made rotors? Do they just charge $300 to slot and drill them? (The hub and edge of stock rotors already come coated too.) Won't the machining simply make them worse/weaker than plain stock rotors?
Old 03-07-2016, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am not worried about the machining having an impact on strength or durability. It's pretty minor machining, and I'll take the aesthetics and the chance the slots help reduce noise a bit. My main motivation was to get the ceramic pads for low dust, low noise, but I went with new rotors to start fresh.

Adam did email me that the fronts were "OE grade blanks" and the backs were aftermarket, then machined.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay, new rotors and pads are installed.

No squeaking! Although it is 60 degF now, so my OEM brakes probably wouldn't squeak either.

And no brake dust, even after some hard breaking. Wheels will be easy to clean now!

Downsides?

* A bit of a sound coming from brakes at speed; dealer thinks it is the noise of the slotted rotors passing the pads; no sound when stopped or below 30 mph.

* Internal vanes on front rotors appear to be identical on each one, meaning driver side rotor has vanes going the correct direction, passenger side ones going the wrong direction. Can anyone with OEM factory installed rotors poke a (gloved) finger in their front disks to check directionality on front rotor internal vanes? If they are the exact same part, I would expect this, but it looks like they are perhaps supposed to be directional parts. Appreciate any input so I can contact Adam's Rotors if he used two identical blanks and should have used directional blanks.

* Initial bite seems a bit less than stock, though I was somewhat expecting that given the move to ceramic pads. Not worrisome, though.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bjterp00
* Internal vanes on front rotors appear to be identical on each one, meaning driver side rotor has vanes going the correct direction, passenger side ones going the wrong direction. Can anyone with OEM factory installed rotors poke a (gloved) finger in their front disks to check directionality on front rotor internal vanes? If they are the exact same part, I would expect this, but it looks like they are perhaps supposed to be directional parts. Appreciate any input so I can contact Adam's Rotors if he used two identical blanks and should have used directional blanks.
I looked on RockAuto and they did not have any 2015 S7 rotors. I checked Audi On Line Parts and they show left and right side rotors. Here's a link

2015 Audi S7 Parts - Audi Parts

IDK if it makes any difference which way they are machined. Every set of directional rotors that I have installed have a "L" or "R" stamped on the outer edge.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, I've looked at Audi's parts website, too. Interestingly, on the Audi site, and the site you referenced, the R & L front rotors have the same part number.

In terms of the external machining, I am pretty sure that doesn't matter, just an aesthetic choice, or, in my case, the Audi tech's decision.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgrading my brakes ... so tired of the squealing and the brake dust!