S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Violent downshifts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
Don't mean to split hairs. This is not a recall where the manufacturer are obligated by the Government to send out notices to owners. Call your dealership where you purchased your car from and based on your VIN number in their system, they should be able to tell you what TSBs need to get done.
Called the dealer and he confirmed the TSB's noted above apply to my car. Scheduled to drop it off on the 27th. They said it will take a full day to do the updates. It would be great to run in sport mode and have the rev matching work as it should, especially for 3 to 2 downshifts. Would like to hear the results of others if you get the mods done before then.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemdd
Called the dealer and he confirmed the TSB's noted above apply to my car. Scheduled to drop it off on the 27th. They said it will take a full day to do the updates. It would be great to run in sport mode and have the rev matching work as it should, especially for 3 to 2 downshifts. Would like to hear the results of others if you get the mods done before then.
Downshifts significantly less harsh but some still exist (I think it depends on the way I applied the brakes) which I hope will smooth out after the adaptation logic learns my braking habits. Slowing down more enjoyable now.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikemdd
Got the S7 back yesterday from the dealer. The following work was done:

1) TSB 2035049/1: transmission software update, I assume to address the "banging" 3 to 2 downshift in S mode.

2) Recall 19J1 S-Update-4.0 (I Quality Package): Included a new thermostat, C Grill. It specifically noted that it was a Recall.

3) Recall 48K8 with update Power Steering Control Unit Software: Again, specified it as a Recall, not a TSB. Not sure what this was for.

If you have not done the TSB above, do it now. The shifting of the transmission in S mode is totally different. The banging downshifts at low speeds are gone. The throttle blip is perfect and smooth. It is amazing what a software change will do with the transmission.

Not sure what the issue was with the thermostat. Obviously, no observations.

Not sure what the recall on Power steering was for. I can't tell any difference.

I am really pleased now with the S mode performance of the transmission.

Mike
Old 09-29-2013, 05:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just had the TSB for the tranny done and it downshifts waaay smoother now. Very acceptable. Furthermore, the response time it much better on Dynamic mode now compared to the bit of lag prior. Overall, the car drives better now on Dynamic, and I never have to come out of S mode on the transmission unless I am worried about gas mileage.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Trans Software update

I had the latest trans update installed a few days ago, this is in addition to the update (TSB 2035049/1) from late summer.

WOW, what a difference. Very drivable in regular and sport mode. The hesitation and violent downshifting are both cured.

Hope this is the end of this problem.

Dave427