A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Audi 2003 A4 won't start ..... clicking noise when I turn the ignition...help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 2003 A4 won't start ..... clicking noise when I turn the ignition...help?

I was leaving work today and had trouble starting my car. Turned the ignition and the car didn't turn over and start. After the third try it did start and I drove off. I stopped of at a gas station to put gas in. Tried to start it after shutting down the engine and same symptom occured as before... it wouldn't start. This time it never came back.

I keep hearing a clicking noise whn I turn the ignition to the 3rd position. Turning to second the dash, lights, stereo e.t.c on.

Tried to jump start it with cables but the battery seemed fine, all lighs working fine audio system e.t.c so battery is probably not the issue.

When I turn the ignition I hear a clicking noise like it's going through the start procedure...but it just doesn't turn over. The engine never comes on (it's not like it's sitting there struggling). Just got it serviced before my warranty ran out 10,000KM ago so I'm a little confused right now.

Gonna take it into a shop tomorrow (thankfully I still have road side assistance so towing is free). Any idea what might be wrong... hopefully this won't be too expensive.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-19-2007, 09:20 PM

Default Battery or starter motor.

Get your battery tested to see if it is pushing enough volts. Chances are, if your internal lights are as bright as they have been in the past, your battery is fine. Also, if your headlights can be turned on, and they are not dim but normal brightness, that's another quick check that indicates your battery is probably fine. Still a good idea to get it tested if you can. Sears and most auto parts places will test your battery for free.

Sounds like to me that your starter went bad. On most cars, it is relatively easy to swap out starter motors -- 20-30 minutes if you have the part in hand. I haven't looked at the location and access on our cars, so I don't know how easy or hard it could be.

You can remove the starter motor and take it to a auto parts supply store and have them bench test it.

<a href="http://www.misterfixit.com/starttst.htm" target="_new">Here's an explanation of trouble shooting and doing a bench test of a starter motor</a>. I don't recommend doing the bench test yourself, it can be dangerous. Take it somewhere to be tested.

Sometimes the starter solenoid on the starter can go bad. Another thing that can go bad is the positive cable bolt that comes out of the solenoid can go bad -- if after removing the starter motor, if the bolt has the slightest wiggle/play in it, you will see the symptoms you are experiencing -- the bolt should be rock solid.

If you DIY, remember to connect your starter switch wire to the starter solenoid. I did that once....replaced a starter on a car and compression started it for 2-3 days (while replacing other electrical stuff) before realizing my stupidness!
Old 11-19-2007, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Get battery load tested even if you think it is OK.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Battery or starter motor.

So If I turn the headlights on and interior lights, I don't see any dimming occuring when I try to start.

When I turn the ignition key from the 2 position to 3 slowly....I hear 1 click, then as I get closer to 3 I hear a second (that is lighter sounding than the first. so it looks like the ignition relay /solenoid are working?

If I just have the day time running lights on the when the key position triggers the first click the day time running lights are disabled and when I trigger the second (lighter sounding click) nothing happens.

The clicks depend on the ignition position, so it's not the multiple click scenario where the relays keep firing.

I guess the contact beteen the solenoid and starter motor could be bad or it could be the starter motor itself. Is it more likely to be the solenoid or the starter motor?

The fact that it worked in the morning, then 8 hours later, but failed re-starting 15 minutes after I left work seems to point a contact issue rather than a dead motor but I'm speculating here (maybe I just got lucky when I left work).

It has been raining a lot here too (just moved to Seattle).
Old 11-20-2007, 09:12 AM

Default Is the clicking sound coming from inside the cabin or is it the starter?

If it's the starter, the clicking will come from the engine area. If you're not sure, have someone try to start the car while you are standing on the side of the car with the hood open to see if you can hear the clicking coming from the engine area.

I live across the lake from Seattle in Bellevue. If you want to talk to me on the phone, send me an email with a number I can call you at.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Happened again..???? Re: Audi 2003 A4 won't start ..... clicking noise when I turn the ignition

I ran into the same problem today that I ran into 2 months ago. 2003 A4 53,000 miles. 2 months ago my car wouldn't start and I'd hear the starter relays clicking but the motor just wouldn't fire. Took it in, and they said I needed a new starter as that one bad... drawing too much current was the explanation I got.

Not today the same thing happened while leaving the gym. I had to get my car towed again. So frustrated. The last job ended up costing $650 to replace the starter + battery + labour.

I took it back to the same place I got it fixed last time and voiced my displeasure so we'll see.

Anyone else experience sh*t like this? Is there something terribly wrong with the electrical system that is causing this? Never had any starter issues before??

I'm tempted to take this to the dealer and get ripped with labour but I really want to get to the bottom of this...

How do I lose 2 starters in 2 months???
Old 05-15-2012, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default What could this $%#& be??!!

Originally Posted by Mulaish
I was leaving work today and had trouble starting my car. Turned the ignition and the car didn't turn over and start. After the third try it did start and I drove off. I stopped of at a gas station to put gas in. Tried to start it after shutting down the engine and same symptom occured as before... it wouldn't start. This time it never came back.

I keep hearing a clicking noise whn I turn the ignition to the 3rd position. Turning to second the dash, lights, stereo e.t.c on.

Tried to jump start it with cables but the battery seemed fine, all lighs working fine audio system e.t.c so battery is probably not the issue.

When I turn the ignition I hear a clicking noise like it's going through the start procedure...but it just doesn't turn over. The engine never comes on (it's not like it's sitting there struggling). Just got it serviced before my warranty ran out 10,000KM ago so I'm a little confused right now.

Gonna take it into a shop tomorrow (thankfully I still have road side assistance so towing is free). Any idea what might be wrong... hopefully this won't be too expensive.

Thanks in advance
Yep, going thru the same thing, new alternator / starter / battery / even changed out the ignition switch (plastic part) myself. Still won't crank (or I should say) will do the whur-ur-ur-ur thing before it stops, can't be the ecu, it has to be a short or even burnt / damaged + cable from battery to starter. Anyone?

2004 B6 A4 Avant Quattro 1.8T 6sp
GT28R / AWE / Bilstein PSS9 / BBS RK / APR / GIAC
Old 02-26-2014, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have an A4 1.8 Turbo. My car was turning over but wouldn't start until after several tries. We've replaced the crank sensor and now the boost pressure valve. It's still not wanting to start.

There are no codes. The system check still says OK. Any suggestions on where to look next?
Old 03-03-2014, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Mulaish

from what your telling it sounds like an alternator problem. its obvious the battery is fine as well as the starter. See what happens when you install a new alternator.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

2004 audi a4 1.8T not cranking up. Went to crank the car and i got nothing but fast clicking and would not crank. on the second try did the same thing but then i got a a few beeps at me in the inside of the car after i tried cranking it. Husband popped open the hood and he said the sound was coming from the left side under the hood. He did the best he could trying to figure out where it was coming from but he isnt a mechanic so we left it alone. HELP!

Quick Reply: Audi 2003 A4 won't start ..... clicking noise when I turn the ignition...help?