Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Steering Wheel Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Wheel Vibration

Realize this was an old topic - we have an early production 2007 3.6 Q7 and they have road forced the wheels 4 times since we have owned the car - but still get decent steering wheel vibration at speeds above 60-65mph. Their was some word about a re-engineered control arm - but dealer has never heard of this. They keep centering on balancing - which makes sense, but certainly in the 4x they have tried, made no difference.

Does anyone have more specifics on how to correct this? I have the OEM 19" wheels/tires. Could this be a tire problem?
Old 05-24-2009, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Not specific to Tyre Brand or size although...

it is mainly 19" and 20" that have suffered.
I think its 15 cars, hard to find now in 446 cars.
Here are some old threads.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=23309048
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...=2690588#16455
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=23330488
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=23309054
There may be repeats there, I didnt check.
One person reported (I think here though maybe Vortex) about the heavier arm replacement. Foolishly I never saved the thread. I am pretty sure recent production has different arms as problem has gone anyway.
PS my car still has it too... barely.
Let me know if you want the spreadsheet or extract to help your search.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. Still appears there is no conclusive fix. My tires are the Goodyear - too bad not a lot of options for the 19" replacements.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Found this but I am still not convinced

As mine is the TDI though early and 3.0 so maybe they are speaking of a different part. Probably worth the read anyway.
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/dir...w/.ef3be42/573.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine fixed by adjusting the 'play' in the steering rack. AoA was involved and all has been resolved for the last 5K miles.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:40 AM

I've got a 2007 Q7 4.2 with the 19" Wheels and Tires.

The steering wheel vibration is a problem that I've had since delivery. At present, I have 14,500 miles on the Q7 and I still have a minimal amount of vibration.

With that said, here is a list of everything the dealer has tried. I will give the dealer a lot of credit, they've tried everything. At present, the vibration is the least it's ever been.

#1 Rotate Tires and alignment. Did not fix problem.

#2 Replaced Control Arms. Was told they used the diesel Q7 control arms. Did not fix problem.

#3 Replaced bushings. Used a new liquid filled bushing. Did not fix problem.

#4 Replaced entire front-end. Was told they used a TDI front end. Did not fix problem, but has reduced it.

I've noticed that different road surfaces will give me different levels of vibrations. In addition, these problems went through a set of tires as well.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the response. That does not give me a lot of optimism! My vibration only seem to be on the interstate at high speeds. When I am accelerating, climbing a hill, etc. - all is fine. Only when foot off accelerator or coasting/going down a hill at fast speeds you get the vibration. That would seem to suggest wheel balance - but we have done that 5x and with road force.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry to raise this question from the dead.

Just wondered if anyone else has any input into this issue.
I noticed Audi/VW is discounting part number 7L8-422-061-D, which is a steering rack/gear..... Hmmmm
Old 09-29-2015, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am having the same vibration issues. I have a Canadian/US bought 2014 Audi Q7 3.2 Quattro TFSI. I drove 28'000 km with it, without a problem. I put a new set of wheels and tires on it (Audi approved wheels and tires). The car drove superb and without any vibrations for at least 3500 kilometers. Once I hit a nice size speed bump at about 15 mp/h (22 km/h). It shook the car quit badly. After that I noticed a vibration in the steering wheel at about 70 mp/h or 110 km/h. I took it to a dealer. He balanced the wheels and the front right wheel was 22 grams off. Balanced, took it home, same problem. I brought it back thinking that perhaps in this scorching heat of the summer, the adhesive of the weight came loose and lost the weight. Again, the wheel was 28 grams off. Balanced it again, same problem. So, I bought new wheels thinking that I twisted the wheel. Put new wheels on it, same issue. So, we put the original wheels and tires on it (which are still in great shape and never had an issue with them...). SAME ISSUE. Same vibration. So, we put brand new tires on the original Audi Wheels, SAME ISSUE.

Then we filled nitro into the tires, makes them run very smoothly, SAME Issue.

The dealer did the following:
- put original wheels and new tires on it
- put second set of wheels of another Q7 on it
- tried summer, winter and all weather tires
- used nitro instead of air in tires
- balanced the brake discs (I didn't even know that can be done)
- replaced the wheel bearings
- replaced front and rear drive shafts
- replaced all bushings
- checked front and back geometry
- laser measured all control arms and stabilizors

NOTHING, NOTHING works.

Someone at Audi said that perhaps he has to balance the wheels using the HUNGER engineering system. It's a new wheel balancing method based in absolute force calculation. It's very expensive and has to be done every 10000 km or a new set of tires... But quit frankly that makes NO SENSE. Because the original wheels and tires also have the issue.

Nobody can explain me how this issue arouse after hitting the speed bump and why suddenly all tires and wheels that we try need to be "huntered"??? It makes no logical sense. Perhaps, I don't doubt that, if I spend the $2500 for the huntering process it might MASK the symptom but not fix the real issue. That is not, how I think a $90k SUV from Audi should be fixed.

I went to Germany with my SUV (yes, really went there...) and a Audi authorized swing arm manufacturer said that it might be the rear swing arms aka stabilizer.

We thought we should rule out the steering wheel axle. I was told that some Audi cars have electronic steering wheel stabilizers, but the Q7 doesn't have that. It's all old fashion mechanical steering wheel.

What should we do? Audi is dragging their feet, it's been 7 weeks since I dropped it off at the dealership. They can't fix it. Do you think we should replace all stabilizers and the steering wheel control system?

Did anyone here have the same issue and KNOWS HOW TO RESOLVE IT? If your input helps me get the car fixed, I will gladly send some beer money...

Cheers
Guido
Old 09-29-2015, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Audi Q7 TFSI 3.2 Supercharged S-Line by jeridoo | AudiWorld.com

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Vibration