Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

air suspension valve block problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default air suspension valve block problems

2000 AR 2.5 tdi.
The air suspension is moodier than a woman.
No leaks, no settling overnight.
Computer replaced while back, ouch!
Pump seems sweet.
The height control will either work fine or or won't work at all. Sometimes in the morning it's up at level 3, sometimes it's down at level 1. I am certain it's not leaking down to level one, it's being let down by a dump valve.
If it's in a bad mood the pump will go, with no change in height, untill the thermal overload trips out. If it's in a good mood, then bingo, up she goes immediately.
It seems to not like wet/cold weather, but can go out on fine days too.
Stealer reads 01772 code and says replace the valve block.
I read on other threads that the valves can get sticky. Has anyone diagnosed if this is electronically sticky, or pneumatically sticky. Has anyone tried squirting some air tool oil into the system to free it up? Any other pneumatic system I've ever dealt with has always need regular oiling, how does this system expect to run dry for life? Are a few drops of air tool oil in the intake hose to the pump likely to cause damage to any other bits? Has anyone pulled the valve block to bits, the stealer just wants to replace, I'd rather repair if possible.
How does this system operate, does the pump just maintain pressure to the accumulator tank, or does it feed via the valve block to the 4 corners with any spare pressure going to the tank?
Old 05-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out my posting on suspension failure, still ongoing.
To date i have not seen a posting where the valve block has been dismantled and repaired, sticky valves is a common failing and this sends the compressor into overdrive.There are posts where oil has been fed into the system and this has worked.
My understanding is the compressor feeds the tank, and only needs to operate when the tank pressure needs to be topped up, the valve block distributes the air to the four corners, the four height sensors maintain a level car at the correct height.
Good luck.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have been watching your thread and I think a little oil might be in order to see if I can free it all up. I'll report back....
Old 05-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok I just fed some air tool oil into the intake hose, all good so far. What I did notice is that, when the pump is going, the air seems to puff out of the hose nearly as much as it sucks in. I'd have expected a, err um, lusty suck. The suspension is going up and down though. Is there a valve in the pump that I can check to see if it's seating as well as it could?
I'd certainly be tempted to oil the intake foam, just as we used to do on motorbike air cleaners, just to 'feed' the system a bit of lubrication. Anyone else tried this?
Old 06-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update....
The oil is magic!
10 drops of air tool lubricant and my suspension has gone from cranky old cot case to working like a dream.
No issues in several weeks now.
Can I get royalties per drop of oil, vs cost of valve block replacement?
The following users liked this post:
christianaudi (06-21-2019)
Old 06-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

sam.......where did you oil? can you take a pic or walk me through it like a 5yr old?.....thanks
Old 06-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Easy, I went under the car and took the air inlet line off the back of the inlet air filter, pliers needed to squeeze the spring clip,and put some oil in the hose. Or you can work inside the car, take the spare wheel out and take out the air filter in the spare wheel well (3 nuts) and the hose pulls through with it.
Need I have bothered? Maybe just oil the filter foam, no need to even take the wheel out. A 5 year old could do it, no problem at all! I did oil my foam as well and will be doing so again regularly form now on.
Why isn't it done as part of standard maintenance, say every engine oil change?
Enjoy
The following users liked this post:
christianaudi (06-21-2019)
Old 06-09-2009, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Could we get a picture of the air supply line in the spare tire well or the intake on the compressor?
Old 07-29-2009, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sam, can you provide pics to where you placed the oil or the option in the spare tire well? I'd greatly appreciate it. Feel to email pics to
joeywrx2@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Joe
Old 09-04-2009, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Same diagnosis, might save $525 ++, Cheaper compressor too

I've been told by dealer also about "bad valve block, pay $525 for part". Will give the old notion of lubrication a try this weekend. Also, eBay's got new compressors for $360 v. the dealer's $900.

Photo of valve block lubrication would be appreciated...

Quick Reply: air suspension valve block problems