S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Waterless car wash products

Old 02-01-2012, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waterless car wash products

Anyone use the waterless or rinseless car wash products?

Any preference on brand (there are dozens) or on waterless vs rinseless? Thought I might give one a try. Maybe they're all about equal and you just shop based on price?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:26 PM
ayk
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by EF99
Anyone use the waterless or rinseless car wash products?

Any preference on brand (there are dozens) or on waterless vs rinseless? Thought I might give one a try. Maybe they're all about equal and you just shop based on price?
I've used a couple different brands. I caught a deal of some waterless wash from Griot's garage and it's served me well. Can't say if one brand is better than another. I will say that the Griot's garage stuff smells good though

Like you said, price is probably the main factor
Old 02-02-2012, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I don't like washing my car with anything other than a full car wash shampoo if it is dirty with anything more than light dust (in which case using detail spray is fine to touch up a spot or two). It's a good way to end up with swirls. a microfiber towel with waterless wash just does not do a good enough job of providing enough lubrication and picking dirt up off the paint (versus using a wash mitt and a full shampoo with suds) and can end up just dragging it across the clearcoat.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

This unusual winter I've been able to hand water-wash almost continuously, in fact I just did so yesterday in 60+ degf.

But in last winter's snow-lock I did use Griot's waterless car wash a number of times and was always satisfied. You must of course be careful to use plenty of spray and multiple microfiber towels to avoid scratching.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...,+35+ounces.do
Old 02-02-2012, 12:17 PM
ayk
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by helix139
Personally I don't like washing my car with anything other than a full car wash shampoo if it is dirty with anything more than light dust (in which case using detail spray is fine to touch up a spot or two). It's a good way to end up with swirls. a microfiber towel with waterless wash just does not do a good enough job of providing enough lubrication and picking dirt up off the paint (versus using a wash mitt and a full shampoo with suds) and can end up just dragging it across the clearcoat.
I felt the same way for a long time, but after speaking to some professional detailers (while having my car detailed) I've picked up the habit of using the waterless wash (they use it all the time). I live in Seattle so it rains quite a bit so spending 10-15 mins a week on the car really helps keep it clean. If it gets some serious dirt on there though, I always turn to the standard wash of course, which is what the detailers I've talk to also recommend.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ayk
I felt the same way for a long time, but after speaking to some professional detailers (while having my car detailed) I've picked up the habit of using the waterless wash (they use it all the time). I live in Seattle so it rains quite a bit so spending 10-15 mins a week on the car really helps keep it clean. If it gets some serious dirt on there though, I always turn to the standard wash of course, which is what the detailers I've talk to also recommend.
I suppose, but I give my car more than 10-15 mins a week. We have quite the rainy season in FL and I give it a full wash every 1-2 weeks. I visit the detailer 2-3 times a year so everything in between is trying to keep swirls and scratches off of the clearcoat.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I use Optimum No Rinse when the car is not too dirty. It works for me, and it smells good, too.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I also use nothing but Optimum No Rinse. Never had any marring issues. I use the 2 bucket method.I use water from my RO unit,2 gls in my ONR bucket and about 3 gls in my rinse bucket. If it's really dirty I have an ONR mix in a sprayer and I'll do a pre soak. Never an issue with spotting or water dripping out from every where.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RCM09
I also use nothing but Optimum No Rinse. Never had any marring issues. I use the 2 bucket method.I use water from my RO unit,2 gls in my ONR bucket and about 3 gls in my rinse bucket. If it's really dirty I have an ONR mix in a sprayer and I'll do a pre soak. Never an issue with spotting or water dripping out from every where.
ONR here as well, love the stuff.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sunstealer
ONR here as well, love the stuff.
Same here. Use it year round, no issues.I always presoak with ONR in a sprayer first.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Waterless car wash products