A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No remote starter on a $80k car, seriously???

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 06:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No remote starter on a $80k car, seriously???

I can't for the life of me understand why an $80k+ flagship car doesn't come standard with a remote start or at least have it as a factory option. It has so many ridiculous and silly options but is lacking one important one? I can think of a dozen options that I would trade to add a remote starter. My sister's $18k Kia has a factory remote starter. What gives?? I know it gets cold in Germany too. It's in the single digits here with 40mph winds which puts it well into the negative windchill. I love my A8 but on mornings like this my wife's minivan with the remote starter looks better and better all the time.

I've done a pretty exhaustive search but is it safe to say that nobody does a "plug an play" remote starter for this car? I've learned my lesson before and I am not interested in splicing into this wiring system to install a universal one. I'd love to hear what some of you have done in this situation. I can't wait until my kids are older so I can go make them start it up. Hahaha.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok, I had to rant a little. I'm still trying to thaw out from this morning. But seriously, if my Audi didn't have such HOT heated seats and the heated steering wheel, the minivan would have won this morning.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Because in Germany they have remote start Aux Heaters, or programmable ones... Why run the engine when you just want to warm the car up?? That is why they have the Aux heater which warms everything up. Unfortunately this is not an option in the US. You could but the parts from Germany and retrofit them.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I usually just send my driver, James, out to start the car while I enjoy some coffee and the morning newspaper.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Well, order of things should go like this: before buying an $80K car one should already have a garage. They usually come with all kind of heaters. Or Webasto from Europe.

P.S. Chauffeur is an excellent idea too.

Last edited by mishar; 12-10-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Yeah, seriously.

Audi's have never had such a feature. A variety of things like this I think are also considered safety issues they probably don't want to get involved with--CO poisoning, kids throwing car in gear, theft, etc. That's aside from the emissions and fuel economy they probably also don't want to deal with in this day and age.

Net, just not an Audi design thing. Zero issue w/ me in 35 + years of driving 'em, including in the cold. For that matter, wasn't ever a factory option on any other car I have owned either in the U.S. market--Mini, Smart, Honda, Toyota, Chrysler, Ford.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here in Europe, it is illegal to leave a car idling when parked, even on private land which is publicly accessible - so that is probably why. (environmental law rather than safety or security)
Old 12-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 1Wasserwerks
I usually just send my driver, James, out to start the car while I enjoy some coffee and the morning newspaper.

Can you send him over my way after he starts your car?

I do have a garage however my Mercedes CLK430 gets to sleep in there for the winter. The rest of it is full of motorcycles and boats.

I may look into the engine block heater though. That's not a bad idea, I've had them on a few cars in the past. It's a requirement on anything that's a diesel up here. The diesel will actually turn to gel because it gets so cold.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm not trying to complain but dang, this kind of cold takes your breath away.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krazzz
I'm not trying to complain but dang, this kind of cold takes your breath away.
Krazzz
I'm with you on this one. We are at a high of 16 today and this morning was 2 with a windchill. My wife 2014 mini van as remote start heated steering wheel, heated seat ect. Drove my truck this morning just because of the remote start.

Quick Reply: No remote starter on a $80k car, seriously???