Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

MMI Malfunction - Shutting Down

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 06:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI Malfunction - Shutting Down

So, I just took delivery of my new 2015 Q7 Sline w/MMI Nav Plus on Saturday night (11/15/14). On Monday morning (11/17) the MMI screen went black and MMI shut off when I was about 5 minutes from my office. After getting to the office, I left the car shut off for about 30 minutes, when I started the car, the MMI came back up to the "initilizing" screen. I chalked it up to a fluke.

BUT - on my way home tonight (11/18), about 5 minutes from home. the MMI shut down again. The shut down means the screen is black and all function buttons were out. (see pics). I will be taking the car back for the dealership to check it out and fix the issue.

Have any of you had the same issues? On a 2 day old Audi?

Old 11-18-2014, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I used to occasionally get a black screen when backing up. After a reset it cleared. It is worth a shot if you haven't tried it.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

And you can call Audi anytime. They've been great on the phone and I think it is 24x7.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SamLV
And you can call Audi anytime. They've been great on the phone and I think it is 24x7.
Thanks for the feedback. I will try the complete reset and see if that helps.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SamLV
Other than the three finger MMI reset, they will tell you to take it to the dealer.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default MMI Shutting Down - Detailed Observation

Update: I take the Q7 into dealership on Friday afternoon (first opportunity my schedule allows) for them to (hopefully) fix the possessed MMI.

Here is what I've documented:

--Problem started on Monday, 11/17 (on day 2 after pick up)

--Problem occurs after I have been driving for approximately 25 - 40 minutes.

--I noticed last night that, just before the screen goes black and MMI dies; the screen actually brightens up to what seems to be max bright setting.

--Pressing the "screen on" button will bring the MMI back up... but
...Steering wheel buttons will not work.
...Backup/Front cameras will not come up, even though the MMI screen is on - it stays on what ever setting it is currently on (usually Media).

-- MMI will not immediately shut down after engine is turned off and door is opened
...nor will it shut down even after doors are locked.

-- Letting the car sit for about 20-30 minutes seems to resolve the problem - at least until I drive for another 25+ minutes.

Here is a video showing engine off, door open and MMI still running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olcw...ature=youtu.be

Theory: MMI is overheating.

Anyone else experiencing these symptoms?
Old 11-20-2014, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Never experienced this but my bet is on a faulty controller. Wait and see what the dealer says. Assuming they can replicate the problem, they'll probably end up just replacing the whole subassembly.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Never experienced this but my bet is on a faulty controller. Wait and see what the dealer says. Assuming they can replicate the problem, they'll probably end up just replacing the whole subassembly.
I am taking video to show them exactly what is happening. I've documented everything so they should be able to replicate the issue, even if they need to leave the vehicle running for 30-45 minutes until it fails. My bet is that, by the time I get to the dealership tomorrow afternoon, the unit will be in its bi-polar mode and I will take the tech out and let them see for themselves.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

nope,
i never heard of such fast problem.. extremely bad luck.. not to say something else!!!
Old 11-22-2014, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by compusat
nope,
i never heard of such fast problem.. extremely bad luck.. not to say something else!!!
Pretty disheartning since this is my first Audi, waited 6 months for delivery and it's already having issues.

I did drop it off at the dealership yesterday, and it was acting up at the time I took it in; so the service advisor was able to see first hand what is going on. He did a full system reset while I was there and that did not solve the problem. I am expecting a call today with what they found and when I can expect to get my Q7 back.

In the meantime, I'm in an A4 Sline.

Quick Reply: MMI Malfunction - Shutting Down