S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 startup rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 05:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 startup rattle

Hello, I have a 2013 S4 that started having a rattle at start up after sitting overnight. The rattle started after about 35,000 miles on the car. The dealer was unable to determine from 35,000 to just below 50,000 what was causing the rattle. Now after finding a recording of the noise the dealer says it is normal and due to lack of oil until the engine is started. I requested any technical support for the issue and was given a service bulletin for a 2004 A6 3.0 V6. Anyone else have this issue or no of why the 2004 V6 would be compared to the 3.0T. From what I can see the two engines have different bore and stroke, cylinder heads and displacement.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:29 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

You are right the 2004 3.0 is completely different form the 3.0T. The 3.0T is actually based off the Audi 3.2 V6 with significant changes. I had my B8 S4 for 52k miles and never had a startup rattle. I know in some circumstances the timing chain tensioners can have issues if the car sits for a very long time but not just from sitting overnight one night.

Personally I would take it to a different dealer.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Different dealer, yes...

But if its from oil dripping out of the top of the motor, that means your oil filter likely doesn't have a check valve...

Always buy a filter with a good check valve and a metal base.

Just my $.02 based on the limited info provided.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the same rattle on my 2013, im guessing it is the downpipes??
Old 02-20-2015, 03:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I spoke to my mechanic who works on my 84 911 who worked for Audi and he thought the 2004 A6 reference was humorous. He said is was most likely a pretensioner issue and would not cause a problem until 100,000+ miles. He said it was disappointing that a quality issue like this that Audi identified in 2004 still exhists
Old 02-20-2015, 05:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbsmtp
I spoke to my mechanic who works on my 84 911 who worked for Audi and he thought the 2004 A6 reference was humorous. He said is was most likely a pretensioner issue and would not cause a problem until 100,000+ miles. He said it was disappointing that a quality issue like this that Audi identified in 2004 still exhists
This is correct. After the car sits over the weekend or even just a few hours the oil will bleed out of the chain tensioner. The rattle may last 2-3 seconds tops before its gone. And I don't think there is any chance of engine damage.

JustDriveIt!
Old 02-21-2015, 03:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is real challenge this is my Audi and I very much feel this is a better car than 335 but call it what you want this is a quality issue that Audi who markets with the slogan truth in engineering has opted not to address. I also don't think it shows good common sense to not address for myself as an owner to ignore an internal engine rattles. None of any of the 5 other vehicles I own remotely have an issue like this car and it was the most expensive.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is real challenge this is my Audi and I very much feel this is a better car than 335 but call it what you want this is a quality issue that Audi who markets with the slogan truth in engineering has opted not to address. I also don't think it shows good common sense to not address for myself as an owner to ignore an internal engine rattles. None of any of the 5 other vehicles I own remotely have an issue like this car and it was the most expensive.
Sorry meant to say third Audi
Old 02-21-2015, 06:18 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

It is not an Audi quality issue. It is an extremely complicated machine and all machines can have issues. Many others do not have your issue. I am sorry you have this problem, but the people telling you to ignore it are wrong. Take it somewhere else where they will properly investigate and repair your problem. Sadly it is more of a poor dealership or tech problem. If you have no other dealership to go to then escalate to Audi corporate. They certainly don't want to see an unhappy customer and lose potential future sales.

Last edited by gk1; 02-21-2015 at 06:21 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the comments. I have contacted AoA and will share any comments I receive. Below is a link to a youtube video of an Audi S4 that makes the same noise below, any feedback is appreciated.

Did hear from AoA and they cannot do anything as it is the dealers call. I am free to take to another dealer.

Last edited by jbsmtp; 02-22-2015 at 11:27 AM. Reason: update

Quick Reply: S4 startup rattle