Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2015 A6 Sim Card??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 A6 Sim Card??

My wife just purchased a CPO 2015 A6 (finally converting her over from the MB world!). We'll be taking delivery in the next day or so but had a question about the Audi Connect / Sim Card for it.

I purchased a 2012 A6 CPO a couple of years ago (from the same dealership) and it came with the sim card and a 6 month trial for Audi Connect, etc. I didn't opt to continue the service after the 6 months.

On her CPO, it has even less miles (about 3300!) but the sim card is not present. I asked the sales guy about it and he is claiming that the trial service must have already been used and thus we'd have to get a new sim card. The 2015 A6 had been used in the dealership's "loaner program" so is would doubt that it had been used. (I've used several of their loaner cars over the years and never has it been included while being used a a loaner.)

Just trying to see if I should press him to get at least the sim card, even if it had been activated. Mostly just trying to provide my wife with all the bells and whistles as much as possible to more quickly erase the MB memories!
Old 08-31-2015, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by thehedge
My wife just purchased a CPO 2015 A6 (finally converting her over from the MB world!). We'll be taking delivery in the next day or so but had a question about the Audi Connect / Sim Card for it.

I purchased a 2012 A6 CPO a couple of years ago (from the same dealership) and it came with the sim card and a 6 month trial for Audi Connect, etc. I didn't opt to continue the service after the 6 months.

On her CPO, it has even less miles (about 3300!) but the sim card is not present. I asked the sales guy about it and he is claiming that the trial service must have already been used and thus we'd have to get a new sim card. The 2015 A6 had been used in the dealership's "loaner program" so is would doubt that it had been used. (I've used several of their loaner cars over the years and never has it been included while being used a a loaner.)

Just trying to see if I should press him to get at least the sim card, even if it had been activated. Mostly just trying to provide my wife with all the bells and whistles as much as possible to more quickly erase the MB memories!
My understanding is the free trial is not for a CPO or demos, only new cars and the card itself is irrelevant - it's not tied to a free trail or anything else - only an acct in your name. You can get a T-mobile card directly from them and pick one of their plans (expensive) or since it's a 2015, you can also get an AT&T sim card which will also work in 3G (unlike your MY2012). There are several threads on using AT&T on their shared plan, if your phone is already using that carrier - do an AW search for "Audi Connect AT&T". If you want to stay with T-Mobile, you can also get a much less expensive month to month plan with US Mobile which uses the T-Mobile network - do a search for "US Mobile Audi Connect. TruPhone is yet another inexpensive alternative.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
My understanding is the free trial is not for a CPO or demos, only new cars and the card itself is irrelevant - it's not tied to a free trail or anything else - only an acct in your name. You can get a T-mobile card directly from them and pick one of their plans (expensive) or since it's a 2015, you can also get an AT&T sim card which will also work in 3G (unlike your MY2012). There are several threads on using AT&T on their shared plan, if your phone is already using that carrier - do an AW search for "Audi Connect AT&T". If you want to stay with T-Mobile, you can also get a much less expensive month to month plan with US Mobile which uses the T-Mobile network - do a search for "US Mobile Audi Connect. TruPhone is yet another inexpensive alternative.
Thanks for the info and clearing it up. The sales guy was adamant that the sim card had to match the car (which I thought was odd) but given the changes between 2012 and 2015, I just wanted to verify before purchasing a "matching card" from them.

My 2012 now feels "so old" .

I'm glad they put the visual display for the environmental controls back on the MMI. Missed that when I moved form a 2005 to the 2012. (Did talk to Audi about how important that was when I purchased the 2012.) Her 2015 has the 3-zone heating/cooling so perhaps that's where the MMI feedback comes. I also like that here heating cooling has the numeric temperature values displayed while on the 2012 it was not. Always have to look down and try to read the black numbers off the ring around the temperature ****. (On the 2012, I adjust it more by clicks, i.e. I start off with it set at 70 (straight up) and then if I need it warmer/cooler click up down counting the clicks while driving. Otherwise, there is no other feedback and looking down to try to read the new setting off the ring is not safe.)

The 3 spoke steering wheel on the 2015 looks much nicer than the 4 spoke I have on the 2012.

And paddle shifters are now standard? The 2015 has them but they are not on the 2012.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

As usual, sales people are not always as knowledgeable as they believe.

Audi gets many things right with the MMI and others not so much. You'll discover a few post 2012 shortcomings as time goes on but none I've found are deal breakers, mostly just annoyances.

I assume you have a non-Sport? Not positve but I believe paddles were added as standard on Prem+/Prestige after MY2013 or 14 (others can confirm if that's correct). The 2012 and 13 required the Sport Package to get 3 spoke and paddles.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Since I have my car 1 1/2 years audi 6 2016 i cannot find my sim card pin number.
Please help so i can activate wi fi in my car?
Old 07-11-2017, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 1nmonigan
Since I have my car 1 1/2 years audi 6 2016 i cannot find my sim card pin number.
Please help so i can activate wi fi in my car?
There is no pin required for wifi. You just join the car's wireless network with your phone and enter the password you created. This, of course, assumes you have an active Audi Connect plan.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I just got a 16 Q5 CPO and it came with Audi connect, 6 months. I have the Freeedompop in my A8, but do not like it, so i may look for other options for the Q
Old 08-30-2017, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by trippy64
I just got a 16 Q5 CPO and it came with Audi connect, 6 months. I have the Freeedompop in my A8, but do not like it, so i may look for other options for the Q
I'm in the same position. My trial just expired, I'm not happy about a $20/mo extension (along with the fact that I don't like AT&T) and my access has ended. What other options are you looking into and what didn't you like about Freedompop?
Old 08-30-2017, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a used, non-CPO 2016 in Feb. The dealer got a SIM card for me that included a 6 month trial. It had just expired last week. I was planning on looking into renewing.

I just had my car in for the 15k service. They updated the software on my car to address a couple of issues, but found that the SIM card I had was old and not compatible with the newer software. They got me a new SIM card....and it came with a 6 month trial. I'll have to look at renewing next Feb.

I think you should push the salesman for a SIM card with a trial. Otherwise, how would you know if you really want it?
Old 09-04-2017, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

With Freedompop, you are always roaming, so you always have to answer the question. and for some reason, my MyAudi account no longer syncs up even after regenerating the PIN. and it is still 2G in our area, so it is just as slow as the T-mobile one i was paying for. I am looking at seeing if i can convert the car to A&TT, as i have all my other accounts with them. But then, i may also be selling the car, it isn't worth **** and i am paying too much to keep it on the road. But for the Q i need to do something and haven't sorted it out yet.

Quick Reply: 2015 A6 Sim Card??