Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 06:59 AM
jes
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3G modem update, details?

I trying to decide whether to get the 3G modem update. My dilemma is:
  • I have a low milage 2013
  • My service writer told me that a module, more than just the 3G modem will be replaced.
  • What is that module? What/how much is included? (DVD drive, SIM/SDRAM slots)
  • Is the module new or refurbished? The thought of replacing a perfectly good part from my car with a refurb. unit that might be something like a heavily used failure repair from a 2010, isn't very appealing... :-/
  • The cellular service is a low priority for me, but I'm thinking if I don't have it done, it might affect the resale value if I ever sell the car.

Any feedback would be appreciated...
Old 02-25-2016, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I'm not sure what specifically gets replaced, but they open up the 5F module and replace the modem and maybe some pieces around it. The 5F module is the head unit that sits above the climate control, so it's the guts of the MMI with everything in it. They then update the firmware to K0814. They don't replace the harddisk or anything else. The map data will stay the same, they only update the firmware and no data should be lost as part of the process. These are new modules, why would they be refurbished?

It's very low risk. If they bust the MMI in the process, you'll get a new 5F module and I'm sure if you have issues with it within a certain amount of time, you have a claim that they fix it under warranty, even if the car is out of warranty. Generally if you had some work done under warranty and an issue related to that shows up later once you are out of warranty, Audi will fix it under warranty.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:07 PM
jes
AudiWorld Member

A scenario for such a procedure could be to replace a simpler to install, larger piece of equipment to eliminate the need (& ESD risk) of the field replacing the smaller part "on site". That would then involve a return/refurbish process to feed the pipeline.

When my service writer told me that a module, more than just the 3G modem would be replaced, I was concerned that might be the case.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:50 PM
jes
AudiWorld Member

Update: I was at my dealer today & talked to the parts department prior to my appt. They confirmed the campaign uses a new module & as always with campaigns like this, the old one is returned to Audi.

... so the slightly paranoid, overprotective owner is calmer now & there is a 3G lit up on the dash display again.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

After finding out my 2013 is 2G only (and 2G seems to be getting more sparse), how much were you quoted to upgrade to 3G? I might consider that, if affordable.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisTX
After finding out my 2013 is 2G only (and 2G seems to be getting more sparse), how much were you quoted to upgrade to 3G? I might consider that, if affordable.
The upgrade is free, but it is/was only available to original owners that had an active Audi connect subscription at the time. There's word on the street that Audi isn't doing the upgrades anymore. I've also heard that there is a new module coming out, because the old one wasn't working properly. I'm not having any issues with it, though. I'm happily using AT&T now with an official $10/month subscription as part of my AT&T shared data plan.

The part can be purchased at a couple of places and if you find a dealer willing to do the install, then that's pretty much it. I believe at least one owner around here has been able to get their dealer to do the install after purchasing the part.

Converter Kit | Genuine Audi | 8T0-051-431 : Audi Wholesale OEM Parts - Audi Genuine Accessories - AudiUSAParts.com e-Store

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...kit/8t0051431/

EDIT: Sorry I just realized that they are no longer available for purchase.