Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

5K or 10K for oil changes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 06:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5K or 10K for oil changes?

Just got a 2012 A6, and brought it into an independent Audi/VW mechanic for pre-sale inspection. Passed with flying colors, but mechanic suggested an oil change every 5,000 miles vs 10k. Wondering what you all do or if this is common practice despite the recommended 10k. Thanks for any input.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wouldn't hurt the car to have 5k oil changes.

But since you're using synthetic oil anyway, unless you're driving in heavy traffic all day (full-time Uber driver), it won't make your engine last noticeably longer nor make the car worth more when you sell it. If it sat most of the time, you'd come up to a yearly change before you'd think about miles. Either way is fine....one just costs more.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

I have chosen to go with the 5k mile interval. Call me old school, but I am more comfortable with 5k.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I have chosen to go with the 5k mile interval. Call me old school, but I am more comfortable with 5k.
+1. My dealer likes me better if I visit more frequently than every 10,000 miles -- LOL. Seriously, you will find a variance of opinion here but like Kevin, I'm more comfortable with 5K intervals. You will do no damage to your engine changing the oil early.

Best,
Jeff
Old 05-15-2016, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have done extensive oil analysis on both the 3.0 TFSI, 4.0 TFSI and other engines like the VW group 2.0 TFSI, 5.4 triton, 3.5 ecoboost, etc and if a premium quality synthetic oil is used (some are much better than others) modern engines can actually go quite a bit longer than the manufacturers oil change interval...meaning if 10K on a 3.0 TFSI then 12-13,000 miles are acceptable and still within the safe range. Every engine is different so oil analysis is always recommended due to how the engine was broken in, how it's driven and again the type of oils used. Changing the oil at 5K, IMO, is a bit excessive especially if we are talking after the engine has flushed out the early life debris from the motor. Check out my thread in the C7 forum...in my last post I compare my 4.0 TFSI engine vs my MB 3.0 blue tech. My car was broken in using moto-man, the MB using the manufacturers recommendation. My car I used my typical, early, oil change intervals while still breaking in the engine. The MB I have followed all recommendations for oil changes and maintenance per manufacturer.

The point is...if and engine is broken in correctly you can actually go for slightly longer oil changes later...where with the MB, Blackstone is now recommending a early oil change interval b/c the engine is not doing that great and it is showing early signs of longer term problems.

Which engine do you want to own long term?

Just sharing my thoughts on the topic. Thanks.

2016 Audi S6 Engine Oil Analysis Thread
Old 05-16-2016, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

personally I've always half the manufacture recommended interval for oil change. So yes I am doing mine at 5k miles.

I do my own oil changes so cost is relatively low and can be done within 20 mins
Old 05-16-2016, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I am into my fifth new Audi since 2005 (leases) and for all of them I stick to the recommended schedule. My driving style and conditions are very easy on the motor.
I disagree with some of the other posters here who said that changing the oil more frequently can’t hurt the car. To my way of thinking you expose your vehicle to some kind of untoward negative outcome/damage every time you let a mechanic touch it. Bring it in for that “to be safe” 5K oil change and they can rip the upholstery, or forget the soft mat for the front fender and scratch the paint, or fail to fill the oil, or forget to tighten the filler cap, or, or…..
I am very happy when I do not have to bring the car to a dealer, no matter how good they are.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

One thing i noticed while waiting for 10k to change oil is that the engine is not as smooth beyond 6000 miles after oil change. I may try 5000 miles change on my next service to keep the car smooth. Also, you may not have to deal of add 1 quart of oil beyond 5k miles. I added roughly 2 quarts in my last 10k miles.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you all for the replies, great to get a few different perspectives on the matter. For me it sounds like I'll probably change every 7.5k. Seems a good compromise between the two and all the benefits and pitfalls you have pointed out.

Thanks again!
Old 07-17-2016, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think timed interval of 6 months and reusing the filter once is the best plan.

I change visc for summer and winter, so a NOV & MAY time frame gives me that. Never have to change it out in the cold that way either. Fresh oil is almost a necessity in cold climates.

I don't have to count miles like a maniac or even think about it. If you go 10k in 6 months, your oil condition is probable fine anyway, mostly long trips. On the other hand, if your driving is short trips, where 10k means 5000 2-mil drives where the engine doesn't get hot enough to burn off condensation and excess fuel....well, 6 months is ideal for you too.

maybe let the dealer or mechanic do one change at the time of state inspection, and DiY yourself 6 months later, DON'T even have to mess with the filter, just drain and fill. How could anyone argue that this is a bad idea for $25 of oil? Personally, I don't run a bellypan anyway.... You can adjust the visc for summer or winter as a bonus. See my other recent post...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...2903543/page3/

There is no substitute for physically draining oil contaminates, old oil + water & fuel mixed and warmed....yuk. I'd rather use a cheap oil at 6 months than a boutique oil and wait a year to dump it. Reusing the filter is also a no-brainer at 6 months.

I can't get into every nuance of old wives tales and bad habits and "my mechanic said"....these are silly mind games that takes away from healthy maintenance at the right cost.

Want to throw out a filter rated for 20,000km and 2 years at 3000 or 5000 miles? Have you ever cut one open and inspected for anything lodged in the media? Well, that or using a cartridge filter that you can inspect, it will open your eyes.

I can unscrew the 2.0T filter halfway to release the valve seal, hear the oil gurgle out thru the bottom, and retighten it, what could be easier?

Last edited by Audi Junkie; 07-17-2016 at 06:39 PM.

Quick Reply: 5K or 10K for oil changes?