A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Sudden Brake on Backup

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 09:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sudden Brake on Backup

Occasionally (and not repeatable on demand) I will be backing up at low speed, say into a parking space, with absolutely nothing behind me or even really near me and the brakes will go on and the alert beeps continuously. Just as quickly the brake releases and the beeping stops. The braking is similar to what happens if you open the door while the car is moving except that the parking brake does not engage. The door is definitely not open.

This is on a 2017 A4 Prestige.

The dealer could not find a fault.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 08-05-2016, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like the rear cross traffic alert is being triggered.
The following users liked this post:
audimb (12-06-2021)
Old 08-05-2016, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by weinstoc
Occasionally (and not repeatable on demand) I will be backing up at low speed, say into a parking space, with absolutely nothing behind me or even really near me and the brakes will go on and the alert beeps continuously. Just as quickly the brake releases and the beeping stops. The braking is similar to what happens if you open the door while the car is moving except that the parking brake does not engage. The door is definitely not open.

I had this happen on my Q7 (same technology). I was parallel parking & as I was backing up, apparently the system saw a metal trash container that was sitting about a foot back from the edge of the curb. I guess the car thought the trash can was going too fast because it slammed on the brakes & protested loudly. Kinda unnerving when you're not expecting it .
Old 08-05-2016, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

It's part of rear cross traffic alert. Unfortunately, it has not been perfected yet. I've had it think a parked car was about to hit me.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by weinstoc

Do you hear a scraping/grinding noise when that happens?

I was parallel parking and the beeping was getting louder but I saw that I still had enough space so I kept backing up then I heard a sudden scraping noise (and the car stopped).

I thought I curbed the rim and the car stopped cause it hit the curb but I saw no damage.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Williams
Do you hear a scraping/grinding noise when that happens?

I was parallel parking and the beeping was getting louder but I saw that I still had enough space so I kept backing up then I heard a sudden scraping noise (and the car stopped).

I thought I curbed the rim and the car stopped cause it hit the curb but I saw no damage.
Something like this happened to me once too when backing up into my garage. I don't think it was rear cross traffic alert, because when I had that go off before, the dash told me it activated. It didn't for this.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

I had this happen once so far, in a parking garage driving in reverse, abrupt stop without anything near the back within 4-6 feet, no warning first, just the brake engaging for a second or so
Old 08-09-2016, 06:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is what the technician at Sewickley Audi (Pittsburgh) wrote on the service order when returning my car:

Unable to reproduce concern. Discuss the concern with Audi of America to confirm functionality of "rear cross traffic assist". If the vehicle system deems the probability of impact is high, it will issue a tactile warning, which consists of a "brake jolt" initiated by the ABS control unit, lasting about 1 second...it is not possible to disable the rear cross traffic assist w/o defeating park assist manually...there are no faults in the vehicle currently, nor is there any modification or reprogramming available from the manufacturer currently.
The following users liked this post:
Louise Carrie Wales (07-02-2019)
Old 08-09-2016, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out this review

From 8:50-9:55 he talks about the issues he's had with DAP. Overall a good review. I'm glad I didn't pick that option in my opinion.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the pointer to the Car Gurus review. I think that the backup issue comes "standard"...at least on the Prestige. I did not buy a special drivers assist package.

Quick Reply: Sudden Brake on Backup