Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Traffic light information system

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Traffic light information system

I read that Audi will be adding a Traffic light Information function to Audi Connect for certain 2017 models that will give drivers a red light countdown function so they know how long they can text while sitting at a traffic light. I am old and old school, but this seems to me totally unnecessary and potentially dangerous. In my view it will encourage people to text - to me a bad thing. I believe that a driver should be paying attention to what's around them, even while at a traffic light.
Many things can be going on like an emergency vehicle coming up from behind or a skidding car on an icy road coming at you from a side road. I think we are already at the point where many people are barely focusing on the primary job of a driver – driving. Things like this will make things even worse, by telling people it is OK to be isolated and totally out of touch with the environment around them while driving (other vehicles, pedestrians, bikers, animals, etc.), which to me is tempting fate.
If self-driving cars are coming (I guess they are) so be it, but something like this development does not seem advisable when the driver is still driving. Throw your stones, but that’s my take.

Last edited by irenesbob; 08-15-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you, however some places in Europe and Asia already have this feature on traffic lights - so it's not a completely new concept...

Old 08-15-2016, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More information here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...odels-2905292/
Old 08-16-2016, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I am old and old school, but this seems to me totally unnecessary and potentially dangerous. In my view it will encourage people to text - to me a bad thing.
I think that in New York State it's illegal. Texting or talking with a phone held to your ear can get you a ticket. Doesn't matter if you're moving or stopped at a light. You're operating a motor vehicle and you should be aware of what's going on around you and your car.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I think that in New York State it's illegal. Texting or talking with a phone held to your ear can get you a ticket. Doesn't matter if you're moving or stopped at a light. You're operating a motor vehicle and you should be aware of what's going on around you and your car.
It's illegal in California too but so is going over the speed limit and that's not enforced either.
Driving is a craft, a sport, a skill and there is only .01% of the population that try to hone those endeavors, even into their latter years. Todays newly licensed drivers only had to find their way to the DMV to be qualified to operate a killing machine.
The authorities objective is to get people mobile so that they can get to work and pay taxes. The fact that people die pursuing the primary objective is considered collateral damage because it's cheaper than educating the driving public or enforcing good driving.

Counting down the duration of the impending red light only serves to enable drivers to either time their deceleration or to floor it to run it.
A large percentage of traffic signals have a countdown for pedestrian crossing and I use it to determine when the signal will change. The OP's comment is a more intended implementation of what frequently already exists and if used wisely can be useful.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DB22
Todays newly licensed drivers only had to find their way to the DMV to be qualified to operate a killing machine...
LOL I agree 100%

What we really need in metropolitan areas in particular is something to tell drivers in the right lane to move over in advance of the merge when that lane is ending. The 4 or 5 signs in the last 1/2 mile saying "lane ends 1/2 mile". “lane ends 1/4 mile", etc. do nothing to raise the consciousness of many drivers. They stay in the right lane (passing as many cars as they can) and at the last minute cut off the car to their left that is driving properly. Many times they flip the bird and yell “move over” or worse with a sense of entitlement and as if the driver minding their business in the correct lane is at fault for their missing or ignoring all the “lane ending” signs. Just one of my pet peeves.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI ..."Audi's new tech makes traffic lights more tolerable"

Old 12-06-2016, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Good idea but any YouTube that shows an idiot having to look at the camera instead of the road automatically puts the host in dumper. You don't have to look at anybody to talk to them and if you do, while driving, then you are a bad driver.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
Good idea but any YouTube that shows an idiot having to look at the camera instead of the road automatically puts the host in dumper. You don't have to look at anybody to talk to them and if you do, while driving, then you are a bad driver.
+1

This guy is a menace
Old 12-07-2016, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It is an interesting concept in some sense, but what cost does it add to the car? Cars are getting so expensive these days. To me the same group of drivers that ignore the physical road signs and indicators in use today is going to ignore/misuse the dashboard countdown, seeing it more as an OK to diddle daddle at the wheel than anything designed to expedite traffic movement.

Quick Reply: Traffic light information system