A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 A8 Tire(road) Noise

Old 11-22-2016, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2016 A8 Tire(road) Noise

I bought an Audi A8L 2016 back in July and I must say it is one noisy beast. It seems to me that Audi could have chosen tires that produce much less road noise. I traded a 2010 MB E350 RWD that came with Michelin MXM type tires and that car was much quieter than the A8L that came with Pirelli P Zero Nero tires. I did notice that Pirelli makes a tire with the same name with an added descriptive called " Noise Cancelling Version" that runs about $35 a tire more.
My question is, do any other Audi, A8L version D4 have the same noise complaint problem as I do and do you know if any other quality tire makers, Michelin, etc. make ties that fit the Audi 20" wheels that are far quieter.
I was quite disappointed after owning the car for about 4 months for it to become obvious to me the only way I know how to cure the road noise problem permanently is to trade it in for a different brand. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, I'm not in love with the 22 way adjustable seats which are difficult to adjust and find a comfortable seating position and the ability to adjust the seats to message you while driving doesn't seem to be a big plus as I find the "Wave" position more like a message designed more torturous than pleasurable. Again, any similar thoughts. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Love the massage, myself, but to each his own. Perhaps turning down the strength may make it nicer. The Pirelli's are known to be noisy. Double pane windows were a good option to cut that back, but outside that, smaller rims with different brand tires work, assuming you don't feel like popping for the noise cancelling ones(work very well, I'm told.) So, all is not lost.

Edit: Also, if you are having trouble getting the seats adjusted, break out the owners manual to make sure you're not missing something. At the end of the day, with that comprehensive of adjustments, not being comfortable is a choice.

Last edited by Jack88; 11-22-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 1guitar
I bought an Audi A8L 2016 back in July and I must say it is one noisy beast. It seems to me that Audi could have chosen tires that produce much less road noise. I traded a 2010 MB E350 RWD that came with Michelin MXM type tires and that car was much quieter than the A8L that came with Pirelli P Zero Nero tires. I did notice that Pirelli makes a tire with the same name with an added descriptive called " Noise Cancelling Version" that runs about $35 a tire more.
My question is, do any other Audi, A8L version D4 have the same noise complaint problem as I do and do you know if any other quality tire makers, Michelin, etc. make ties that fit the Audi 20" wheels that are far quieter.
I was quite disappointed after owning the car for about 4 months for it to become obvious to me the only way I know how to cure the road noise problem permanently is to trade it in for a different brand. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, I'm not in love with the 22 way adjustable seats which are difficult to adjust and find a comfortable seating position and the ability to adjust the seats to message you while driving doesn't seem to be a big plus as I find the "Wave" position more like a message designed more torturous than pleasurable. Again, any similar thoughts. Thanks.
Is your car brand new or used? I haven't heard of an Audi coming with Pirelli's. I have Pirelli PZero Nero GT tires for my summer wheels and I don't really hear them. Maybe you should get the noise cancellation feature in your car checked out. Are any of the little mics on the headliner blocked?
Old 11-23-2016, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by triniexr
I haven't heard of an Audi coming with Pirelli's.
Huh?
Old 11-23-2016, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by polo1
Huh?
Usually I hear them coming with Continentals or Michelin. maybe its a Canadian thing lol
Old 11-23-2016, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Nope, all Audi D4 A8's with 20" A/S rubber come as Pirelli P Zero Nero. And yes, they get very noisy after a short while. If I weren't leasing, I'd lose those suckers and replace them with something quieter.

Last edited by derfA8L; 11-23-2016 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pirelli is supposedly releasing a new P Zero tire next month that is newly designed and much quieter.

They have 3 different versions - Luxury sport; sport; super car.

Pirelli - The New P ZEROâ„¢
Old 11-23-2016, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

+ 1 on the factory P zero's being noisy. I'll probably live with them until it's time to replace though.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

The OEM Pirelli tires are indeed noisy but I opted to replace them with the NCS version at 20k which was a dramatic improvement. They are still noisier than other brands perhaps but there are limited options in the stock size. I do have to wonder if the aluminum body doesn't have a sonic resonance not present in a traditional steel vehicle which contributes to the overall noise level although the dual pane windows and noise cancellation system does help. Most road surfaces are okay but concrete in particular seems to me at least, to be the worst offender.

I also love the massage features and settings even around town. But there are lower settings as Jack88 pointed out. Coupled with the heated seats, makes a back with spinal stenosis feel much better!
Old 11-23-2016, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Not an issue on either my D3 or D4, though both w/ double layer glass. But I have basically avoided Pirelli's (save my D3 winters) since some noisemakers I stupidly bought used back on my C5 2000 A6 4.2.

As you get to 265/275 type sizes thats a lot of rubber on the road too. 15 years ago 255 was very wide, and D2 was back about 225 IIRC.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 A8 Tire(road) Noise