A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Audi Sound System upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Sound System upgrade

Hi Everyone,

After some browsing, I notice that I am not the only one that is not entirely happy with the performance of the sound system in this beautiful car..
I did not find anyone who has actually did anything about the audi A4 B9 Avant sound system. I am planning to install these items (done by a professional - not myself ofcourse), I am looking forward to hearing your input on what would make sense.

- damping the doors
- upgrading the 180 watt amp with an DSP and amplifier (mosconi 100.4 DSP)
- Installing new component speakers: Hertz Mille MPK165p
- Custom make a subwoofer enclosure to be hidden behind the left trunk panel
- Adding a subwoofer JL Audio TW-01 and gladen rc600c1 amplifier
Old 11-28-2016, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The car that will receive this upgrade:

Old 12-05-2016, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The audio upgrade has been done

*Foto's are taken by Concept4Cars.

The guys were very professional and came up with an approach that fits my needs. After a fews mails back and forth, they came up with a custom solution:
The Audio A4 B9 Avant has a 6" subwoofer beneath the spare wheel, 8" speakers in the doors and some spare room behind the left booth panel.
The doors are rattling a bit and the sound has an overwhelming middle speaker and has a very dull and hollow spektrum. There is no mentionnable quality bass, apart from a little rattling...

What was done:
1. To increase the quality of sound from the door speakers, a new composet was added, in a custom-made adapter ring. The doors got dampened as well. (dynamat?) The set that was added wat the Hert Mille pro mpk 165p.3

1. A JL Audio low profile TW1 10" 4Ohm was put in a custom made box and inserted in the left booth panel. The panel protection can be put on, making the installation full stealth.

3.This new set of speakers and subwoofer needs to get a proper input to give the required results. TO do that a Mosconi 100.4 DSP amplifier is added, and linket to that amp a Gladen RC600C1 subwoofer amp.
They are both neatly tucked away under the spare tire where the old subwoofer used to be.

To select the custom made profiles (driver or driver&passanger) and adjust the level of bass, a remote is added to the DSP.

When I came to pick up the car, I was more then pleased to hear the result. The level of quality and amount of power out of these small components is really blowing me away. The sub is giving a lot more oomph then I would have expected from a closed enclosure 10litres sub! The amp that gives power to the 3ohm component speakers makes sure the bass does not overrule the other frequencies.
Additionally I can even hear that the frequency spektrum that comes out of the speakers is a lot bigger. Every sound is clear and because of the adjustable bass, depending on the music style, you can easely adjust.

Riding the Audi A4 B9 Avant just became a lot more fun
Old 12-05-2016, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is very impressive upgrade, and one that is very along the lines of something I was thinking based on my listening tastes. Thanks for the excellent documentation on what was done as well. However, how much did this cost?
Old 12-06-2016, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Arkive
That is very impressive upgrade, and one that is very along the lines of something I was thinking based on my listening tastes. Thanks for the excellent documentation on what was done as well. However, how much did this cost?
The cost would depend on the cost of the individual items and labour cost in the country where you are residing.
Products needed:
- Hertz mille MPK 1650.3 PRO
- JL audio 10-TW1-4
- Mosconi 100.4 DSP
- Gladen RC600C1
- ISOCAR connectors to prevent cutting cables
- cables and fuse
- dynamat

labour:
- installation of composet and cables
- Installation of the subwoofer and amplifiers
- setting up and configuring the DSP
- custom make the subwoofer enclosure
--> Total 2Days of work
Old 12-06-2016, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Very nice work
now, how that would be possible reprogramming the MMI to get some tone control if not a full equalizer?
Old 12-06-2016, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bigHUN
Very nice work
now, how that would be possible reprogramming the MMI to get some tone control if not a full equalizer?
The 100.4 amplifier is a digital sound processor as well.
The guys that did the install tuned it and set the equalizer to match my preference.
You can tweak it by creating another profile, selectable by the remote and then switch equaliser profiles.
If you have an android device, with an additional bluethooth dongle you can set it up with your device.
I have an iphone and that is not compatible.
So I have:
1. a computer that I can connect with USB to the Digital sound processor to setup and tweak the equaliser
2. a remote to select between 4 predefined presets.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sitmark
If you have an android device, with an additional bluethooth dongle you can set it up with your device.
bluetooth dongle? mind you sharing some info?
in my droid I like the poweramp does a gret job with my headphones, also I have one portable dac headphone amp, now just me to figure how can I push that signal into MMI
Old 12-08-2016, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bigHUN
bluetooth dongle? mind you sharing some info?
in my droid I like the poweramp does a gret job with my headphones, also I have one portable dac headphone amp, now just me to figure how can I push that signal into MMI
There are a couple of mudules that you can connect to the Mosconi Amplifier, a Bluetooth dongle is one of them:
DSP Accessories – Portfolio Categories – Mosconi America / Gladen Audio America
Old 06-25-2017, 12:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Everyone,
I bought an my A4 B9 Avant with MMI Basic and passive speakers. Would like to update it with a subwoofer in the trunk. Where do I get the high level input from? Where is the MMI/Radio box located?