A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Snow tires anyone?

Old 12-13-2016, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Snow tires anyone?

Anyone getting snow tires for their A4's?
Anyone in areas that get snow not getting them and chancing it?
I'm opting for snow tires.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
I'm running all seasons in all my cars. Since I don't drive much at all, especially when it snows, I guess it's okay. My A4 hasn't even been started in the past 3 days since I don't want to dirty it. The X3 is the beater car. The A7 seems to lose grip even on low speed turns. I might have to get snow tires.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My A4 should be delivered mid January with 18" all seasons. I live in CT and I'm sure I'll be putting snow tires on it very quickly, but haven't picked anything yet. The decision I need to make and probably need help on is choosing wheels for the snows - my nature is to keep things looking stock, but I probably would rather not spring for a set of expensive Audi wheels. Previously I had the tires swapped on the existing wheels, but thought that the new car is a good time to buy a second set and not do the tire remount. If anyone has suggestions for rims which look close to the Audi stock 18" wheels I'd love to hear it.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I was wondering. Why don't people just put snow tires on the stock rim? Is it because they don't want to take chances damage the rim with the removal and refitting of tires or for some other reason?
Old 12-13-2016, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually on a brand new car the stock rubber is maybe good enough for first winter here in Toronto/Canada but that is it how far I can trust.
Summer performance (hankook, sumitomo and nitto) and winter performance (nokian hakka's and gislaved nordfrost) on my two cars and SUV
Old 12-13-2016, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to run the all seasons this winter. I've got snow tires on my Acura MDX and that's the car we'll take into and over the mountains. Next fall I'll spring for new rims and snow tires for the A4.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This year, I procrastinated putting the snow tires on my old 2013 allroad because my 2017 A4 allroad (factory order) is due in any day now.

And I can sure tell the difference-- with lots of skidding around snow covered roundabouts here in Oregon. It reminds me why I always go with the siped snow tires over the all season radials; particularly when driving up the mountain to snowboard twice a week.

I'm looking forward to immediately putting snow tires on my 2017 A4 when it arrives (any day now).
Old 12-13-2016, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Denver here, we get snow and ice but nothing like what the east coast gets. For me I got all season tires and have been using all season tires for the past 13 years on my other cars and had no issues. I'm not running up into the mountains or I probably would. I'm not really a two types of tire kind of guy but seeing how my car came with summer tires I suppose I'm not going to let those summer tires go to waste. I'll use them during the spring and summer and switch to my all season for fall and winter until the summers are worn out and stick with all season the rest of the way.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Not in the area, but it really depends on how much snow you usually get, how likely you are to go out in snow, what you're on now (sport vs all season), and how quickly roads get cleared up. I opted for snows in Toronto cause I drive daily plus I want to be able to make it up north even through snow to get some boarding afternoons in + 3 road trips during the winter planned.

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
I was wondering. Why don't people just put snow tires on the stock rim? Is it because they don't want to take chances damage the rim with the removal and refitting of tires or for some other reason?
A lot of ppl will have sport wheels on with 19 inch rims. They are too wide for snow tires, and too big. You'll end up damaging the rim and not have any benefits of the snow tires cause they're too wide to actually crack through the snow. I'm partially regretting not getting 17s for my snow tires cause we had a big storm in Toronto and compared to my mom's 17's, the 18's weren't as gripy. That said, Toronto's snow removal fleet is next level so I'm happy I can have sexy sporty rims for half the year
the 401 getting cleaned:
Old 12-13-2016, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by munsabin
A lot of ppl will have sport wheels on with 19 inch rims. They are too wide for snow tires, and too big. You'll end up damaging the rim and not have any benefits of the snow tires cause they're too wide to actually crack through the snow. I'm partially regretting not getting 17s for my snow tires cause we had a big storm in Toronto and compared to my mom's 17's, the 18's weren't as gripy. That said, Toronto's snow removal fleet is next level so I'm happy I can have sexy sporty rims for half the year
Thank you for explaining. I had no idea. So I guess I should look for 17"s instead of 18"s.
And that is some clearing they do. Damn.

Search this Thread