A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

New 2017 A4 with Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2017 A4 with Manual Transmission

Does anyone here have the manual transmission yet? I am considering ordering a car but am up in the air about ordering the auto or manual. I just sold my B5 S4 so am now searching for something new. The new S4 will most likely be too expensive, the S3 just isn't as nice as the new S4 on the interior so I am contemplating the A4 with manual but don't know much about it. Has anyone read about it or able to provide any insight. Not sure if the car would take longer to get because of the manual over the auto either. Another consideration will be the aftermarket value of the car down the road. My B5 S4 was a tiptronic so I didn't get as near the amount that I could have had it been a manual. Thoughts?
Old 01-03-2017, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a diesel loaner here in the UK whilst my is in for its gearbox issues, stronic, I'm not liking the manual box, it is very notchy and sometime difficult to get into gear. The stick itself vibrates as well as moving when you accelerate or deaccelerate..
Old 01-03-2017, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm guessing a diesel will be notch compared to a petrol. I've driven my share of diesel and petrol manuals (same models, different engines) and always found petrols to be more refined in the transmission department. I have a Vento TDI (VW Polo Sedan) in India which has a 5 spd manual and when it was brand new, it was slightly notchy. But as I put on miles in it, the shift quality improved and when I last drove it when I went to India, it was very smooth. No notchiness at all.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a manual A4 on order, it was build complete on 12/22 and is heading for the port in Germany now. I believe it will be one of the first off the assembly line and hope to get it late January, but there is currently a sales hold on the order so I don't know if that will add more delay.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same - ordered Premium Plus with Sport Plus on 10/26. Wondering if anybody in the U.S. has a manual A4 yet??
Old 01-03-2017, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm holding off on ordering the B9 A4 until I can test drive the manual transmission version. I sure hope they get into the dealers beyond direct orders! Also, there's word that they may not be available for '18 models. I wonder what kind of window that gives us if that's really the case?
Old 01-03-2017, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buyers should be aware that the MT version of the A4 is a FWD car due to CAFE standards. this makes no sense from an enthusiast perspective and is vexing as to why audi is only offering the MT in this configuration.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:30 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by srolle
buyers should be aware that the MT version of the A4 is a FWD car due to CAFE standards. this makes no sense from an enthusiast perspective and is vexing as to why audi is only offering the MT in this configuration.
huh? the US web site will happily let you build a manual quattro...
Old 01-03-2017, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Nicely written, but simply untrue. The MT in the USA can be equipped with Quattro Ultra, their new (controversial) Quattro tech platform.

Originally Posted by srolle
Old 01-03-2017, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VM
huh? the US web site will happily let you build a manual quattro...
and they are misleading people by doing so, because the "ultra" system drives the front axle while engaging the rear axle as needed based on computing decisions.

buyers will not get the rear-biased center diff found in the DSG and S4 versions.

Quick Reply: New 2017 A4 with Manual Transmission