Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Stage II AND resonator delete too loud! Selling resonator delete.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stage II AND resonator delete too loud! Selling resonator delete.

So I installed a resonator delete about 2 months ago. Loved the sound!!! Very easy install. Definitely throatier note to the car. This was on my S3 with APR Stage I ECU and TCU tune accomplished. Last week had an APR downpipe installed and ECU flashed for Stage II. OMG did this thing get loud. Sounded like I should be on the starting grid for a GT3 race. It quieted a bit after a minutes warm-up but still way too loud overall. Did some research and I was not alone. But seems lot of guys cured some of the problem by sound proofing their truck! Yup, apparently it eliminated much of the additional sound from entering the cockpit. Well, it's still loud on the outside. LOL. Today, removed my resonator delete and installed the resonator. Worlds different. Went out for a drive on a freakishly warm January Ohio day and can report all the umph of Stage II is there without the GT3 sound. Resonator delete is not required for Stage II by the way. Downpipe is however. Downpipe alone makes things louder but comfortably so. Downpipe and res delete = too loud. Trying to stay somewhat under the radar. Am selling the resonator delete at this time. No clamps however as they are required to hold my resonator in place. $100 plus the cost of shipping. Will post in the for sale section. PM me if interested. Truly a great sound with just the resonator delete.

Last edited by Fixeroh; 01-22-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This resonator delete is less than half of the price of a new delete. It's not a mechanical part and therefore not worn out in any way. Really makes a nice sound difference to a non modded or Stage I modded S3. As it is Audi certified, it will not void any warranties for those who are concerned.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the information. I have the resonator delete option on my 2016 S3 and was thinking of going with a Stage 1 tune. Curious, did you notice any change in performance when you reinstalled the resonator? I am not sure how or if the resonator impacts exhaust flow.

Also, does Audi pipe engine/exhaust sound into the cockpit through the speakers like some manufacturers do?
Old 01-27-2017, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

wtmeyer: I've noticed no performance change after reinstalling the resonator delete. The resonator is not restrictive apparently and is so far back in the exhaust line that it may as well be part of the muffler assembly. After my Stage I tune, the car sounded perfect with the resonator delete. I was quite happy. But for Stage II, a larger diameter downpipe is required and totally changed things. Was seriously loud then. Not crazy loud like many Mustangs running around but too loud for a sophisticated Audi to sound! LOL. Reinstalling the resonator fixed all that. I get a bit more sound from the new downpipe of course.

There is a soundaktor on the car which is located on the passenger side near the firewall under the hood. It generates additional sound when the engine/transmission mode is set to S or dynamic. It creates a bit of artificial sound when in sport mode. I don't know all the details of its workings but I know it's there.

Otherwise most of your exhaust sound comes up through the truck space. I did some research on knocking down the sound level before reinstalling the resonator and it seems soundproofing the trunk helps quite a bit. Makes sense actually. Muffler is directly below the trunk and the truck is a hollow cavity which can resonate.

If you get Stage I done on your car, the sound will literally not change what so ever. You'll get an extra push into your seat when you hit the throttle however!!!
Old 01-27-2017, 04:57 PM
JDM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wtmeyer
Thanks for the information. I have the resonator delete option on my 2016 S3 and was thinking of going with a Stage 1 tune. Curious, did you notice any change in performance when you reinstalled the resonator? I am not sure how or if the resonator impacts exhaust flow.

Also, does Audi pipe engine/exhaust sound into the cockpit through the speakers like some manufacturers do?
I just unplugged my soundaktor today and I like the natural sound of the engine so much better.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the information. I may disconnect my soundaktor as well to see the effect.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:00 PM
JDM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wtmeyer
Thanks for the information. I may disconnect my soundaktor as well to see the effect.
I wish I would have done it sooner. I can't believe this is even a feature of this car.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the real data Fix, I was heading in this direction but love subtle exhaust note... saved me some time.

(Although I have an S4 on order - I do not expect to like it as much my S3 - we'll see.)
Old 01-31-2017, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Always happy to provide useful information. Oddly, my wife thinks I'm full of useless info. LOL. Forums are a great source of data of course. Again, prior to the downpipe install, the resonator delete only sound was truly nice.

S4 on order? Wow. Congrats! Trading/selling the S3? I have way too much extra money invested in my S3 to even think about replacing it. The car is working super well and I love it. Predict a solid 8 to 10 years worth of driving with this car.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
S4 on order? Wow. Congrats! Trading/selling the S3? I have way too much extra money invested in my S3 to even think about replacing it. The car is working super well and I love it. Predict a solid 8 to 10 years worth of driving with this car.
Well the S4 is going to have to be really good if I'm gonna ditch the S3. I hope 10 years is possible on a Turbo 4 - if I don't like the S4, I'm surfing over to APR for the S3.

Quick Reply: Stage II AND resonator delete too loud! Selling resonator delete.