A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Daytime running Lights issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 05:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytime running Lights issue

Brand new to the forum. Brand new to Audi. I have been following this for a few months and I've received help in regards to many issues such as installing valve cover gaskets and exactly how to install a back up camera. Thanks for that.

I have a 2008 Audi A6 Sline.
I was about to drive here in NYC and it's about 3:00pm. I turn the car on and a warning pops up about the left daytime running light bulb isn't working.
I turned the car off, waiting 5 minutes and turned it on, and the same error came up.
I was on my way to the mechanic anyway so I drove and the light was on with no issues.
i got to the mechanic, he checked it out and he said there were no issues.

Since that day, I haven't seen the warning since. Let me know if I should just get the bulb changed or what? Could it be a sensor going bad?

In life when it comes to anything I'm always a bit concerned and I know a bulb isn't as critical as a blown tranny but big or small I want to treat the car with care.

any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks for reading.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by PoorNYC
Brand new to the forum. Brand new to Audi. I have been following this for a few months and I've received help in regards to many issues such as installing valve cover gaskets and exactly how to install a back up camera. Thanks for that.

I have a 2008 Audi A6 Sline.
I was about to drive here in NYC and it's about 3:00pm. I turn the car on and a warning pops up about the left daytime running light bulb isn't working.
I turned the car off, waiting 5 minutes and turned it on, and the same error came up.
I was on my way to the mechanic anyway so I drove and the light was on with no issues.
i got to the mechanic, he checked it out and he said there were no issues.

Since that day, I haven't seen the warning since. Let me know if I should just get the bulb changed or what? Could it be a sensor going bad?

In life when it comes to anything I'm always a bit concerned and I know a bulb isn't as critical as a blown tranny but big or small I want to treat the car with care.

any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks for reading.
That's the tell tale sign that the DRL bulb is going out and that you should look at changing it. I bet it's the original OEM bulb in the so it's about time for a change.

Same thing happened with me with the early warning, until one day it failed completely.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
That's the tell tale sign that the DRL bulb is going out and that you should look at changing it. I bet it's the original OEM bulb in the so it's about time for a change.

Same thing happened with me with the early warning, until one day it failed completely.
Any website you can suggest where you purchased an OEM bulb to put into your car?
Would I have to go to the dealership to get it put in? Or would any mechanic I trust do?
Should I just go ahead and change both at the same time?

Thank you for the reply.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by PoorNYC
Any website you can suggest where you purchased an OEM bulb to put into your car?
Would I have to go to the dealership to get it put in? Or would any mechanic I trust do?
Should I just go ahead and change both at the same time?

Thank you for the reply.
There are plenty of sites which sell genuine Audi DRLs, but then again you can just get the OSRAMs and should be good, go to our sponsors and you'll see the following:
http://genuineaudiparts.com
Discount Audi Parts at Wholesale Prices
Audi Parts | Audi Parts | audionlinepart.com
All carry the DRLs - Bulb type P21W, heck Amazon carries them: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U1OIXT0/

Any decent mech should be able to put them in, it's a bit of a struggle if you don't know what you're doing. Take a look at the DIY and there's a great write-up...there's a LOT of threads on this very subject, start familiarizing yourself with the SEARCH function and you'll be well-served:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...-help-2795488/
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...ement-2868422/

You should definitely change both at the same time, since the other is likely to suffer a similar failure in a few months times.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the help here - pardon me, but could someone identify the "right side bulb / daytime running light" for me? The reason I ask is that I get this error message intermittently, but have never found a lamp out anywhere.
I have a 2010 A6 Allroad, UK spec. (No LED DRLs)
Thanks.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GeoffreyS
Thanks for the help here - pardon me, but could someone identify the "right side bulb / daytime running light" for me? The reason I ask is that I get this error message intermittently, but have never found a lamp out anywhere.
I have a 2010 A6 Allroad, UK spec. (No LED DRLs)
Thanks.
There is a very tiny 194 type bulb in the larger reflector bowl, not not the projector. Look there and you will see the bulb to replace
Old 05-26-2017, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by twopedalwarrior
There is a very tiny 194 type bulb in the larger reflector bowl, not not the projector. Look there and you will see the bulb to replace
Nope.. Atleast in EU.. The drl is a P21w bulb.. The 194 is parking light
​​​​​​=)
Did the original poster read the thread?..
Cheers /H
Old 05-26-2017, 05:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I believe you are looking for the side light. it is difficult to see it during the day time but those amber lights are considered the side light/daytime running lights. those bulbs are a bit smaller though.

i did it myself I just popped them out with a hook, changed them myself.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for those posts (of which Forum only just sent notification)- I admit it's a case of RTFM and for this UK spec Allroad, at any rate, the side light and the parking light are the same (194). Isn't the P2W1 bulb behind amber lens simply the turn signal?
Old 05-30-2017, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 327 Likes on 276 Posts

The picture below shows the DRL bulb.

It looks like this:

I found it here:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...each/n0177328/

I think there is a hard filament inside that can break but can still work, as long as the filament broken ends touch each other. I've seen this happen with license plate bulbs. Tapping the housing would make the bulb filament ends wiggle and connect. Another hard enough shock could make them disconnect again.

You should change the bulb. I recommend you change it on both sides.