Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi Pure Protection EXTENDED WARRANTY is a RIP OFF

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Audi Pure Protection EXTENDED WARRANTY is a RIP OFF

NEVER EVER BUY an Audi Pure Protection Plan EXTENDED WARRANTY - The dealer is lying and ripping you off if he says it's a good idea. Learn from me.

I just go off the phone with Marlenni (A supervisor) from Audi Pure Protection (800) 822-2834. They are actually sold and managed through Fidelity Warranty Services, so she works for Fidelity.

You are ONLY entitled to a 100% refund within 60 days of warranty purchase. After that it is a pro-rated amount from the purchase date (likely when new). So this warranty runs concurrently with your bumper-to-bumper warranty (which is ridiculous because you wouldn't have to use it until factory warranty expires).

I paid $3,375 for the Platinum Warranty with $100 deductible for 7 years/100,000 miles.
Currently my A6 is 5,000 miles past the factory warranty and 5 years old (I had a 5 year 62,000 mile warranty, extended due to dealer issue during recall repair).
Currently, I am entitled to a 26% refund which is $877.
Never used the warranty. Isn't that ridiculous.

When on phone with her she referenced different pages of the contract. I have the screen shots from the contract. The pages are 2-sided with bold black font on the front and light grey (watermarked) font on the back with all the important details. This shows how shady they are.

https://goo.gl/photos/vdb6hfxFhSdZymft8

https://goo.gl/photos/DejiPNoHkqjZ2C4Q9

Also check out the additional fine print exclusions in addition to the stuff they already exclude in the sales brochure. "Any alteration of the vehicle"

LONG STORY SHORT - LEARN FROM ME - DON'T BUY AUDI EXTENDED WARRANTIES.
The following users liked this post:
markremi (01-09-2021)
Old 01-30-2017, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The brochure for the Audi Pure Protection Plan does clearly state that it is managed by Fidelity.

The extended warranty runs concurrent with the normal warranty. That's how it works with any warranty offered by the car manufacturers through their dealers. If they say 7 year extended warranty, it really means you're just getting 3 years more over the standard 4-year warranty. I made sure I asked about this when I was inquiring about extended warranties.

And, when covered by the factory warranty and their extended warranty offerings, they won't warrant any repair or replacement work on a part that has failed due to alteration work done on the vehicle. This is standard and it does not surprise me. If I were the insurance company, I won't allow it either.

I think this is just a case of lack of research on your part before signing on the dotted line and handing them over your hard-warned money. I understand your frustration and the need to vent. I hope you'll be able to accept responsibility, move on from here, and have some peace of mind.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you Plat for your pro Audi Extended Warranty views. You bring up important and valid points.
You and I can agree I should have read the entire 10 page contract including the light gray backside print. So don't worry, I accept responsibility for my mistake.
I AM SIMPLY ADDING THIS POST TO HELP OTHERS NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID BY PURCHASING AN AUDI EXTENDED WARRANTY under false pretenses.

It's similar to the "truth-in-lending act" where credit card companies are now required to put the important and key information up front-and-center for the consumer, instead of buried in the fine print. And you know how those Finance office people at the dealership tell you anything to get you to sign and move on.

As for Alterations, the fine print says "any alteration to the vehicle or the part.....or alteration to the vehicle not authorized by its manufacturer." So this opens the door to an APR engine tune voiding a stereo claim <--- unrelated parts.

So again please LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE - DON'T BUY AUDI EXTENDED WARRANTIES without fully understanding the little value it provides for the $3,000+.
The following users liked this post:
ddeckerdds (01-16-2024)
Old 02-06-2017, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My finance guy was very clear that I could cancel and receive a prorated amount back on the insurance.

I got it for piece of mind, and knowing that I couldn't be disciplined enough to save each month for repairs/maintenance.

I think that maybe the full story of your warranty experience should be told when your extended warranty expires. I have the same warranty, and it has covered well over the price I paid for mine, about $1k less than you. I would say so far I've had about $7-$8K in repairs through the dealer post with the extended warranty, and like you, have a bit more time (almost 1 1/2 years). I'm guessing that there's more chance of something going wrong and a more expensive repair in this time period.

I think the alterations portion depends on what the dealership communicates to the warranty company for authorization. To be safe, I'm waiting for my APR mod until June 2018
Old 02-06-2017, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st Time Audi
My finance guy was very clear that I could cancel and receive a prorated amount back on the insurance.

I got it for piece of mind, and knowing that I couldn't be disciplined enough to save each month for repairs/maintenance.

I think that maybe the full story of your warranty experience should be told when your extended warranty expires. I have the same warranty, and it has covered well over the price I paid for mine, about $1k less than you. I would say so far I've had about $7-$8K in repairs through the dealer post with the extended warranty, and like you, have a bit more time (almost 1 1/2 years). I'm guessing that there's more chance of something going wrong and a more expensive repair in this time period.

I think the alterations portion depends on what the dealership communicates to the warranty company for authorization. To be safe, I'm waiting for my APR mod until June 2018
I took the maintenance contract but not the extended warranty. I only average about 5-6k per year. I don't really beat up the car so I don't expect it to break down for a while. Own this 2016 A6 3.0. Purchased new in Aug 2016.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by huntergts
,,,I accept responsibility for my mistake.
I AM SIMPLY ADDING THIS POST TO HELP OTHERS NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID BY PURCHASING AN AUDI EXTENDED WARRANTY under false pretenses.,,,

,,,So again please LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE - DON'T BUY AUDI EXTENDED WARRANTIES without fully understanding the little value it provides for the $3,000+.
Perhaps your thread title might have been phrased differently. Instead of it's a "RIP OFF", you might have written "...carefully read the details before purchasing".
Old 02-07-2017, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by huntergts
NEVER EVER BUY an Audi Pure Protection Plan EXTENDED WARRANTY - The dealer is lying and ripping you off if he says it's a good idea. Learn from me.

I just go off the phone with Marlenni (A supervisor) from Audi Pure Protection (800) 822-2834. They are actually sold and managed through Fidelity Warranty Services, so she works for Fidelity.

You are ONLY entitled to a 100% refund within 60 days of warranty purchase. After that it is a pro-rated amount from the purchase date (likely when new). So this warranty runs concurrently with your bumper-to-bumper warranty (which is ridiculous because you wouldn't have to use it until factory warranty expires).

I paid $3,375 for the Platinum Warranty with $100 deductible for 7 years/100,000 miles.
Currently my A6 is 5,000 miles past the factory warranty and 5 years old (I had a 5 year 62,000 mile warranty, extended due to dealer issue during recall repair).
Currently, I am entitled to a 26% refund which is $877.
Never used the warranty. Isn't that ridiculous.

When on phone with her she referenced different pages of the contract. I have the screen shots from the contract. The pages are 2-sided with bold black font on the front and light grey (watermarked) font on the back with all the important details. This shows how shady they are.

https://goo.gl/photos/vdb6hfxFhSdZymft8

https://goo.gl/photos/DejiPNoHkqjZ2C4Q9

Also check out the additional fine print exclusions in addition to the stuff they already exclude in the sales brochure. "Any alteration of the vehicle"

LONG STORY SHORT - LEARN FROM ME - DON'T BUY AUDI EXTENDED WARRANTIES.

Thanks for the heads up as I plan to purchase a used car in the next few months from an Audi dealership.

Are there any good and reliable companies out there that offer good warranty packages or is it really just not worth it?

Please let me know.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Today I have my car at the dealer to determine why my Tire Pressure Monitoring is not working and attempting to use my Extended Warranty. Here is what they said.

We have to charge you a $149 per hour Diagnostic fee to determine what is wrong with your car then contact the warranty company to determine if it is covered. If covered, I have to pay my $100 deductible, if not, it's on me.

They called at lunch time and said they still have no idea what is causing it, and wanted to know if I want them to keep digging.

How is my extended warranty helping me now?
Old 04-27-2017, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Why don't you call the warranty company yourself and ask if it's covered?
Old 04-27-2017, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Why don't you call the warranty company yourself and ask if it's covered?
Fidelity said it is covered as long as they don't find any physical damage, but they will only covered a set amount of diagnostic time. I still have to pay the diagnostic time until they find what the issue is and determine it is not caused by physical damage.

Quick Reply: Audi Pure Protection EXTENDED WARRANTY is a RIP OFF