A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

To XPEL or not?

Old 02-05-2017, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default To XPEL or not?

To those who have wrapped their cars in Xpel (or similar) protectant, any regrets - cost vs protection? Would you do it again or would you save the money and if slightly chipped by debris from trucks for example, be ahead of the game by just using a Dent Dr or something like that?

Last edited by bob m; 02-06-2017 at 09:12 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-05-2017, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't done it before but knowing what he front of my Q5 looks like as well as previous experience living in the NY/NJ area I would say it would be worth it. I plan on doing full PPF coverage when my Q7 is delivered in 3 weeks.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the front end and the mirrors wrapped in XPEL immediately (I bought my A4 in early December).

My reason for having the wrap done was the paint chip damage that had occurred to the pointy end of my dark-colored Golf in the year and a half it was my daily driver -- and extrapolating that to the damage my Brilliant Black A4 would sustain in the same duties.

I have no regrets at the moment. $800 well spent so far.

Looking forward to warmer weather to see how the self-healing properties of XPEL act, to polishing the car up, and putting a ceramic paint coating on the entire car.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did front bumper, front fenders, full hood, A pillars and front 6" of roof... $1850. I didn't get the car in until I had it for three weeks. Detailer found 3 chips in the front already. Arg.

When it warms up a bit, I'm taking it back to the a couple edges put back down, and getting a Nanolex SI3D HD coating done.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by fnarq
I did front bumper, front fenders, full hood, A pillars and front 6" of roof... $1850. I didn't get the car in until I had it for three weeks. Detailer found 3 chips in the front already. Arg.

When it warms up a bit, I'm taking it back to the a couple edges put back down, and getting a Nanolex SI3D HD coating done.
What makes you prefer Nanolex to other coatings?
Old 02-05-2017, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I am pleased my Expel and feel that it was money well spent !

Seeing all the chips in the paint every time I washed prior cars really bothered me so I had various parts wrapped immediately after taking delivery. If chips in your new car won't bother you, then spend the money on something else that will make you happy.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for inputs here, guys. I have decided to get my Allroad's front (hood, bumper, fenders, mirrors, headlights) done with Xpel followed with a coating. Actually will be bringing my car in this morning and should be ready in a couple of days. I am not getting the whole car done as I think that's not necessarily passing the cost-benefit thing, though I may be regretting that if/when scratches/pings start appearing elsewhere. But taking into consideration where I'm living/driving and my intention on keeping this Allroad for quite some time, it's money pretty well spent as much, if not more, for peace of mind rather than any depreciation.
Regarding the coating - Nanolex in this case, I have decided to get a PRO level coating for its longer lasting durability (and maybe deeper shine) over a self applied coating. However, I have used good self applied coatings (Cquartz and Wolfgang's) with excellent results on my prior cars - though I only had my Q5 long enough - 1.5 years -2 years, to assess durability and all my cars have been kept in garages at night. For all those inclined to detail their own cars and up to the task, I would suggest a coating over a sealant or wax for a way more increase in protection and ultimately, over time, much less time spent washing the car. But self detailing is a whole nother world unto itself.

Besides the obvious protection, I'm a little curious as to how that Gotland green will look when properly prepped and coated. I'll ask my detailer to take some before and after pics and post them here and in the B9 Allroad area.

Last edited by bob m; 02-06-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

You guys treat your cars so well and like real baby. I wish I am your car. People don't treat a person this well now a days. 😀
Old 02-06-2017, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by minmet
You guys treat your cars so well and like real baby. I wish I am your car. People don't treat a person this well now a days. 😀
Partially agree, but many people just prefer driving/owning a car that is clean and well protected. And if you are one of those who do like that and want to save yourself a lot of extra time - DOWN THE ROAD, you will apply a good sealant or coating - and have your car way easier to maintain. And living and driving in certain areas especially, you can and will end up with chips. No problem with me for those who think differently. It's for sure to each his own.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did a full front wrap in Expel and I don't regret it one bit. I would regret it more if I got damage and than decided to put the clear bra on. Scratches easily show on the color I chose so it's nice to know the front is protected.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To XPEL or not?