Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Squealing breaks in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 09:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealing breaks in reverse

anyone else for squeing breaks in reverse only? Every day,no matter the weather/temp brakes squeal very loudly until really pressed hard a few times as I reverse out of my garage? Don't make any noise going forward only in reverse. Dealer says they are fine, but I always ask how this can be OK on a luxury car. It's loud enough that all my neighbors know when we leave for work.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

The brakes are just removing the thin layer of oxidation that builds up since the last time the car was driven. If your garage is wet or you live in a humid area there will be a bigger build up of rust. Normal.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Normal!!!

I have owned nearly every other luxury brand and never have I had to accept as "normal" breaks that squeal loud enough to wake my neighbors every single day. Of course this is not normal!!! And why if it is "normal" do they only do it when I have to reverse out my garage and never happens if I park the opposite way so I can pull forward? Same car, same garage, same weather same humidity?
Old 02-12-2017, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by scottishsteve
anyone else for squeing breaks in reverse only? Every day,no matter the weather/temp brakes squeal very loudly until really pressed hard a few times as I reverse out of my garage? Don't make any noise going forward only in reverse. Dealer says they are fine, but I always ask how this can be OK on a luxury car. It's loud enough that all my neighbors know when we leave for work.
Mine started doing it when the temperatures dropped at the start of winter. I was going to take it to the dealer but then I saw another thread that someone else was experiencing the same thing. The consensus there was that it was normal.
It hasn't been doing it as much lately.
The one thing I noticed since I got the thing is that, compared to my 2013 Q7, the brakes on this one seem much more "grabby". I know the pads on these are entirely different from the '13 so maybe that's just the way they are .
Old 02-12-2017, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cadx6
Mine started doing it when the temperatures dropped at the start of winter. I was going to take it to the dealer but then I saw another thread that someone else was experiencing the same thing. The consensus there was that it was normal.
It hasn't been doing it as much lately.
The one thing I noticed since I got the thing is that, compared to my 2013 Q7, the brakes on this one seem much more "grabby". I know the pads on these are entirely different from the '13 so maybe that's just the way they are .

Thanks for the reply. I find it preposterous that Audi owners tell themselves that squealing brakes every day are normal. I have never owned a car, luxury or otherwise that had brakes that squealed every day and I've been driving for decades. I'm not talking about occasionally, some seasons, when it rains etc. I'm talking about accepting "normal" everyday. Just stand outside your door for an hour at rush hour in the morning and listen to all your neighbors in BMWs or Mercedes or Fords or Hondas leaving for work, their cars don't squeak do they? I'm not a technical car guy but I have certainly owned my fair share of cars. My best guess is that this is the brake pad and if there is an alternative manufacturer to the ones Audi installs as standard then I will give them a try to see if that helps but I don't know if there is a substitute yet but my neighbors will sure be happy if there are. Cheers
Old 02-12-2017, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I live in Montreal area, and i have rhe same problem every morning. I discuss that with the dealer and he told me the same thing "It's normal" sorry guys it is not normal for a car like that. I receive my car in september 2016, and the problem appears in december. My previous car was a BMW 528 (2011) and i never had thiat kind of problem before
Old 02-12-2017, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the other thread talks about the same, https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...ormal-2912951/

As that thread concludes, its the carbon metallic pads Audi uses causes the noise.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lapi
This is the other thread talks about the same, https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...ormal-2912951/

As that thread concludes, its the carbon metallic pads Audi uses causes the noise.

thanks for for the info. As I suspected. Anyone know of replacement pad from a different manufacturer? Worth a try I think.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is not normal and there is a TSB on this. I brought my car in recently for this. They did some checks and reset the ABS something or other and it ws fine for a few days but the noise is back now. It only happens when the brakes and rotors are cold when you go in reverse. The noise is VERY loud. Not just minor squeaking. After the pad and/or rotor is warmed up the noise does not happen.

Please report this to your service advisor. When I had mine in another owner had called and reported the same thing. This will become a more widespread problem. I have 9k miles on my Q7.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mwoc
This is not normal and there is a TSB on this. I brought my car in recently for this. They did some checks and reset the ABS something or other and it ws fine for a few days but the noise is back now. It only happens when the brakes and rotors are cold when you go in reverse. The noise is VERY loud. Not just minor squeaking. After the pad and/or rotor is warmed up the noise does not happen.

Please report this to your service advisor. When I had mine in another owner had called and reported the same thing. This will become a more widespread problem. I have 9k miles on my Q7.
What does the TSB says?

Quick Reply: Squealing breaks in reverse