Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

B&O vs Stock system, 2017 S3

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&O vs Stock system, 2017 S3

Hey all - found a 2017 S3 I like but it doesn't have the B&O system (tech, black optics, and sport seats included). One salesman told me the stock and B&O system are pretty close, another told me it's night and day.

Anyone have experience to help sway them one way or another? I'm no audiophile, but I do appreciate music quite a bit. I'm playing music from my phone 95% of the time I'm in my vehicle.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2017, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would personally get an S3 with the B&O System simply because it is much better than the Audi sound system. I am more discriminating when it comes to sound quality and I assess video and sound systems for a living. Since sound is quite subjective, it would be best if you assess both systems yourself and figure out whether it is worth it to you or not. You do not need to be an audiophile to appreciate the better sound quality of the B&O. However, some people do not care about it, some do. Some prefer the sound quality of Bose vs. B&O and vice versa. To each his own. In any case, do not believe sales people when they say that the Audi Sound system is pretty close to the quality of the B&O System. This is simply not true.

The A3 Prestige Trim comes standard with the B&O System. Ask you dealer if he has one so equipped in his lot. If not, search around nearby Audi dealers in your area. When you find one, hop in with your phone and give it a listen. Then, hop into an A3 with the Audi sound system and try it out.

Last edited by plat27265; 03-09-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the suggestion. I think the B&O on my current 2014 Audi S4 is awesome. I didn't think to listen to A4s and compare, that's a great idea!
Old 03-09-2017, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by willardcw4
Thanks for the suggestion. I think the B&O on my current 2014 Audi S4 is awesome. I didn't think to listen to A4s and compare, that's a great idea!
If you appreciate the B&O System in your current S4, you will not be happy with the quality of the Audi Sound system in the new S3 you are eyeing. I guarantee it. Yeah, go jump into an A3 or A4 with the Audi Sound System and see how it measures up with the B&O System in your current S4.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i wanted the B&O in my S3 no matter what, bc i was so impressed with the sound in my old SQ5. however, i did a side by side of an S3 with and without B&O before i bought my S3. IMO, sound imaging and clarity in the B&O is night and day different and worth every penny.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by -hef-
i wanted the B&O in my S3 no matter what, bc i was so impressed with the sound in my old SQ5. however, i did a side by side of an S3 with and without B&O before i bought my S3. IMO, sound imaging and clarity in the B&O is night and day different and worth every penny.
Valuable feedback. Thank you both. It would be nice if I could have a dealer install the system locally... not planning to get anything custom put in since it's a lease. Looks like I'll have to find another vehicle in a different state!

Completely unrelated sidenote: the carbon fiber package looks pretty damn amazing on the S3. Thinking of getting just the spoiler from TAG for $950 and getting it put on. Super sharp!
Old 03-10-2017, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Coming from the mk6 golf r with base, which was a track/secondary car for me at the time.
The system was horrible. I am into "good audio".
My DD at the time was a 335 with their harmon kardon system, which was excellent. So I could really hear the difference almost daily
After 6 months, I had to replace the front speakers in the R, which helped a lot (woofers and tweeters). I went with a system that was designed for my car specifically (golf platform helps there).

Fast forward to Audi S3, pre- face lift, I obviously knew to get the "upgraded sound".
It is very good.

One thing I'll add....
If you are even asking this question, get the upgraded sound or you'll regret it.
Having a good sound system and other "good" options will keep you in the car longer, which in the long run will save you money.

Buy the right car, well packaged, and you keep it longer.
If you're like me, you would love to have a new car every 3.5-4 years.
If you get the ****ty sound system, let's say you'll be tired of the car in 2.5 years.

20 years
3.5 year ownership is 5.7 cars
2.5 year ownership is 8 cars

depreciation, markup, tinting the windows, paint protection, clear bra, etc.

Cheers

Last edited by RyanS3; 03-10-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im a huge audiophile (with home audio mostly), I have custom amps, speakers, etc.

The stock system is not too hard to compensate for with low compression codecs (FLAC, AIFF or Apple Lossless) and a good app that has equalization controls. I love the stock, even though the B&O is better and a good value in the S3, but I believe I've compensated for 90% of the stock systems' weaknesses over the B&O.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

arU4ic,
Interesting insights.
Thanks!
Old 03-16-2017, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Idk how the systems in the S3 differ but in the new B9 A4, there is a night and day difference. The B&O is amazing compared to the stock system. The B&O is so good it blows the Bose in my A7 out of the water.

Quick Reply: B&O vs Stock system, 2017 S3