Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Q5 First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts
Default 2018 Q5 First Impressions

I'm going to keep this real short so everyone can form their own opinions, but don't have the expectation of it being just a smaller Q7. I know that's kind of leaving everyone hanging, but that's where I'm going to leave it for now. The best thing to do is go and see one in person and see what you think.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, did you test drive it? If so what's your impression?
Old 04-03-2017, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Blitz118
So, did you test drive it? If so what's your impression?
Yes. The suspension is much smoother than the outgoing Q5 and it is quicker than the 2.0t, but as a 3.0t owner, I wouldn't be happy switching. The 2.0t has more lag, is louder, and isn't as smooth. And even in dynamic, I think this has the numbest steering of any Audi.

Maybe my expectations were just too high, but like I said, don't expect this to be a baby Q7 in terms of driving or material quality.

Personally, I think I would get a Premium Plus 2.0t Q7 with Bose for about $57k rather than $53k for a Premium Plus Q5 with nav and B&O.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Interesting feedback, I drove it as well before ordering mine (drove the q5 but ordered the sq5). I didn't drive the new Q7 but I owned the previous model as well as the first generation Q5. I can say that the steering while not super tight is better than on my current 2013 A6. Lvl of finish and quality was pretty high but again I can't compare to latest A4 or Q7. The Q7 must be quite something in terms of driving if you'd prefer it to a smaller car which I would assume handles better. Q7 is too big for me now anyway so I don't have regrets. I am curious now to read other people's opinion after test driving it
Old 04-04-2017, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've got a current Q5 2.0, have driven the new 2.0, and ordered an SQ5. I don't feel like the new 2.0 is significantly laggier than my current one, nor the steering significantly more numb. That said, I consider my Q5 to be a good long distance cruiser. I do a 250 mile drive every weekend to get to our weekend home, and like a smooth, easy riding car for the trip out there. I ordered an SQ5 namely for the little giggle I get when I put my foot down, and the interior options.

I agree the new Q5 is not an RS5 or R8. But I think Audi would be doing themselves a disservice to build a modern SUV with super dynamic steering or aggressive throttle. The majority of Q5 owners I've talked to want a smooth, comfortable, reliable SUV with modern technology and good fuel economy. And I think they've delivered with the new Q5. I've driven it twice now, and both times, I've teased my dealer that I can probably take the summer off as these things are going to sell themselves.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default SQ5

Originally Posted by appzman
I've got a current Q5 2.0, have driven the new 2.0, and ordered an SQ5. I don't feel like the new 2.0 is significantly laggier than my current one, nor the steering significantly more numb. That said, I consider my Q5 to be a good long distance cruiser. I do a 250 mile drive every weekend to get to our weekend home, and like a smooth, easy riding car for the trip out there. I ordered an SQ5 namely for the little giggle I get when I put my foot down, and the interior options.

I agree the new Q5 is not an RS5 or R8. But I think Audi would be doing themselves a disservice to build a modern SUV with super dynamic steering or aggressive throttle. The majority of Q5 owners I've talked to want a smooth, comfortable, reliable SUV with modern technology and good fuel economy. And I think they've delivered with the new Q5. I've driven it twice now, and both times, I've teased my dealer that I can probably take the summer off as these things are going to sell themselves.
I drove it last night too (Prem+, 20" wheels) and was impressed by the suspension and the new engine. However, we have a 3.0 Q5, and I am afraid the low end torque was no match for that. I don't really need everything that comes with an SQ5, but I may be getting one anyway since there is no 3.0 option now. I agree this is in a nice sweet spot for most of the buyers, and the car will do well. Just not enough kick for me I think. Exhaust looks like an Acura's, and silly. Navarra blue is gorgeous in person! Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Yes. The suspension is much smoother than the outgoing Q5 and it is quicker than the 2.0t, but as a 3.0t owner, I wouldn't be happy switching. The 2.0t has more lag, is louder, and isn't as smooth. And even in dynamic, I think this has the numbest steering of any Audi.

Maybe my expectations were just too high, but like I said, don't expect this to be a baby Q7 in terms of driving or material quality.

Personally, I think I would get a Premium Plus 2.0t Q7 with Bose for about $57k rather than $53k for a Premium Plus Q5 with nav and B&O.
Hmmmm, I was really impressed with the gen 3 2.0 in the Allroad. I thought it was silky smooth.

I will be test driving the Q5 this weekend...
Old 04-05-2017, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jspirate
Hmmmm, I was really impressed with the gen 3 2.0 in the Allroad. I thought it was silky smooth.

I will be test driving the Q5 this weekend...
The engine is smooth, but it works so much harder than the old 3.0; if you are comparing it to the current 2.0 you'll be pleased with the power.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
The engine is smooth, but it works so much harder than the old 3.0; if you are comparing it to the current 2.0 you'll be pleased with the power.
SYMAWD, how does it compare to your A6 with the same engine?
Old 04-05-2017, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by malutki
SYMAWD, how does it compare to your A6 with the same engine?
Here's the thing. My Q5 has the 3.0t. The 2.0t in the 18 is just not comparable no matter what it seems like on paper.

My 15 A6 was a 2.0t, so going to the new 2.0t is a nice improvement with it being quicker.

In the 18 Q5, the transmission just seems to get lost which is odd because it is such a great power train in the A4, A5, and Allroad.

Quick Reply: 2018 Q5 First Impressions