Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

RS3 and Matrix LED lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS3 and Matrix LED lights

With recently released updated info on the RS3, I take it that Audi removed the Matrix LED light option? I could have sworn that was mentioned as an option in Paris.

Is this something that was yanked last second to keep the S4/RS4? and S5/RS5? compelling?

Aren't the new A3's and S3's offered with Matrix LED lights?
Old 04-10-2017, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Matrix headlights are not DOT approved for use in the USA, so that's why you only see them on the European models. Eventually US regs will catch up, but for now... not an option for us.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thoughts on whether they might be capable of retrofitting? That is, when DOT/FDA approval is secured, would we be able to go out and get the euro-issued headlamps and just plop them in? I get the sense that all of the other infrastructure required to make it work will be in the car.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mattvandyk
Thoughts on whether they might be capable of retrofitting? That is, when DOT/FDA approval is secured, would we be able to go out and get the euro-issued headlamps and just plop them in? I get the sense that all of the other infrastructure required to make it work will be in the car.
That is what I am hoping. Purchase the matrix kit from a European specced car and drop them in to the US spec. The Matrix LED lights are just about the coolest thing I have ever seen for lighting. Sometimes, its a real bummer living in this country of restrictions and limitations. We have so much wasted resources here in the US. The slowness of the DOT and their very strict restrictions are an example of our "freedom"

I am just hoping the ECU would recognize the Matrix LEDs and be able to run them on the US specced RS3.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

On the german configuration tool for the S3 when you select the option of the Matrix LED Headlights/Taillights it forces a change to the rearview mirror as well, so I suspect there is something involved with the mirror for the lights to work properly. Price is actually lower than expected (around $1,000) but that's the upgrade price not the total replacement cost.

"This selection requires further customization of your configuration
Audi Matrix LED headlights including dynamic front and rear light + 810,00 EUR

The following adjustments are made:

Added interior mirror, automatically dimming + 130,00 EUR

Sum of adjustments: + 940,00 EUR"

https://www.audi.de/de/brand/de/neuw...r.GPXCPXC.html
Old 04-19-2017, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Zephyr007
On the german configuration tool for the S3 when you select the option of the Matrix LED Headlights/Taillights it forces a change to the rearview mirror as well, so I suspect there is something involved with the mirror for the lights to work properly. Price is actually lower than expected (around $1,000) but that's the upgrade price not the total replacement cost.

"This selection requires further customization of your configuration
Audi Matrix LED headlights including dynamic front and rear light + 810,00 EUR

The following adjustments are made:

Added interior mirror, automatically dimming + 130,00 EUR

Sum of adjustments: + 940,00 EUR"

https://www.audi.de/de/brand/de/neuw...r.GPXCPXC.html
Bah, you're probably right. The real question will be whether that same forced change holds true for an RS3 equipped with the driver assistance package, though. The RS3 order guide (in the US, anyway) says that the DAP includes "front radar with camera distance sensor" and it is not available with homelink. If a similarly equipped Danish RS3 requires a forced change like that S3, then I think we're sunk. If it doesn't then this suggests that it's equipped with at least some sort of radar/camera in the housing where the rearview mirror attaches. The question really is whether that radar/camera is works with matrix LED lights, whether the hardware/wires are run to the lights already, and whether the computer is set up to operate them if it senses they're installed.

I'm half tempted to order a set and give it a shot when my RS3 shows up.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Bah, you're probably right. The real question will be whether that same forced change holds true for an RS3 equipped with the driver assistance package, though. The RS3 order guide (in the US, anyway) says that the DAP includes "front radar with camera distance sensor" and it is not available with homelink. If a similarly equipped Danish RS3 requires a forced change like that S3, then I think we're sunk. If it doesn't then this suggests that it's equipped with at least some sort of radar/camera in the housing where the rearview mirror attaches. The question really is whether that radar/camera is works with matrix LED lights, whether the hardware/wires are run to the lights already, and whether the computer is set up to operate them if it senses they're installed.

I'm half tempted to order a set and give it a shot when my RS3 shows up.
In the end there are so many variables in this thing that it will probably be difficult of not impossible to know for sure until someone tries it.

1. What sensor/camera feeds information back to the lighting assembly? Or is the feedback sensor integrated into the housing itself?

2. What part if any does the $130 mirror upgrade play? No mention of an included camera and it seems fairly inexpensive.

3. Does the light switch on the dash also need replaced? I suspect it will since there is an additional option for the Auto matrix setting. One of the videos i watched showed a different icon/selection on the switch.

4. What settings will need changed in the ECU? There is bound to be something due to the lights interfacing with other data from the car. The "brights" turn on above a certain speed when the switch is set to auto.

5. Is the proper wiring harness is already in place at all locations, Dash headlight switch, rear view mirror, left/right headlight.

6. Is the fuse rating & wire gauge the same for both variants of headlights? The Matrix versions have a controller/processor as well as the driver for the LEDs. So they may well pull more current.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here is a image and translation form the german Audi website that looks to be the mirror requirement in question.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bah, well, that answers that.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:01 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

The mirror that zephyr posted a photo of is just the High Beam Assist rear view mirror. It works with halogen, xenon etc. The camera that is required for the matrix beam is the Driver Assistance front camera. That is the same one as the Active Lane Assist, Traffic Sign Recognition etc camera.

Quick Reply: RS3 and Matrix LED lights