S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2012 S4 advice...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 S4 advice...

Hi guys!

I'm currently considering purchasing a 2012 S4 premium plus 39k miles, clean car fax with an asking price of $26k....

My question really is weather am I going to become frustrated with on steaming bluetooth audio, no back up camera rear parking sensors etc? How do current 2012 owners find not having some of the newer technology features? and would you this influence you buying a 2012 S4?

I currently have a 2013 Q5 3.0T that has flat bottom steering wheel, parking sensors rear & front, drive select etc etc

The S4 will become my main car as my wife will be taking the Q5

Thanks guys!
Old 04-13-2017, 06:35 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You cannot order a used car to your own specifications. But you can search the internet (Cars.com. Autotrader.com) to find a car which has the options and color combination you want or can live with or without. I ordered a 2014 S4 to my exact specifications. Due to circumstances, I found myself in a situation where leasing was no longer a benefit to me. So I traded in my perfect car for a 2011, S4 .Black(which I said I would never buy again) and gave up some options that I liked. I am not unhappy with the car since it still has many of the features that I really want.

FYI, you can add bluetooth with a tune2air for about $80.(which I have)
Amazon Amazon
Plugs into the connector in your glove compartment and works just like the factory bluetooth. I do believe you can have the rear camera and backup sensors retrofitted to the car. Not sure of the cost, but I don't think it is cost prohibitive, IMHO, the quintessential S4 has B&0 radio, Sport differential,Nav. Everything else is gravy or personal preference. BTW, you cannot feasibly add a sport dif to a car that does not have it. Check out Cars.com and autotrader.com to see if there might be something out there that has more of the features that you want.

Last edited by DrGP; 04-13-2017 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

As a current 2012 s4 - prestige owner, I was a little disappointed that Bluetooth streaming was not available. But as mentioned, I got the tune to air device and the rest is history.. so that should not be an issue. I had beamers before that only had the mirror tilt option which I liked but now I have the back up camera, I really love it. S4 B8 premium plus does have mirror tilt in reverse but only on the driver side. This car is my daily driver, purchased at 54,000 miles and currently have 85000 miles . No issues and living every moment!!!
Old 04-13-2017, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Justin411
As a current 2012 s4 - prestige owner, I was a little disappointed that Bluetooth streaming was not available. But as mentioned, I got the tune to air device and the rest is history.. so that should not be an issue. I had beamers before that only had the mirror tilt option which I liked but now I have the back up camera, I really love it. S4 B8 premium plus does have mirror tilt in reverse but only on the driver side. This car is my daily driver, purchased at 54,000 miles and currently have 85000 miles . No issues and living every moment!!!
**mirror tilt only on the passenger side.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:37 AM
Banned

You should be aware that with a simple vag com change you can get your Premium plus passenger side mirror to dip in reverse. I have done it on all my Prem + S4s. There is a slight glitch though, The mirror does not alway return to the initial position and may need to be readjusted after they return to the previous position. To me that is a minor problem. Are you sure your Driver side mirrors dip? What would be the purpose to that and when does it happen?
Old 04-14-2017, 10:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
You cannot order a used car to your own specifications. But you can search the internet (Cars.com. Autotrader.com) to find a car which has the options and color combination you want or can live with or without. I ordered a 2014 S4 to my exact specifications. Due to circumstances, I found myself in a situation where leasing was no longer a benefit to me. So I traded in my perfect car for a 2011, S4 .Black(which I said I would never buy again) and gave up some options that I liked. I am not unhappy with the car since it still has many of the features that I really want.

FYI, you can add bluetooth with a tune2air for about $80.(which I have) https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_43kut7z4s0_e Plugs into the connector in your glove compartment and works just like the factory bluetooth. I do believe you can have the rear camera and backup sensors retrofitted to the car. Not sure of the cost, but I don't think it is cost prohibitive, IMHO, the quintessential S4 has B&0 radio, Sport differential,Nav. Everything else is gravy or personal preference. BTW, you cannot feasibly add a sport dif to a car that does not have it. Check out Cars.com and autotrader.com to see if there might be something out there that has more of the features that you want.
Thanks DrGP, will definitely get the tune2air if I decide to pull the trigger.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Justin!

I have found a prestige relatively close to me which is from an Audi dealer. It does have slightly higher milage at 59k but seeing if there is anyway they would CPO

Is there any known watch out / faults that are common with the S4 once you get over 85k miles? I would probably be looking to keep this car for at lest 5 years which would put the milage @ around 105-110k by the time i'm ready to sell....

Here are the two cars, any advice is appreciated

2012 S4 Prestige - FASH

Used 2012 Audi S4 For Sale in San Antonio TX | Near Alamo Heights, Converse TX & Schertz | VIN: WAUKGAFL6CA106461

2012 S4 Premium Plus - Service history seems sporadic

Used 2012 Audi S4 For Sale | Granbury TX | WAUBGAFL0CA047150
Old 04-14-2017, 03:50 PM
Banned

TH\ese cars have been remarkably reliable even with higher mileage. IMHO, all thermostats will eventually fail It requires removing the supercharger to get at it. DSG trans could be a potential issue . also I suggest putting on a protective screen over the radiator and IC radiator. FYI, I would go for the car with the lower mileage as long as it has a sport dif.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
TH\ese cars have been remarkably reliable even with higher mileage. IMHO, all thermostats will eventually fail It requires removing the supercharger to get at it. DSG trans could be a potential issue . also I suggest putting on a protective screen over the radiator and IC radiator. FYI, I would go for the car with the lower mileage as long as it has a sport dif.
Great intel DrGP!

As for the two cars unfortunately the lower milage does not have the sport diff unfortunately.....Do you find this makes a massive difference?
Old 04-15-2017, 11:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by edwardznyc
Great intel DrGP!

As for the two cars unfortunately the lower milage does not have the sport diff unfortunately.....Do you find this makes a massive difference?
YES! IT IS HUGE. I wouldn't buy it then. Others will tell you different. It also looks like the other car has keyless entry and push button start. Nice features that I can do without but would rather have. IMHO, the sport dif is THE feature that makes the S4 special.

Last edited by DrGP; 04-15-2017 at 11:10 AM.

Quick Reply: 2012 S4 advice...