A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Weird Factory Nav Problem: Main Map Frozen

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Factory Nav Problem: Main Map Frozen

I made a little stop a local Target store after picking my US model 2005 A6 up from the mechanic's shop after they replaced an failed HID bulb. When I drove away from the Target lot, I noticed that the map on console display was frozen, showing my position still in the Target lot. I figured we had a little computer hiccup that would clear when programmed a destination in, so I did so. No dice--map still frozen with no path line and position indicator still in the Target lot, but the info bar at the right counted down distance correctly, and little map "repeater" in the center of the instrument panel showed each upcoming turn correctly. When commanded to show Destination Area, the map went blank, and when commanded to show Current Position, it again showed no path line and me still in the Target lot, even though I had driven several miles from there. But as I say, the info area the right and the "repeater" work correctly. Any idea what's wrong and what can be done about it?

I feel if I could get the the MMI to crash completely and reboot, as will sometime happen when I'm keying in a satellite channel number, that might clear the problem, but I haven't been able to provoke that "feature" when i want to.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by SI67
I made a little stop a local Target store after picking my US model 2005 A6 up from the mechanic's shop after they replaced an failed HID bulb. When I drove away from the Target lot, I noticed that the map on console display was frozen, showing my position still in the Target lot. I figured we had a little computer hiccup that would clear when programmed a destination in, so I did so. No dice--map still frozen with no path line and position indicator still in the Target lot, but the info bar at the right counted down distance correctly, and little map "repeater" in the center of the instrument panel showed each upcoming turn correctly. When commanded to show Destination Area, the map went blank, and when commanded to show Current Position, it again showed no path line and me still in the Target lot, even though I had driven several miles from there. But as I say, the info area the right and the "repeater" work correctly. Any idea what's wrong and what can be done about it?

I feel if I could get the the MMI to crash completely and reboot, as will sometime happen when I'm keying in a satellite channel number, that might clear the problem, but I haven't been able to provoke that "feature" when i want to.
Your issue is as a result of the issue you had here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...-leak-2915318/

Most likely your BT module is underwater and bad and will either need to be replaced or an optical bypass placed on it.

I assume you've attempted the 3 button reset on the MMI:
Old 04-24-2017, 12:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BT module? Beaucoup Thousands?

The issue persisted through several car/engine restarts, but after the car sat for a few days, the problem cleared.

I didn't know about the three-finger salute for the MMI--thanks for that info. Thanks also for the info about drains as the likely cause of my water intrusion problem. I'd better chase that before something worse happens.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by SI67
BT module? Beaucoup Thousands?

The issue persisted through several car/engine restarts, but after the car sat for a few days, the problem cleared.

I didn't know about the three-finger salute for the MMI--thanks for that info. Thanks also for the info about drains as the likely cause of my water intrusion problem. I'd better chase that before something worse happens.
BT = Bluetooth

The issue will come back due to the water ingress into your vehicle and you'll need to remedy the cause.