Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Just bought 2017 S3

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just bought 2017 S3

Coming from a 2014 S4 (B8.5) with the workhorse supercharged 3.0 liter engine. My new S3 has lots of nice options but must say that the thing that hit me first was the Sound Enhancing Resonator delete kit! I've only had the car for a day so far but there are a lot of big differences between the 2 cars obviously. I must say that my S3 definitely sounds and acts more like a true sports car and I like it. I haven't been on this forum for a long time so I need to read up on all the facts of the S3. Thanks in advance for your support!
Old 04-19-2017, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

First photo
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2017, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmay
Coming from a 2014 S4 (B8.5) with the workhorse supercharged 3.0 liter engine. My new S3 has lots of nice options but must say that the thing that hit me first was the Sound Enhancing Resonator delete kit! I've only had the car for a day so far but there are a lot of big differences between the 2 cars obviously. I must say that my S3 definitely sounds and acts more like a true sports car and I like it. I haven't been on this forum for a long time so I need to read up on all the facts of the S3. Thanks in advance for your support!
Originally Posted by Timmay
First photo
Congrats, welcome back! Car looks great, the subtle changes made in the facelift makes such a difference. Post more pics and keep us updated on your purchase.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Timmay, congrats on your new ride! Very sharp! And thanks for the photo as it validates my color choices for my recent RS3 order. LOL. Same color with BO package. The 2017 S3s look really great with the facelift. Am in the process of selling my 2015 S3 now. No trade in. Have too much extra into the car. APR stage II makes S3s move along quite well. Something to consider in the future perhaps!
Old 04-20-2017, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
Timmay, congrats on your new ride! Very sharp! And thanks for the photo as it validates my color choices for my recent RS3 order. LOL. Same color with BO package. The 2017 S3s look really great with the facelift. Am in the process of selling my 2015 S3 now. No trade in. Have too much extra into the car. APR stage II makes S3s move along quite well. Something to consider in the future perhaps!
Thanks guys! Yes I love the Daytona Gray. As with most cars, photos just don't do it justice, particularly this color IMHO. I think the Black Optic package is what really sets it off too as I really like the wheels. Thought about getting another Glacier White like my last S4 but decided on a change of pace. Glad I did! Now I have to get some tint!
Attached Thumbnails Just bought 2017 S3-imag0796.jpg   Just bought 2017 S3-imag0801.jpg  

Last edited by Timmay; 04-20-2017 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Gorgeous car Timmay. Has an aggressive yet subtle look. Think that's what Audi is all about. Unless one drives an R8 of course. That's sort of in-your-face. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Wish i had the red calipers on my daytona.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
Gorgeous car Timmay. Has an aggressive yet subtle look. Think that's what Audi is all about. Unless one drives an R8 of course. That's sort of in-your-face. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Thanks Fixeroh. Your upcoming RS3 will look even more aggressive! Looking forward to seeing it when you have it. I've always liked the beefier exhaust tips on the RS series. Funny thing is my sales guy told me he thought my S3 with the res delete kit sounded like an R8. Lol I'm sure that's a big stretch but it does sound good in any case.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks! Really excited about my RS3. Wait is killer however. And it could be 3 to 4 months. :-(

I had the resonator delete on my car but removed it. Loved the sound. Was really great. But to go to Stage 2 tune, had to replace the stock downpipe with a larger diameter cast unit. Got mine from APR. Downpipe creates additional 'sound' too. That coupled with the resonator delete made my S3 sound like it should be on the GT3 grid at Daytona for the 24 hours! Way too loud. Woke up the neighborhood in the morning. So I replaced the resonator and now it's perfect. Very gnarly sound and not overly loud. Enjoy your car. S3 is blast. If Audi didn't introduce the RS3 to the states, I would be quite content with my S3.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ahh yeah the wait. Must be painful indeed! I had the same feeling many years ago when I had ordered an e46 M3 when they first started selling them in the US.

I LOL'd reading the remark about the APR Stage 2 tune and res delete. I'm sure the neighbors are glad you decided to remove the option.

Btw, totally different subject but what tires came on your S3 when you bought it? I had the Contisport Contacts which is pretty typical for Audi, but I don't like them due to how quickly they wear and the $$$ they charge for them. I usually buy Michelin Pilot Supersports when the original OEMs are done. The balance in both wet and dry and decent longevity are hard to beat IMO.

Having said that, I just had my wheels/tires swapped out at the dealer today with Pirelli P Zeros. Long story short one of the wheels and tire had some damage that I didn't notice when buying the car. Fortunately they had another S3 with the optional Black Optic package w/19s and swapped them out with my originals. I can't imagine these P Zeros will be any worse than the Contis but we'll see.

Quick Reply: Just bought 2017 S3