Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Having Sun Roof tinted

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Having Sun Roof tinted

Using Auto image in San Mateo Calif. Cost is $150.00. Unfortunately 3 week wait as I am not the only one who thinks the panoramic sunroof lets in too much light. Owner told me he is seeing alot of luxury car owners who don't like the sunroof. Its puzzling to me why they would put this panoramic sun roof on an A5 since it doesn't slide.The shade is useless. Why would you put holes in a shade that is supposed to block the sun. I have noticed lately that there is too much sun and heat . Sun must be higher in the sky.The owner told me he is starting to see many Audi owners who want their roofs tinted.I talked to a guy with an S8 who says he has the same problem. He has a problem with his arm so sliding that manual shade hurts.. Puzzling why their is no electric slide in a car this price.

A friend who has had melanoma wants to buy an A4 but is being told he can not order a new car without the sunroof. Is this true?
Old 04-26-2017, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2014 S5 I got CPOd and it looks to have some tint on it. With the shade closed it blocks great for me.

I will state that the car is tinted all around as well, however on both my previous Audis (01 S4 and 04 A6 Avant) the sunroofs had tint from factory on them.

As far as ordering without Sunroof I think it's standard but a Sunroof has a full sun blocking shade, while the Panoramic has a filtering shade as I recall.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "shade" of the panoramic roof blocks almost all light. I guess you could use an extremely dark tint and see if that blocks it further.

For your friend with melanoma: the amount of light in wont affect his risk of a new melanoma..... Light is not a risk factor for melanoma... UV radiation is.

I think the car already comes with glass that will filter UV radiation, but to make sure, he can get high quality tinting installed. With the 3M crystalline tint, he doesnt even need to get a darker color.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 94% tinting has blocked most of the sun. Youc an still see the yellow ball of the sun if you look up and it is directly overhead.Much better since I never will use it anyway. The shop did a great job. Highly recommend. Said they have a back log of Audi owners who can't stand the panormaic sun roof.Took me a month to get an appointment.

Friend just bought a A6 since it has new traditional full block shade.