Please help... A6 3.2 Intake CAM Bank 1. W/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help... A6 3.2 Intake CAM Bank 1. W/ pics

Hello All,
I have a 2007 A6 with the 3.2 that has me on a wild goose chase. I hope the forums knowledge can make some sense of this.

Started out with the P0341 code with the CEL.
Replaced all plugs and Camshaft position sensor (G40) on bank 1.
CEL and code remained.
Purchased the Xtool Vag 401 to further dig into the codes.
Block 93 (picture below) showed the bank 1 intake cam at 31 degrees..
From research on the forum I swapped bank 1 and bank 2 intake and exhaust cam adjustment solenoids.
CEL and code remained. Block 93 still shows bank 1 intake cam at 31 degrees.

Attached are pictures of Blocks 90,91,92,93,94 and the fault code.

Am I missing something or interrupting the indications incorrectly?

Any suggestions are really appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Please help... A6 3.2 Intake CAM Bank 1. W/ pics-img_0230.jpg   Please help... A6 3.2 Intake CAM Bank 1. W/ pics-img_0231.jpg   Please help... A6 3.2 Intake CAM Bank 1. W/ pics-img_0232.jpg   Please help... A6 3.2 Intake CAM Bank 1. W/ pics-img_0233.jpg   Please help... A6 3.2 Intake CAM Bank 1. W/ pics-img_0234.jpg  

Please help... A6 3.2 Intake CAM Bank 1. W/ pics-img_0235.jpg  
Old 04-24-2017, 12:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the work you have done so far, it seems like it could actually be out of time a little on that one cam. I had similar issue on mine after replacing the timing chain tensioners. But mine was slightly out of time because I incorrectly pretensioned the cam phasers when I reassembled everything. Sounds like your problem started independently, so it would be weird to get out of time a little on its own. That might be something to verify and rule out. The timing blocks used to verify timing on these engines make it a sure thing. If they sit flush and bolt down with little to no resistance, then you can be sure that, mechanically, everything is exactly where it is supposed to be. It doesn't take much to throw that code. Mine was out maybe the equivalent to half a tooth on the phaser and threw that code and idled rough. After resetting timing to exactly the correct position it has been trouble free.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the reply. That's along the same line I am thinking. I also started thinking since it was such a high positive value on the intake cam bank 1 that it could be a stuck tensioner. Am I correct in thinking that if a tensioner were to stick all the way up it could cause this? Would it be on both the intake and exhaust instead of just the intake side?

Any suggestions on where to find cheap or rentable timing blocks?
Old 05-01-2017, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Huey Martin
I appreciate the reply. That's along the same line I am thinking. I also started thinking since it was such a high positive value on the intake cam bank 1 that it could be a stuck tensioner. Am I correct in thinking that if a tensioner were to stick all the way up it could cause this? Would it be on both the intake and exhaust instead of just the intake side?

Any suggestions on where to find cheap or rentable timing blocks?
Not sure, but I don't think a tensioner stuck out would cause it to be out of time. Seems like it's only gonna get out of time if the bolts that hold the phasers in position are loosened, as they are what hold the phaser in place in relation to the cam rotational position.
Now a tensioner stuck in (not providing enough tension) seems like could cause the timing to be off some. When that happens, tho, I think you would hear the chain clattering when engine running. Or at least mine made alot of noise.
As for timing blocks, the cheapest I found them was on eBay. I think they were around $60. None of the auto parts stores around me had them for rental, or in stock for sale for that matter. Might be more readily available if you live in or near a big city. I don't.
Good luck with it.