Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Navigation system question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 07:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation system question

I know this is an A6 forum but I guess the same applies to A6. I'm looking at a 2015 RS6 at the moment it's got everything except NAV. Dunno why previous owner didn't get it but I wanted to know is it possible to get it back after? At Audi? Is it a matter of software or hardware too? As it seems to me the MMI system is quite the latest for the RS6 which includes Bluetooth audio steaming., back up camera etc. The center console is exactly the same. Just when I click the NAV button nothing happens.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2017, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Both hardware and software would be required.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Both hardware and software would be required.
How much would that cost usually? Can you do it at Audi? Which I assume would be expensive. or can you do it outside? Is the process complicated?
Old 04-24-2017, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Depending on model and country, you it would need a different nav-entertainment 5F module, likely need a new screen and DIS display. Then there would be labor and software coding by a dealer. Would prob cost in the thousands. Maybe look for another car with factory nav. Or just buy a Garmin and call it a day.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Depending on model and country, you it would need a different nav-entertainment 5F module, likely need a new screen and DIS display. Then there would be labor and software coding by a dealer. Would prob cost in the thousands. Maybe look for another car with factory nav. Or just buy a Garmin and call it a day.
ah it's basically a 2016 RS6 with its latest mmi system for it. Just without NAV. Everything else is there.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by changareth
ah it's basically a 2016 RS6 with its latest mmi system for it. Just without NAV. Everything else is there.
Where exactly are you located? Nav on the RS6 seems to be standard. Just took a glance at audi.de and it's standard. We don't get the RS6 here in North America, but Nav is also standard in the RS7. I'm not sure how one ends up with an RS6 and no Nav, even though the button is there. Audi generally offers at least two levels for the MMI, and two different Nav systems. At least in the past that was the case. There was a basic Nav system and then the full Nav system on the highest level of MMI. The lower level MMI is internally different and uses a regular copper harness, while the higher level MMI uses an optical bus, so going from the lower level to the higher level requires rewiring the car. Judging from audi.de, the RS6 seems to only come with the higher level MMI and as I said is supposed to have Nav as a standard option.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes mine should be the higher level mmi coz it's got Bluetooth audio music streaming feature and the interface is the new one. Just that when I click NAV it doesn't have it. I'm in Hong Kong. Dunno if it's a separate option so wanted to see if it's just a case of hardware or software upgrade if I was to get it back ><. As I thought it should be standard too especially for that price range for a car too!
Old 04-24-2017, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by changareth
Yes mine should be the higher level mmi coz it's got Bluetooth audio music streaming feature and the interface is the new one. Just that when I click NAV it doesn't have it. I'm in Hong Kong. Dunno if it's a separate option so wanted to see if it's just a case of hardware or software upgrade if I was to get it back ><. As I thought it should be standard too especially for that price range for a car too!
Just checked out the Audi Hong Kong configurator and Nav is standard even in Hong Kong, so again, it's not clear how you ended up with one that doesn't have Nav and what would need to be done to get it.
Attached Thumbnails Navigation system question-capture.jpg  
Old 04-24-2017, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

thats really strange. Let me call them and I ask. I do have the NAV icon in the mmi menu. But nothing happens when I click into it.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 180 Likes on 160 Posts

To answer your initial question can it be done, the answer is yes. Kufatec (https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/au...ct?action_ms=1) offer the hardware but in the UK you are looking at more than £3k and that is without installation and seems to not offer all of the functionality you get from the factory installed version. As others have said, it seems odd that you have ended up with a car without navigation. On the panel on the transmission tunnel is it made up of six discrete buttons or is it the touch panel. If the latter then I would have thought you almost certainly have the navigation installed

Quick Reply: Navigation system question