Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

From M3 to RS3???

Old 04-24-2017, 06:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From M3 to RS3???

Big time Audi guy. Had a 2016 S3 and loved it but in October last year went to the dark side and got a 2017 BMW M3 with the Competition package. The thing is an absolute beast and sounds incredible. Problem is, without AWD, it's very difficult to take advantage of all the power.

Definitely going to be making a move back to Audi once the RS3 or TT RS comes out. Just not sure if I'll be disappointed in a lack of power (though to my point, I'll be able to make more use of it with the Quattro). Prefer the TT RS over the RS3 as I'm a single guy with no kids to haul.

What are my fellow Audi friends thoughts on the move? Is it dumb to go from an M3 Comp to an RS3/TTRS?
Old 04-24-2017, 06:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here she is by the way... Her name is Ursula...
Old 04-24-2017, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

First of all, I've never named a car. It seems funny that BMW nails the M3/M4 . . . FINALLY with the "comp" package. The reviews have not been stellar. I've had a boatload of ///M cars and have loved them all, but never the latest gen of these. How about answering:

- where do you live?
- do you visit roadcourses often?
- are you okay with driving a smaller 4-door?

This should be an interesting thread . . .
Old 04-24-2017, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S3PANG
Big time Audi guy. Had a 2016 S3 and loved it but in October last year went to the dark side and got a 2017 BMW M3 with the Competition package. The thing is an absolute beast and sounds incredible. Problem is, without AWD, it's very difficult to take advantage of all the power.

Definitely going to be making a move back to Audi once the RS3 or TT RS comes out. Just not sure if I'll be disappointed in a lack of power (though to my point, I'll be able to make more use of it with the Quattro). Prefer the TT RS over the RS3 as I'm a single guy with no kids to haul.

What are my fellow Audi friends thoughts on the move? Is it dumb to go from an M3 Comp to an RS3/TTRS?
Well, being a huge fan of both BMW and Audi (*Disclosure* I have a 2018 RS3 on order and I am #1 on the list for allocation here at my local dealer). If it makes you feel any better, the TTRS and the RS3 will be lighter than the M3. The 0-60 time on the RS3, and certainly the TTRS is measurably faster than the M3 as well (AWD). The M3 is a monster, and a beautiful car. I will say that it would be a tough choice between the two cars in my book.

What ultimately made up my mind for the RS3 is the following:

- The M3 is sort of common place and I happen to see them a lot in the US as of now and where I live.

- The M3 did not feel as quality as the Audi A3 variants felt to me! This is of course a personal preference, but was a large deciding factor for me.

- The M3 might be slightly faster around a track in the hands of a professional? (not too sure on that as the new RS3 has yet to be pitted against it). But, how likely/often are you likely to see or feel that difference on a daily basis? To me, 0-60 and within that range is what is legal, and that is where the fun is had.

- The RS3 sounds better to me. The M3 sounds great, but it doesn't have that unique 5 cylinder sound! That is a sound that is so rare, and unheard on the streets of the US. I look forward to bring that sound to our streets soon.

- The RS3 actually has a higher top speed than the M3 when the limiter is lifted. The M3 with the comp package has a top speed of 163MPH. Audi is 174MPH, or faster.

- Car and Driver had the following stats for the two cars. They are pretty close. The M3 is faster when driven at criminal speeds, but unless this is a track only toy, that shouldn't matter to you. The RS3 will get real and updated stats once they officially launch.

RS3 (this is likely to change as the car is actually launched, and tested again. Audi very often underestimates their numbers, and tests regularly come back higher than the maker provided numbers):
Zero to 60 mph: 3.9 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.9 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.4 sec
Top speed: 155-174 mph

M3:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 8.6 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 14.6 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 21.1 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 4.6 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 2.2 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 2.8 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.2 sec @ 120 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 163 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 146 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.98 g

- I personally like the styling of the Audi for a more long term daily use car. The styling is aggressive and beautiful. It can easily slip under the radar when needed or wanted, and open up into something glorious when needed or wanted as well.

Sorry for the longer post, who reads anymore right? Either way, I think that the RS3 and the M3 are so close that it is hard to say which is "better" it will all come down to personal preference.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Forgot to mention the price differences between the two cars

While the base $ for the M3 is $64k and some change, the car Car and Driver tested was $88,095!

At that price you could get an RS3 and a new MX-5. The RS3 is not cheap by any means, but the "good" M3's have a lot of options and boxes you need to tick to get the nice ones. The order guides for the RS3 are rather reasonable for the good ones.

I imagine you already have this money, or around it, into the M3. The primary point of the pricing is that the M3 is not $30k+ better than the RS3 performance wise, not even close.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S3PANG

RS5. Problem solved.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vijay
RS5. Problem solved.
Very good point.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd take the RS3 in a heartbeat over the M3. It'll be way more exclusive and Audi just does a better job of fit and finish IMHO. Having Quattro is a big plus in my book. You can opt for the carbon ceramic brakes for the RS3 and it will likely still be considerably less than the decked out M3.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vijay
RS5. Problem solved.
If you don't want 4 doors, yeah.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmay
If you don't want 4 doors, yeah.
Well the OP said he was a single guy with no kids and was also considering a TT-RS, so in that context, I am thinking 4 doors are not a necessity. The RS5 is actually the proper competition to the M3/4 anyway. RS3=M2=CLA45AMG

Last edited by Vijay; 04-25-2017 at 07:33 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: From M3 to RS3???