Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 retrofit

can I change my 2010 q5 with 2014 headlights? but is there a different housing I need to use?
Old 04-25-2017, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Bi-xenon headlight system? Halogen headlights? Self-leveling headlights? Steering headlights?

There's a whole range of complications, your best bet is to buy better bulbs for what you have, if you're looking for more light. And don't change the fixtures if you plan to sell the car in the next few years, a buyer might worry "It has the wrong headlights, did they have front end damage?"

Besides, the 2014 headlight lenses apparently have a defect. At least with the bi-xenon models, the *in*side of the lenses pits and degrades, apparently from the radiation of the xenon capsules. Not worth getting involved.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Redd
Bi-xenon headlight system? Halogen headlights? Self-leveling headlights? Steering headlights?

There's a whole range of complications, your best bet is to buy better bulbs for what you have, if you're looking for more light. And don't change the fixtures if you plan to sell the car in the next few years, a buyer might worry "It has the wrong headlights, did they have front end damage?"

Besides, the 2014 headlight lenses apparently have a defect. At least with the bi-xenon models, the *in*side of the lenses pits and degrades, apparently from the radiation of the xenon capsules. Not worth getting involved.

thanks for the info Redd, I appreciate that. Im a newbie with audi and looking into upgrading some of the components I have. but if I may, what do you recommend for back up camera upgrade for my 2010 audi q5? it is also my first audi and any expert suggestions from you is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Audi Q5 - Swapping 2013 headlights to a 2009-2012 - almost there !
Old 04-25-2017, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Riceboy's URL shows it can be done...Take a week off and get out the bank loan.(G)

On the reaview cam there are a couple of threads recommending different equipment. I'm interested, but again considering the amount of work and the "basement" flavor of some of the solutions, I decided I can hold off on that. One of the companies call s their product "OEM" which means it has to be made by the same company that Audi buys the real thing from. And it isn't. So my distrust of the product goes up right away. Either of them will be probably a full day's work, removing hatch trim splicing, running cables into the load floor and then forward, taking part of the dash apart...I'm working on my neck exercises instead.(G) Or perhaps $150 for a rearview cam that works with my GPS instead. If you're into $350-400 for the hardware, one of the aftermarkets is affordable, but if you need installation, expect to double that. I just wrote it off as "another Audi disappointment". Since they were supposed to be mandatory in 2014, and one would have expected the better automakers to just deploy the damned things and not quibble about it. (When you're selling safety and high tech, and don't ship it, that's just lame.)

What I want is one of those big dancing wind sock puppets (like they put up in used carlots and car washes?) that will blow out behind my car whenever I'm in reverse, and scare away all the folks who try to rush under my back bumper. (Hey, it's four thousand pounds plus, you KNOW it can't see you, so you try to get behind it faster? Duh?)
Old 04-25-2017, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

that is pretty riceboy...I wish I was that handy though. its gonna be expensive for me if I go to an installation store. but thanks all, appreciate you guys
Old 04-25-2017, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Riceboy's URL shows it can be done...Take a week off and get out the bank loan.(G)

On the reaview cam there are a couple of threads recommending different equipment. I'm interested, but again considering the amount of work and the "basement" flavor of some of the solutions, I decided I can hold off on that. One of the companies call s their product "OEM" which means it has to be made by the same company that Audi buys the real thing from. And it isn't. So my distrust of the product goes up right away. Either of them will be probably a full day's work, removing hatch trim splicing, running cables into the load floor and then forward, taking part of the dash apart...I'm working on my neck exercises instead.(G) Or perhaps $150 for a rearview cam that works with my GPS instead. If you're into $350-400 for the hardware, one of the aftermarkets is affordable, but if you need installation, expect to double that. I just wrote it off as "another Audi disappointment". Since they were supposed to be mandatory in 2014, and one would have expected the better automakers to just deploy the damned things and not quibble about it. (When you're selling safety and high tech, and don't ship it, that's just lame.)

What I want is one of those big dancing wind sock puppets (like they put up in used carlots and car washes?) that will blow out behind my car whenever I'm in reverse, and scare away all the folks who try to rush under my back bumper. (Hey, it's four thousand pounds plus, you KNOW it can't see you, so you try to get behind it faster? Duh?)
Redd, I'd say the solution for RVC offered by carsgadget is pretty darn good and although I agree that these should be mandatory in today's vehicles...the install wasn't very hard and just monotonous more than anything else.

Either I can complain that something isn't the way I want it to be, or I can sort it out myself...I chose to do the latter in this case: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-pics-2893052/
Old 04-25-2017, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
Redd, I'd say the solution for RVC offered by carsgadget is pretty darn good and although I agree that these should be mandatory in today's vehicles...the install wasn't very hard and just monotonous more than anything else.

Either I can complain that something isn't the way I want it to be, or I can sort it out myself...I chose to do the latter in this case: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-pics-2893052/
Redd is becoming a old slacker.........<G?!

The first time I installed the rear camera it was about a 4 hour job ( a few beer stops also), the second time should be around a hour or so as I believe they made it where you don't need to lower the glove box anymore and don't need to tap into any +12V.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Reds, where are you seeing that info on the inside of the lens putting from the bulbs? We have been fighting with the dealer over this very issue.

Thanks, Grey
Old 04-27-2017, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Grey-
When I went in for the auxiliary heater self-destruct prevention recall, I happened to walk in front of the car while the service writer was circling it. And saw the headlight covers were fogged and pitted. I thought on the outside, but when I took a hand to wipe one of them, I saw it was on the inside. So I called over the service writer and said "That's not right." And they said don't worry about, they would warranty it (charge it off under warranty) the only question was whether they had the parts in stock--which it happened that they did. Both assemblies replaced same day, no charge, no argument.

I found out recently the dealer is one of Audi's "elite" group, i.e. they've received formal recognition for making a lot of customers very happy. I'd say that if your dealer hasn't been able to do that, see if there's an elite dealer in your area, whatever the right word is for them. (Do I remember? Nope.)

Quick Reply: Q5 retrofit