Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

My Q7 is here

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Default My Q7 is here

4 Months to (almost) the day from my order and I picked up my Q7 Prestige yesterday. What a dreary and rainy day in the NE, not ideal for a brand new car pick-up, but oh well. A big thanks to SYMAWD, from whom I purchased this car. Great to deal with and very transparent and honest throughout the process. I could go on about him, but you all know him pretty well already. I must have spent 2-3 hours going over the car with him and just chatting about the car and Audi. Without oversharing about SYM, I’ll just say he is a bright young man, with the right attitude in life. Given how much time we spent going over the car I think I am very comfortable with the controls and MMI, and literally had the ACC drive me back from Philly to Washington!

I want to post some initial thoughts on this vehicle after my 2.5 hours behind the wheel. This is just straight up thoughts on things I remembered using. Pictures of (dirty) car will follow. This weekend I’ll post better pics

Exterior styling – Not much to say here. Love it! Love the LED DRLs

Interior styling – One word “Modern”. It’s minimalistic and clean, and that’s how I like it. The LED lights were cool. Even though I have a variety of choices, I like the Blue, Red, and White the most. These are standard on the Q…LOL!

ACC – Damn, I love it! I used more cruise control in one drive than I have used my entire life. I set the darn thing and let it ride, and it worked perfectly. I had a few scary moments on I-95 when the traffic went from 80 mph to 0 very quickly, but the Q7 reacted really well, but a little too scary for me. Maybe I should set the distance further apart

Lane departure – Also worked great. I was in drizzle, downpour, misty rain, etc. and it held its own very well. Only issue was the alarm for me to hold the steering wheel even so often

Wipers – Seem a bit flimsy…can actually see it losing its shape during the wipe

Technology – Wow, there is so much of it and it’s everywhere (HUD, Virtual cockpit, Screen). At one point I even shut down the screen as my senses were in overload. LOL. The Virtual cockpit is nice, and really it’s the future of all cars. I was able to understand and use it pretty easily. Its like an extra screen you can use to display information different from the screen. Don’t be intimidated by the MMI, learn it!

Bose – Its good

Brakes – Great!

Steering – Buttery smooth, which is good and bad for some. I liked the Dynamic mode better

Acceleration – The gas pedal is the weirdest part for me about this car. It’s as if while I push in the gas pedal, there is a tight spring pushing back at my foot. I felt that my feet would hurt after 10 minutes of driving. In Dynamic model, the pedal was a lot looser and smoother. I’m not sure if I’ll get used to this feeling….it’s very odd. There was solid resistance there, and makes you feel like you can’t get the Q to respond quickly enough

Engine Power – No problem. This thing is so quiet and buttery smooth, I found myself doing 90 mpg on the highway without even noticing. The engine has no issue with getting you up to speed. I just have an issue with the feel I get from the gas pedal

Steering wheel controls – Worked great and well laid out

Gear shifter and Pad – These used to be my least favorite things, and now I really appreciate them. The shifter is designed to rest your hand on while you use the pad, or while you just relax. It was very comfortable, and the pad worked well

Voice Commands – Worked better for me than any other vehicle I’ve owned yet

Auto wipers – Not sure how these work. I had them set on the Auto position, but they never turned on on their own when I restarted the car, even though the windshield was very wet. I’ll have to look this one up

LED Headlight – No so sure about these ones yet, honestly. Initial night driving and they are as bright as Xenons, but not nearly as functional as my 2012 BMW xenons. The light beam does not move around as your curve a road. I didn’t notice the headlights dip or move due to elevation change. The high beams are literally a different array turning on and off. Over the 4-6 years cars have transitioned between dipped lights and high beams via a smooth transition as the lights rise and fall as needed smoothly. This is like me pulling the stalk myself. Audi has touted these as breakthrough lights so much, so maybe I’ll pay close attention to this and post an update.

Efficiency - Did I mention that i got over 25mpg? And I wasnt drivin' Miss Daisy either.

Here are some pics below, promise to post more as the weather improves

See mpg
Old 04-25-2017, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Ooooooooh. More pictures of the white A5/S5 (?) please.

Just kidding. Very nice Q7. What's the interior trim? Is it the dark High-gloss Black/Gray Oak Wood inlays?
Old 04-25-2017, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
Ooooooooh. More pictures of the white A5/S5 (?) please.

Just kidding. Very nice Q7. What's the interior trim? Is it the dark High-gloss Black/Gray Oak Wood inlays?
Yes it is. My interior pic are **** thanks to iphone. I'll take better ones this weekend.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I pick mine up Thursday morning with a 2 hour drive right after. I cannot wait! Love the color by the way.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Very nice....yeah enjoy it man.

Someone on one of the forums said the 3.0T was not powerful enough. I almost fell out my seat. Like what Q you driving. This thing runs up to 80+ with ZERO! struggle.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dasaint
Very nice....yeah enjoy it man.

Someone on one of the forums said the 3.0T was not powerful enough. I almost fell out my seat. Like what Q you driving. This thing runs up to 80+ with ZERO! struggle.
Seriously? I find myself at 75-80mph on 520 without even noticing... I've actually had to start paying attention to my speed as I tend to be 15-20 over without a thought.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PeteDin206
Seriously? I find myself at 75-80mph on 520 without even noticing... I've actually had to start paying attention to my speed as I tend to be 15-20 over without a thought.

My father has an A6 and he warned me that you will find yourself speeding without even noticing often lol.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks great! Hoping to pick up mine this week as well! In regards to the auto wipers, there is quite a delay for the auto wipers when you start the car if the windshield is already wet on my q5. I usually give the stalk a push to get it going if I'm coming back to a wet windshield. Once you're driving it works great and the sensitivity adjustment is nice to have.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by trackvaulter01
Looks great! Hoping to pick up mine this week as well! In regards to the auto wipers, there is quite a delay for the auto wipers when you start the car if the windshield is already wet on my q5. I usually give the stalk a push to get it going if I'm coming back to a wet windshield. Once you're driving it works great and the sensitivity adjustment is nice to have.
Yeah the there is a several second delay built in according to the manual. I just rotate the sensivity switch if I want it to clean instantly
Old 04-25-2017, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PeteDin206
Ditto. I've enabled the speed warning at 10mph over the posted speed limit and find myself quite often being nagged about it, but without it, I would easily be 15-20 over.

Quick Reply: My Q7 is here