A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D5 Info - Technical Info on D5 "Level 3" Autonomous Driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default D5 Info - Technical Info on D5 "Level 3" Autonomous Driving

Excerpts from MOTOR AUTHORITY - Apr 25, 2017 (Audi A8 to be first with ‘Level 3’ self-driving capability, but regulations holding back tech)

Capabilities & Limitations-
...Will allow hands-off, eyes-off travel in heavy traffic conditions and at speeds of up to 37 mph.
...But only on roads where the oncoming traffic is separated by a barrier.
...As outlined by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), Level 3 is where a car can take complete control but only in specific situations and with a driver ready to take over when prompted.
...You won’t be able to nod off---Audi’s system is designed to constantly monitor the driver and warn them should conditions change, for example when the traffic starts to speed up.
...Should the driver not respond the car will be able to safely slow down to a stop.

Current Legal Limitations-
...At present no legal framework established to allow Level 3 self-driving capability.
...The A8, despite having the technology ready, likely won’t offer Level 3 self-driving capability at launch.
...At Audi’s 2016 financial results press conference last month, CEO Rupert Stadler said the A8 will only offer the feature when governments in the automaker's core markets allow it and when that is legally safe.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Well that is lame. I really liked the autonomous driving feature on the Tesla I test drove. It works very well. No reason Audi can't work just as well other than they are not willing to upset the authorities.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Super cool, but will they scale back it's capability to match the laws in the market it's in or will it just be off?
Old 04-25-2017, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not that I'm looking to upgrade anytime soon but I hope they just turn in off. It would be nice if it could be activated with VCDS. Also that 37mph limit is not great. The Tesla system will work at any speed so long as all the sensors and cameras are happy with what they see.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
Not that I'm looking to upgrade anytime soon but I hope they just turn in off. It would be nice if it could be activated with VCDS. Also that 37mph limit is not great. The Tesla system will work at any speed so long as all the sensors and cameras are happy with what they see.
But the Tesla isn't a completely hands off/eyes off system. I'll be curious also to see if there are tiers of autonomy. Level 3 below 37mph, level 2 from there, that kind of thing.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The Tesla is a hands off, eyes off system. It will ask you to put your hands back on the wheel but if you ignore it nothing happens. I only drove the car for a short period of time but it works very well. I used it on the highway at 70mph and on regular streets at 25-35 mph. It will even change lanes for you. All you have to do is used the turn signal and as soon as there is a large enough opening in traffic it moves over. Very strange feeling but it works.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Actually...

As conjecture don't be too surprised if by D5 it is walled off from basically ANY mods, with VCDS or otherwise. Audi has been threatening periodically to close off access. They have to deal with various antitrust and other issues relating to third party (mechanic) type access for repair diagnostics and such, but that's different than mods, recoding, etc. Frankly if I were them and the systems increasingly life safety related as well as government rule driven as to specific settings, I would.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The Tesla works fine until you kill yourself like the guy in China. Scary stuff if you aren't paying attention. And yes, I realize that he probably contributed to his own demise...
Old 04-25-2017, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Stop into a dealer and take one for a spin. You'll be amazed at how well it works.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stop into a dealer and take one for a spin. You'll be amazed at how well it works.
does it ever not pick up the lines? ever since i coded the lka to early correction it works really well...however ever so often the car cant pick up the lines in the road all of a sudden...kind of annoying when my full attention is not on driving. also when the warning comes up to put my hand on the wheel it cuts off lka which is retarded lol...because if i really wasnt paying attention then whats the point of lka if it cuts off and causes me an accident? absolutely retarded lol...however my hands are always on the wheel so doesnt matter but that is just retarded...cant get over that part.

but all in all this lka works really well...but i could never drive the tesla as its first of all ugly to me, cant take long trips without having to stop for 30 minutes at a time and no sound...i love engine sound =).

im really really hoping that this new d5 is one ugly *** car so i dont have any regrets buying this car and dont have the urge to buy the next s8 =).

Quick Reply: D5 Info - Technical Info on D5 "Level 3" Autonomous Driving