A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8 Seat as a Chair

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 01:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A8 Seat as a Chair

Hi,

I´m developing one project right now, look what I´m trying to do:
I want to build one chair using one audi a8 seat, why? Because I can set the adjustments using the commands of the seat and make it warm or cold.

The seat has heater and ventilation, massage settings and adjustments for almost all the seat parts.

I found one A8 seat cheap and is working as it should, but I noticed that the deep adjustments are made in the LCD panel inside of the A8, but we can set the entire seat just connecting the PHASE and NEUTRAL to one power supply that can handle with 110v to 12v and 30A

This will work with almost all the electric seats, you just need patience and a little of help with electric diagrams.

Here is the project and some photos:

Frame

Electric diagram of the Audi A8 Seat:

Wires and external connections for the seat

Project made with one seat from BMW E46

[MEDIA=youtube]dik07RJTyKI[/MEDIA]

Project made with one seat from Citroen

[MEDIA=youtube]Yv93Za3A3lY[/MEDIA]

Engineer of the seats:

[MEDIA=youtube]id=DmvoPh3EIsw;t=11[/MEDIA]

For the seat to work properly, we need to find the electrical diagram of the seat and make the connections, fortunately most of the assemblers obey a standard in the assembly / connection of the seats, where the yellow pin is for the Airbag and we should avoid the same and Airbag may be removed from the seat to prevent accidents.

Simply plug the larger wires into a 12v and 20A or 30A power source, depending on the quality / power of your seat, if you do not want a wired chair, simply put a motorcycle battery under the chair and make a charger to plug into the socket when it is empty.

To connect the seat without a car or motorcycle battery, we need a power supply with 110 or 127/220/240 for 12v 30A or 20A (depending on your seat and number of engines).

How to wire:

[MEDIA=youtube]CuMNDPH0FnA[/MEDIA]

Just find the PHASE / NEUTRAL of the seat and turn on the PHASE and NEUTRAL of the source, do not forget to turn on the correct polarity, if you turn on the opposite the motors will turn in the counterclockwise direction

I will post more photos as soon as I finish the project.

My entire home and projects:

https://hardforum.com/threads/post-y...ost-1042912905

Thanks

Last edited by hotsauce2007; 05-11-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hotsauce2007
Hi,

I´m developing one project right now, look what I´m trying to do:
I want to build one chair using one audi a8 seat, why? Because I can set the adjustments using the commands of the seat and make it warm or cold.

The seat has heater and ventilation, massage settings and adjustments for almost all the seat parts.

here is the problem, I found one A8 seat cheap and is working as it should, but I noticed that the deep adjustments are made in the LCD panel inside of the A8, I found the LCD panel and the HVAC control for heat the seat on eBay for 250$, no problem to buy, but here is my question, Do I need one central module or If I plug all together the seat will work with all commands?

Or another option will be : Take all the cables out and wire each one to a new panel with new buttons for each motor/function.

Thanks
Robert
just remember that the heat and cooled part of the system comes from the hvac system itself... you need a heat and ac source
Old 04-26-2017, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cleex024
just remember that the heat and cooled part of the system comes from the hvac system itself... you need a heat and ac source
so basically I need one HVAC to pull hot air or cold air inside of the seat?
if yes, probably I will have to change the project and try to install one heater system that uses wires inside of the seat, like:

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-26-2017, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default The heat is DC electric, the coolth is HVAC.

Originally Posted by hotsauce2007
so basically I need one HVAC to pull hot air or cold air inside of the seat?
if yes, probably I will have to change the project and try to install one heater system that uses wires inside of the seat, like:

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-628-04.../dp/B002U6IL9O
AT least AFAIK.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

The seats have a fan in them that ventilate, they do not themselves cool, and the heating portion comes from electrical elements in the seat. Neither of those functions are associated with HVAC. The A8's ventilation function differs from those found in a Ford, for example, in that it does not blow air on you in the seat, it actually pulls air through, with the idea being to remove heat as opposed to add cold like those other systems.
The following users liked this post:
RedDragonV09 (02-10-2022)
Old 04-26-2017, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I prefer the Audi system. We had a Ford Taurus rental call all last week and I didn't like the cooled seats. The Audi system seems to make it so you don't sweat. The Ford system makes you cold and feels a little weird.

To the OP I don't think you'll be able to do what you want very easily.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
AT least AFAIK.

whoa, I will figure out how to deal with that.

Originally Posted by Jack88
The seats have a fan in them that ventilate, they do not themselves cool, and the heating portion comes from electrical elements in the seat. Neither of those functions are associated with HVAC. The A8's ventilation function differs from those found in a Ford, for example, in that it does not blow air on you in the seat, it actually pulls air through, with the idea being to remove heat as opposed to add cold like those other systems.

Thanks for the explanation, so maybe is better if I change the seat for another one with just electric adjustments and heater / ventilation, do you have any idea about another one?

I did some google about the heater of the audi a8 seat but could not find any photo about it.

Originally Posted by the_duke
I prefer the Audi system. We had a Ford Taurus rental call all last week and I didn't like the cooled seats. The Audi system seems to make it so you don't sweat. The Ford system makes you cold and feels a little weird.

To the OP I don't think you'll be able to do what you want very easily.

yah, but could be awesome , right? use the same seat as a chair with all the settings working properly...
Old 04-27-2017, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

this is what I´am trying to do:

Old 04-28-2017, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

It's going to be difficult with the A8 seat as it doesn't operate with just switches like the one in the video. It has a control module that communicates on the CAN bus in order to move the seat.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

The ventilation system uses the cabin's ambient temp - there's no "cooling" per se. When the cabin cools down from the AC, the seat uses a fan to circulate the surrounding air. As others have said, the seat communicates with the MMI and control modules and software coding. Going to be difficult to circumvent all of that as a stand-alone with operating functions. I suppose with enough engineering know how and money tossed at it, anything is possible.

Quick Reply: Audi A8 Seat as a Chair