A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm assuming T-Mobile just shut off 3g support in my area?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 10:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm assuming T-Mobile just shut off 3g support in my area?

I've got a '14 S8 with Audiconnect. I hadn't driven my car in a couple of weeks but when I started it yesterday it said that the map wouldn't update because there was no connection. I know that T-mobile was discontinuing support for that 2g/3g system. I am not the original owner of my car, so I have not received any notification of an available equipment upgrade or anything like that. I found some threads from a year or two ago on the topic, but has anyone had any luck lately at getting their dealership to get them back online? Is the equipment upgrade something that you have to pay for, or would it be covered under the CPO warranty or Audicare?
Old 04-26-2017, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

my 14 Q7 came with an updated radio for tmobile's 3G changes.. Call AudiConnect and demand a refund if they wont fix it.. From my understanding Original Owners under warranty and registered in impacted cities were the only ones who got radios upgraded after the fact.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 04-26-2017 at 10:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-26-2017, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks...I just called my dealership and they were going to "look into it." I'll give them a chance to do the right thing before I go up the ladder.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

We went through same thing with Q5. We bought it new and had the Audi Connect service from when it first arrived. Audi changed out modem/receiver after sending us a heads' up letter about it. I finally went in the week after the old system was shut down, and it came back to its normal self no problem. I think my 2015 S8 already has the newer modem.

Audi did our Q5 without charge, which I think is what the original mailer said. HOWEVER, I recall posts where post TDI debacle (and hence lots more expense controls and cheapening of various elements of service/suppoort and otherwise) that they may have been charging owners where the Audi Connect service was not continuous. But if you had it enabled pre change, hopefully that is good enough and w/ warranty still in place. Not sure if second owner status affects it. That does affect things like the 6 month trial period, even if prior owner did not have it enabled. That was my S8 case w/ CPO.

AudiCare is just maintenance BTW, so this has to slide in through some variant of the AudiConnect service itself, the 4/50 warranty or CPO.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-26-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by tehjeebus
Thanks...I just called my dealership and they were going to "look into it." I'll give them a chance to do the right thing before I go up the ladder.
Forget the dealer; they can't help you. Call Audi of America and they can help you get approval for the dealer to install the necessary upgrade. Even though I am the original owner and have had AudiConnect since new, T-Mobile has not downgraded their system in my area so AofA would not approve the upgrade. You might have better luck but don't count on it. Might just have to bite the bullet and pay out of pocket.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

First off T-Mobile is not discontinuing 2G and 3G. What they are currently doing is refarming their 3G network, which means they are moving their 3G network to a different band of their spectrum in order to free up bands for LTE. The 2G network is planned to be shutdown in 2020. With a MY2014 you should not be affected by this at all. Only MY2012/13 have an older modem that doesn't support the new band. If you don't have a connection, then most likely something else is going on. Did you try to remove the SIM and put it back in? Sometimes the modem just hangs.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
First off T-Mobile is not discontinuing 2G and 3G. What they are currently doing is refarming their 3G network, which means they are moving their 3G network to a different band of their spectrum in order to free up bands for LTE. The 2G network is planned to be shutdown in 2020. With a MY2014 you should not be affected by this at all. Only MY2012/13 have an older modem that doesn't support the new band. If you don't have a connection, then most likely something else is going on. Did you try to remove the SIM and put it back in? Sometimes the modem just hangs.
Thank you for the info. I didn't try anything with the sim, but that's a good first step. I knew that "discontinuing" the 2G and 3G wasn't the right terminology, but thanks for helping me understand what's really going on.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Does the MY2014 D4 have the updated modem? While it's true for the C7, it's possible not all 2014 Audi models were equipped with the new modem at the same time.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Does the MY2014 D4 have the updated modem? While it's true for the C7, it's possible not all 2014 Audi models were equipped with the new modem at the same time.
That is a good point, however they put the new modem in for the B and C platform in 2014, so why would they not do it for the D at the same time? The head units are all the same. They are just running slightly different firmware and the peripherals are different. If it was a modem issue, he should still be getting at least a 2G signal, but it sounds like he has no connection at all, which leads me to believe it's something unrelated.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

It's not uncommon for car manufacturers to add or make modifications to different models at different times in the production cycle even within the same model year. But you're right, if the modem version was the issue, he should be getting 2G if located in one of the updated 3G areas.

Quick Reply: I'm assuming T-Mobile just shut off 3g support in my area?