Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Test drove 2018 SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 10:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Test drove 2018 SQ5

The short version: happy with my purchase decision!

My previous vehicle was a BMW X6M. I loved that truck but it was time for something new and my budget was lower this time around. I was ready to order a Macan GTS but the SQ5 was almost $20,000 cheaper (in Canada based on my configs). So I ordered the SQ5 and crossed my fingers that it did not suck. I drove the new Q5 a few weeks ago and hated it. It was too slow and quiet for me, but I loved the interior and figured an extra 100 hp would make a big difference.

I wasn't disappointed today. Great sound (not as loud/deep as the macan gts) quick accelation both from 0 and on the highway, smooth ride on the 21s. The cornering was amazing, I'd say on par with the Macan GTS.

For the money I can't think of anything I'd rather get. Can't wait to get mine!
Old 04-26-2017, 11:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zolo

My previous vehicle was a BMW X6M. I loved that truck but it was time for something new and my budget was lower this time around. I was ready to order a Macan GTS but the SQ5 was almost $20,000 cheaper (in Canada based on my configs). So I ordered the SQ5 and crossed my fingers that it did not suck. I drove the new Q5 a few weeks ago and hated it. It was too slow and quiet for me, but I loved the interior and figured an extra 100 hp would make a big difference.

I wasn't disappointed today. Great sound (not as loud/deep as the macan gts) quick accelation both from 0 and on the highway, smooth ride on the 21s. The cornering was amazing, I'd say on par with the Macan GTS.

sounds nice. i actually test drove the q5 and thought it was louder than i had expected - am looking for something more quiet.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Where did you get this chance to test drive a SQ5? My local dealers didn't have it last weekend.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How's the response, any Turbo lag?

Wondering how fast the new SQ5 is vs the 2017. Sucks we haven't seen any tests from the magazines yet giving performance figures.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sounds really Excited! I made my purchased decision without even tried the 2018 sq5. I did not like the 2018 Q5, i found the ride was not firm enough compare with my last 2011 Q5 Sline 3.2. I was really hoping the SQ5 would offer the similar ride quality as the new s4.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In terms of turbo lag, I'm no expert but I would say that I didn't notice any at all. The x6m was twin turbo and I felt more turbo lag on that car then the SQ5 to be honest.

I drove the 2017 SQ5 as well. I doubt there is a big difference in performance. The power figures are very similar and the weight reduction isn't that huge. Still makes for a fun, quick automobile.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In terms of turbo lag, I'm no expert but I would say that I didn't notice any at all. The x6m was twin turbo and I felt more turbo lag on that car then the SQ5 to be honest.

I drove the 2017 SQ5 as well. I doubt there is a big difference in performance. The power figures are very similar and the weight reduction isn't that huge. Still makes for a fun, quick automobile.
The 2018 SQ5 makes more torque and the peak is available at a much lower RPM, as low as 1300 RPM if I'm not mistaken. That should make for a much more responsive vehicle and quicker acceleration. Either way though, you are correct, the car should be a blast to drive.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So where are these sq5s? Is it only in limited regions or specific dealers?
Old 05-02-2017, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not out in the wild yet in USA. I believe the OP is smoking da ganja.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

One dealer in Calgary, Alberta has a single 2018 SQ5. They received it on Friday, April 21, and we drove it for about hour this past Saturday.

We also drove a 2016 SQ5, and I can say without hesitation that the torque availability in the lower revs makes a huge difference on the 2018. Both are awesome, but I think the turbo version is a much more engaging experience.

The unit they have in stock didn't have our full set of wanted options, so the order was placed following the drive.

Quick Reply: Test drove 2018 SQ5