Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Creaking noise when going over speed bumps

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 06:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking noise when going over speed bumps

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had the same problem I am seeing, or rather, hearing from my 2016 S3.

When I go over speed bumps, especially the ones that are made of old tires and bolted to the road, driving at an angle, left wheel first then right, I hear a creaking noise coming from the left side wheel. I can also her it sometimes when I do right wheel first. It is intermittent.

I have complained about this to my dealer (Hoehn in Carlsbad), but they have not been able to fix it. I took the car in twice, but no luck fixing it. I am not able to reproduce the issue while driving around the dealer, because the speed bumps aren't as bad.

Here is video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2o58ww0dg7...07405.mp4?dl=0

In the 6th second you can here the creaking.

If anyone has had this problem, what was done to fix it? If it is not fixed, does this have any long term impact, that is, will I have to fix a bigger problem later on? I am hoping to get this addressed while the car is still under warranty.

Please advise.

Thanks all
Tonee
Old 04-26-2017, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

TSB it at the dealership
Old 04-27-2017, 06:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The dealer looked for a couple of TSBs already, but did not fix this issue.

I am hoping someone knows the specific TSB or part/s that need to be replaced.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

mine is a 15 a3 1.8t and it did the same thing too. tried a couple loaner a3s 1.8t with standard suspension and most of them did that too. The only a3 i've ever tried doesnt creak is a 2.0t with sport suspension. Dealer replaced the anti roll bar in the front and it still creaks. 20k miles later, its doing the same thing but nothing has gone wrong so far. No un even tyre wear whatsoever. Havnt tried hoehn audi before. Are they any good?
Old 05-01-2017, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My 2016 S3 used to make a "knocking" sound from the back which got solved by a TSB and changing the rear shocks I believe. Now it makes the same cracking noise when going over the speed bumps. Not sure how to get that fixed :/
Old 05-02-2017, 08:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by a2oc
mine is a 15 a3 1.8t and it did the same thing too. tried a couple loaner a3s 1.8t with standard suspension and most of them did that too. The only a3 i've ever tried doesnt creak is a 2.0t with sport suspension. Dealer replaced the anti roll bar in the front and it still creaks. 20k miles later, its doing the same thing but nothing has gone wrong so far. No un even tyre wear whatsoever. Havnt tried hoehn audi before. Are they any good?
Actually, I also notice this creaking with an A3 loaner I got while they were working on my S3. I mentioned this to the service rep, just to let them know it is not only an issue with my car. Anyway, I am gonna try again.

With regards to your question about Hoehn, in general, I like them. They treat me well, and except for this creaking has done good work on my car. Where do you usually go?
Old 05-02-2017, 08:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vancity88
My 2016 S3 used to make a "knocking" sound from the back which got solved by a TSB and changing the rear shocks I believe. Now it makes the same cracking noise when going over the speed bumps. Not sure how to get that fixed :/
The dealer fixed a crealing noise that I also had from the rear, which was a TSB (bearing ring removal/reinstall). I am gonna make another appointment with them to see if thay resolve this issue. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I usually go escondido, san diego was much closer to me but their service are too bad to recommend. Lucky escondido has treat me pretty well.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi all,

Just wanted everyone to know that after my last visit to Hoehn Audi in Carlsbad, the creaking noise has not been heard (so far)!

what they did was based on TSB 2043424/3 : removed the control arm (per the repair manual) and applied grease to the kidney shaped slits on the control arm bushing. Finally, reinstalled the control arm.

Again, so far so good. it is intermittent issue, but was able to hear the creaking noise about 50% of the time I went over the speed bumps near my house. So far, 0 occurrences.

I'll update, if it comes back.

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DarthEenot
Hi all,

Just wanted everyone to know that after my last visit to Hoehn Audi in Carlsbad, the creaking noise has not been heard (so far)!

what they did was based on TSB 2043424/3 : removed the control arm (per the repair manual) and applied grease to the kidney shaped slits on the control arm bushing. Finally, reinstalled the control arm.

Again, so far so good. it is intermittent issue, but was able to hear the creaking noise about 50% of the time I went over the speed bumps near my house. So far, 0 occurrences.

I'll update, if it comes back.

Thanks.
Is this a new TSB? because the one that the dealer did to my car was to replace the rear shocks I guess. The cracking noise is almost gone but I do hear a knocking sound, which is 50% constant with speed bumps and potholes.

Quick Reply: Creaking noise when going over speed bumps