Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

How is the audio on a Q5 Premium?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is the audio on a Q5 Premium?

I spent some time listening to the FM radio on the Premium and found it pretty good. It seems better than the Premium A4 audio. I can more easily afford a Q5 Premium than the P+/Tech/Cold package.

I'm wondering if anybody else has formed an opinion. I'm not an audiophile but I like listening to music.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2 cents if it helps, I have a 2010 CRV it has 5 speakers and 180 watts power. I am not an audiophile but I like to "crank" up the sound when driving on the highway. There are times I wish it had more oooomph. That said, I added the O & B system to my Q5 order. My thinking is that if I miss it I cannot add it later since it is wired/built into the car - didnt want to regret not having it.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MyFirstAudiQ5
My 2 cents if it helps, I have a 2010 CRV it has 5 speakers and 180 watts power. I am not an audiophile but I like to "crank" up the sound when driving on the highway. There are times I wish it had more oooomph. That said, I added the O & B system to my Q5 order. My thinking is that if I miss it I cannot add it later since it is wired/built into the car - didnt want to regret not having it.
We thought that too! We LOVED the B&O sound system! And there is a marked difference between it and the standard as we had the opportunity to listen to each for around 30 mins per car
Old 04-28-2017, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

culebra-
That depends on how old you are and whether there's any hearing loss. Seriously.
"Telecommunications" audio ranges from 300-3000Hz. AM radio does somewhat better. FM stereo pushed that up to 15,000 Hz. Might add some bass, I don't recall. And CD quality audio is 20-20,000 Hz.
But most people start losing high-end hearing in their 20's, and by the time you are in your 50's you'll be lucky to hear 15Khz, so CD's and FM radio will sound exactly alike, even though they are not. And "DVD" quality audio (there's a "superCD" as well) is even higher quality, but rarely supported.

So the first question is, how much quality can you even hear? Then, you add ambient road noise, and you can hear even less of the clarity and detail that a good system would have.

But as to Audi...the base "Concert Sound" system is about on par with a 1980's Buick or Oldsmobile. Nothing special and if you played a REAL bass note, even with the nonsense bass box that's hogging the inside of the spare tire (really!), you still won't get real bass, you'll get a fake base-boost of higher tones.

That's about what "mass market acceptably good" audio is. Nothing an audiophile, or a demanding listener, would be happy with. But commodity grade. I've got a feeling that if you begged, pleaded, wheedled, groveled...You still couldn't get Audi to actually publish the specs, for frequency response and THD (distortion) of the system. A sign of pride, to be sure. (Ahem.)

If it was still the 1980's and automakers still had to offer a "radio delete" package, I'd have taken the car with nothing in the dash, and for way less than the price of the premium audio, put in something way better. I saw one picture of the radio panel removed from the dash, and it sure looks like a standard double-DIN radio installation is hiding in there. Oh, the temptation.(G)

Meanwhile, you know. Commodity grade. Nothing to write home about, but it does the job on the interstate for a long day.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:28 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default your ears

Originally Posted by culebracut
I spent some time listening to the FM radio on the Premium and found it pretty good. It seems better than the Premium A4 audio. I can more easily afford a Q5 Premium than the P+/Tech/Cold package.

I'm wondering if anybody else has formed an opinion. I'm not an audiophile but I like listening to music.
You know your listening needs and you admitted you're not an audiophile. Neither am I. I test drove a P+ '18 Q5 with the standard Bose and I love it. You know your own needs and nobody else. I do not believe the B&O system is worth the $900 entrance fee. .02

Last edited by bpp; 04-28-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

I love my B&O system, but it surprised me to find the subwoofer is not adjustable. At my normal listening levels (subdued) I could use a boost. The Bass setting is only partially effective for the sub, and can introduce boosted frequencies that aren't necessary.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bpp
You know your listening needs and you admitted you're not an audiophile. Neither am I. I test drove a P+ '18 Q5 with the standard Bose and I love it. You know your own needs and nobody else. I do not believe the B&O system is worth the $900 entrance fee. .02
is the standard system in fact Bose? I too test drove with standard system and it sounded decent. Of course listening to FM its hard to judge.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:55 PM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Yes '18 P+ oe sound system is Bose per the SA. I listen to FM 99% of the time local and iOS on trips. For an oe system it was more than adequate. I cannot understand others who think LOUD (power) is better. It is not. You're driving a car. There's many other prioritires to be concerned about while doing so. .02
Old 04-28-2017, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bpp
Yes '18 P+ oe sound system is Bose per the SA. I listen to FM 99% of the time local and iOS on trips. For an oe system it was more than adequate. I cannot understand others who think LOUD (power) is better. It is not. You're driving a car. There's many other prioritires to be concerned about while doing so. .02
This is true on the '18 Q7 but not the Q5. Base (non B&O) is:

Audi sound system with ten speakers, 180 watts and single CD player with MP3 playback capability.

Grey
Old 04-29-2017, 10:17 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

It's on the SA for his misinformation Additionally he also said DAP was available on the Q5, which in fact it is not. A pox on him.
That being said, the sound in the '18 standard system sounds were exceptional imo. .02

Quick Reply: How is the audio on a Q5 Premium?