Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

New Member and New to Audi - 2018 SQ5 Ordered!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 03:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member and New to Audi - 2018 SQ5 Ordered!

Hi All,

As the title indicates, I am a newish member, and will soon be a first time Audi owner. My wife and I were ready to purchase an SQ5 back in 2015, but decided to wait for the gen 2.

Anyhow, today we made it official and have placed our order. By mid August, we should have our SQ5 ... we're in Canada, so it's the Technik version. Extras include panther black paint, carbon inlays, adaptive air suspension, sport rear diff, red calipers, the full driver assist suite (including active lane assist) and 21" wheels.

So far, we have opted for the standard heated wheel, but may yet change to the flat bottom version. I much prefer the flat, but the wife likes a heated wheel ... Whatever she wants, I guess .

-tulsah
Old 04-29-2017, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Congrats on the order from a fellow Canadian waiting for his SQ5!
Old 05-03-2017, 01:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just received an update from my salesperson on my desire to have the flat bottom steering wheel on my ordered 2018 Canadian SQ5.

He has really gone to bat for me, but to no avail. Audi Canada insists that it was not a desirable feature for our market when compared to a heated wheel, and they have no present plans to offer it in the new model. I would suggest that the smart step would have been to add heating elements to the flat bottom wheel since it was largely updated since the last gen anyhow ... ?

Anyhow, I should know better than to expect differently as an early adopter of the new model. This is my first Audi, but I've run into the issue before with other brands. New and freshly updated models rarely see a full feature/option set at launch. I suspect that next year's Q5/SQ5 options will look different again.

On another note, I did receive a reply from ABT that they are indeed developing rear aero parts and an exhaust system for the new SQ5. Nothing will drop before the end of the year I'm told.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

RE: ABT exhaust. Will that involve changing the rear bumper to get rid of the fake exhaust or will that stay the same and just the pipes will be changed?
Old 05-03-2017, 02:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zolo
RE: ABT exhaust. Will that involve changing the rear bumper to get rid of the fake exhaust or will that stay the same and just the pipes will be changed?
I didn't think to ask, so none of this info was provided in their response.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zolo
Fake exhaust has got to go! I'd settle for a regular rear valance if I had to. Someone will come up with something.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The flat bottom isn't available in the US with the warm weather package either. Apparently they aren't going to heat the flat bottom, isn't the warm weather standard in Canada? If so that's why!

Originally Posted by tulsah
I just received an update from my salesperson on my desire to have the flat bottom steering wheel on my ordered 2018 Canadian SQ5.

He has really gone to bat for me, but to no avail. Audi Canada insists that it was not a desirable feature for our market when compared to a heated wheel, and they have no present plans to offer it in the new model. I would suggest that the smart step would have been to add heating elements to the flat bottom wheel since it was largely updated since the last gen anyhow ... ?

Anyhow, I should know better than to expect differently as an early adopter of the new model. This is my first Audi, but I've run into the issue before with other brands. New and freshly updated models rarely see a full feature/option set at launch. I suspect that next year's Q5/SQ5 options will look different again.

On another note, I did receive a reply from ABT that they are indeed developing rear aero parts and an exhaust system for the new SQ5. Nothing will drop before the end of the year I'm told.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ron.S
The flat bottom isn't available in the US with the warm weather package either. Apparently they aren't going to heat the flat bottom, isn't the warm weather standard in Canada? If so that's why!
You are correct on both counts. My only gripe is that the two styles of wheels clearly exist ... all I would like is the choice.

Better yet, because it's an S variant, it should come standard with a flat bottom wheel with an option for a heated version of the same at additional cost ... just saying.

Anyhow, I know that I'm nitpicking, and now I'm over it.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tulsah

Can you please tell me is the flat bottom steering wheel option already released to the dealership? If so, I am gonna to call my salesman to change my order tomorrow, thanks.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mazinger
Can you please tell me is the flat bottom steering wheel option already released to the dealership? If so, I am gonna to call my salesman to change my order tomorrow, thanks.
To clarify, the flat bottom steering wheel is not and will not be available to Canadian customers purchasing a 2nd gen SQ5. Whether it appears as an option next year or beyond remains to be seen. If you want a 2nd gen SQ5 now or have one on order now, it will have the heated round wheel.

Quick Reply: New Member and New to Audi - 2018 SQ5 Ordered!