S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

2018 Audi S4 - How important is the S Sport Package and Dynamic Steering ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Audi S4 - How important is the S Sport Package and Dynamic Steering ??

I am about to buy and there is a $5000 difference if I do not purchase the S Sport Package and dynamic steering. What do you think ? Is it worth the extra 5000 ?? THANKS !!!!
Old 04-30-2017, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think that most here would agree that if you're buying an S4 for spirited driving, the Sport Package (really, the rear sport diff component of that package) is absolutely essential. I think that dynamic steering is super important as well, but if your budget won't handle it, it's not fatal to the car's performance imo.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Keep in mind that in addition to the sport differential the sport package also includes the adaptive sport suspension and red painted brake calipers all for $2500. I have not driven a S4 with the dynamic steering, but I really liked the handling on the S4 with the sport package (and that one had the 19" rim/tire package).

In my opinion that makes the sport package important, especially if you are planning on ordering a car. The dynamic steering adds $1,100 so if my math is correct, it would be $3,600 to add both packages.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are you going to drive the car? I mean - look down deep... how are you REALLY going to drive the car? If it's a daily commuter, kid hauler, and general sedan with a little more verve that you plan on once and awhile taking a reasonably spirited drive down some twisties at reasonable speeds, then the sport package is an absolute waste of money. The capabilities of the B9S4 are truly stunning, and to exceed the thresholds of the stock, non-sport S4 require flagrantly breaking the law to the point where you risk your license being revoked and your car impounded, or having to visit a close course at a track, or autocross event. Period. End of discussion. It also depends on where you live. If the roads around you look like medusa's hair - maybe it's an option, but if they're all flat and boring, don't even consider it.

I doubt than even double digit percentages of folks who own S4's will drive them hard enough for these elements to make a real different. Now, if you do actually intend on driving this car like you stole it, and you do not have a fear of losing your license, having your car impounded, or you intend to go to the track with your 4 door sedan - then the sport package is an absolute must, and a game changer - and only because of the rear diff. It removes understeer and will allow you to break the rear loose and smoothly drift around turns. Are you actually going to do that? If so, how often/many times? The resale market for all cars - even S4's has shown these additional options don't really increase resale value, so you really get no residual value on the spend. If you're going to go to the track once or twice, or break the rear loose on the street a half dozen times, I can think of more fun ways to blow a few grand. If you're going to use it daily because you live in an area where you have the pleasure of driving fun canyons daily, or perhaps weekly - then sure, it's worth the coin. Otherwise - anyone who tells you without the sports package an S4 is just an A4 with a bigger engine, is ignorant. The base B9 S4 with an amateur driver on street/canyon roads will shame essentially every new car on the market with 2 doors under $70K - and that includes a corvette. Remember, we're talking amateur driver, and on the street.

I bought mine with the sport package, and I use the car beyond it's limits, but I cannot stress enough - the limits of the car are truly surprising and you have to be irresponsible to do so on the street. Hey... at least I admit it, but lets face it, it's true. One other important point - the S4 isn't terribly fun and engaging to drive unless you're approaching it's limits, which as mentioned about a half dozen times, are silly. It always feels composed, in control and confidence inspiring (which for me translates to somewhat of a bland experience) but it won't encourage you to act foolish - thus for most folks out there, I think the sports package isn't a sound investment.... unless it's worth the $ to tell people you have it ;-)

The dynamic steering on the other hand is a complete waste of money, and you're paying for a product at its infancy. I'm sure that in time Audi (and others) will perfect adding soul to electric steering, but for now, you're essentially getting 1.0 tech, with 1.0 benefits.
The following users liked this post:
MWillyC (04-04-2020)
Old 04-30-2017, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by searchingtom
I am about to buy and there is a $5000 difference if I do not purchase the S Sport Package and dynamic steering. What do you think ? Is it worth the extra 5000 ?? THANKS !!!!
The sport differential, if it could be ordered a la carte (like it could on the B8, for $1,100) would be a no brainer (however the Audi service manager told me they are expensive to repair and replace (and you will have to do ONE or the other out of warranty)). The red brake calipers provide great psychological benefits but, alas, no performance benefits. Some will tell you the sport auto adjustable dampers are valuable. The folks at the dealership are way in favor of air suspension upgrade (a la S6 and upcoming SQ5), but not so much the trick shocks on the S4. Same service manager, however told me you can get the shocks replaced one at a time when they fail, and that they aren't very expensive and they are pretty reliable.

The dynamic steering -- I had this on my last B8 A4 -- is pretty cool in that you can set it to almost make a U-turn with about a 1/4 turn of the steering wheel (at very low speeds, of course.)

Speaking, as usual, ONLY for myself -- the most beneficial option would be the red brake calipers -- because PERCEPTION is REALITY.

I never take my car on any roads or streets or highways other than the public roads (we all pay for). Since Ohio's roads look like, feel like and drive like moon craters, I think the sport package option seems awfully pricey just for red brake calipers.

Also, since the 19" wheels ADD to unsprung weight and provide ONLY a shorter sidewall, but no greater footprint, they, too are a styling exercise, which for $800 is pretty good (if your roads are NOT moon craters.)

The sporty bits that can be added to an S6 are basically not offered on the S4, so, keep your money -- you can always order the red calipers from the parts department and have them replaced on the S4 (just get the VIN of a car that actually came with them; the parts computer won't allow you to order the red calipers unless it THINKS yours came with them in the first place.)

The above are 100%, perhaps 150% true and accurate opinions -- mine and only mine. You should get what YOU want what YOU think is of merit and has value for YOU.

My primary concession, this time, was to order the car with the 18" Max Performance Summer tires (knowing, that here in Cincinnati, they're good for less than 10,000 miles -- but that's OK, I'm getting Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06's as soon as we drop below 45 degrees anyway.

I just hate the fact that Audi puts Grand Touring tires on an S4 if you check the All-Season tire option.

Drive it like you live.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 04-30-2017 at 12:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MWillyC (04-04-2020)
Old 04-30-2017, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
however the Audi service manager told me they are expensive to repair and replace (and you will have to do ONE or the other out of warranty)
Really? How's that? Not my experience or anyone else's that know of.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:07 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have my S4 yet, but I bought the dynamic steering. I'm locked in to my build now but I delved heavily into reviews and research before checking that box and I decided to go for it. qwertyman has actually driven the car so his feedback has weight to it, but I would hesitate to call the feature useless or infant. As a counter to that feedback, here's some of the positive reviews that swayed me into the pro column:

2015 S4 - Benefits of Driver Assist with Dynamic Steering. What you need to know!!

Dynamic Steering & Audi Quattro Sport Differential

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...nions-2883641/

Ultimately it seems to be a polarizing feature, by pro car journalists as well as consumers. I bought it because based on these reviews and a few others from reliable sources, the dynamic steering does have a significant affect on the handling feel of the car, perhaps due to completely different rack components as explained in the above. This tech is assuredly not 1.0 generation, having existed since 2010 order guides at the earliest I can find in a quick search.

If the extra cost of the option doesn't keep you up at night, I would encourage you to get it. If you find out you seriously dislike the variable-ratio steering, if it's similar to previous versions of the system then you can simply set it to dynamic where it will set to the fixed-rate 14.3:1 ratio similar to the Audi R / RS cars.

Last edited by aj6; 04-30-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had it on other cars and did not order it on this one and really don't miss it.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Everything YOU read and/or research will, undoubtedly, have at least some effect on your final decision regarding your S4 (and, generally, everything you do where you undertake research from both pros and from "the people" -- most of us read the "reviews" on Amazon.com.)

Having said that, an S4 with the Prestige package is NOT a strippie -- you will not be unhappy if you would stop there. I added the Driver Assistance option ($1,800), after one day, I love it and would argue it is worth considering and, relatively speaking, is inexpensive.

I hedged my bets and ordered, simultaneously, two versions of the new S4, both the same except that the Ibis white configuration had the Sport Package ($2,500). I considered ordering the cold weather package, but decided I rarely have passengers in the back seat (other than my 21 pound Sheltie), and since the flat-bottomed steering wheel is lost when the steering wheel is heated, I scrapped the idea.

I had regretted NOT getting the Torque Vectoring diff on my 2014 S4 -- at the time it was available a la carte for $1,100. I would have spent the money on the differential had it NOT been bundled with the adjustable (responsive) shocks. Just like I ordered the Audi Beam Rings (cosmetic), I also wanted the Red Brake Calipers, also a 2017 B8 stand alone $400 option. I have had (on my 2009 Prestige Sport package equipped A4, the steering upgrade and the "adjustable" shocks -- and, yes, I understand the new shocks are substantially improved over my 2009's.)

The thing is, the new S4 has brake-based torque vectoring which DOES mitigate under-steer (and, yes, I would BELIEVE the sport diff does a better job of this). On the dynamic steering -- well, it is still a work in progress: It does NOT increase road feel (it does not overcome the objections many have about electric power steering, that is). What it does is pretty cool, if you like this sort of thing: You can set the dynamic steering to initiate a "U turn" with a quarter-turn of the wheel (at low speeds). To avoid "twitchyness," the dynamic steering alters the steering wheel so that the more slowly you drive the more road wheel turn you get for very slight steer wheel turns.

Imagine at 5 miles per hour (or so), that the steering wheel turn to effectuate maximum road wheel turn (from left to right and right to left) will be under one turn. Lock to lock at very slow speeds seems to be "under" a 360 degree rotation of the steering wheel.

I am making a point -- the spirit of what I am saying, not the LITERAL detail, is what is important.

If you want VERY VERY responsive steering sensations (at VERY low speeds, the responsiveness reducing proportionately as road speed increases), you will find the dynamic steering option to be a quite pleasant experience. Please see: Road "feel" through the wheel is still virtually absent (it goes, currently, with the electric steering).

Having had it -- albeit in a younger, less mature, version -- it works as noted above, and IF you believe you need very small steering wheel movements to translate into much larger road wheel turn, go for it.

I did not, ever, DISLIKE it. It was, pretty soon after I got the car, not really necessary and not really practical. It is a pretty cool "toy" to show a passenger how you can make the car make a left turn by turning the steering wheel two inches to the left.

Been there, done that, in other words. I see no real downside (other than the money you would spend) on this option. I see very little, if any, upside, however. The Driver Assistance Package, on the other hand, has some "most excellent" safety features -- and it WILL lower your auto insurance premiums with most companies vs a car that doesn't have these features.

I live in SW Ohio -- our roads are like moon craters. It is, nevertheless, possible from time to time to find safe spaces to get to triple digit speeds -- the S4 is so there to do that for you. I (and this is entirely personal) have no way to rationalize the sport diff, the dynamic steering, or the adjustable shocks -- I don't track the car and it is very unlikely most, if not "almost" all, of us will ever get to the limits of the brake based torque vectoring, the summer only tires and the standard suspension and power steering.

You can, however, see the Audi Beam Rings and the Red Brake Calipers and the upgraded seat options. In very very cold climates, you can also enjoy a heated steering wheel and heated rear seats.

The dual pane front glass, the head's up display, and the top-view camera, too, are things you can and will appreciate within the first hours of ownership.

I did test drive an S5 with the torque vectoring rear differential -- and on my "secret" (public) back road with a curve marked 15MPH, I can take it easily with my non-TV equipped 2014 S4 at 45MPH, but the same curve can be taken at 50MPH with the mechanical rear TV differential -- when the back road is traffic-free which, of course, RARELY happens. The TV differential, then, is unlikely to ever "kick in" (FOR ME, your mileage may vary.)

Moreover, the dealer's service department, when pressed, claims the TV diff is expensive to repair or replace -- and is likely to need SOMETHING (expensive) after the warranty has expired. The sales person, too, suggested (when I was ordering the car) that the sport diff can "feel great" (when you're able to get the base car up to its limit -- which is so very high, it is difficult to imagine doing so with any frequency on public roads, streets and interstates), but that if I plan to keep the new S4 beyond 50K miles, I may want to establish a rear-diff "fund" so that I can, effectively, self-warrant the mechanical diff after the Audi warranty has expired.

No one literally counseled against getting the diff for a "what you might be able to do in the car with the diff" capability that the Sport Diff will imbue the S4 with. The "caution" I heard was that the diff is very expensive to repair and/or replace out of warranty and that we should anticipate for "something" vis a vis the sport diff to be required after 50,000 miles (and that there is a "poor person's" feature, brake based TV, already included in the S4 as standard equipment.)

The sport suspension is, according to my service adviser, reliable and individual shocks can be replaced if needed, rather than the entire system. All I am suggesting is the for ME (your driving needs and/or circumstances may differ), the TV diff, electric shocks and dynamic steer options would provide less pleasure than some of the cosmetic features noted above. Hell, I even went with Daytona Gray, which I am quite surprised I selected, considering I am opposed to paying for PAINT on a car. What the heck -- I love the color, just like I love the combination with the red leather seats.

Spend your money -- any way YOU want -- if you enjoy the features or option(s) you select, that makes them worth the money.

The only suggestion, beyond doing what YOU want (with YOUR money), is to pass on the 19" wheels. They are beautiful, there is little, if any, dissent on that. The facts, however, are: The aspect ratio of the tires is !8" wheels aspect ratio 40; with the 19" wheels the aspect ratio drops to 35. The tire's contact patch is unchanged at 245.

Unless your roads are VERY well maintained, the differences between the 40 series tires and the 35 series tires are: Increased "fragility" of the tires and wheels. Here in SW Ohio, I have bent four wheels and blown several tires by hitting Interstate-71's potholes (which are relatively small -- usually -- but quite numerous). The road noise inside the car is louder with the 35 series tires/19" wheels, the tread life if shorter (than the 18" wheel/tire combo) and -- for some the most galling "feature" -- the 19" wheel/tire option INCREASES the unsprung weight, making the 19" wheel/tire option "anti" performance.
But, the 19" wheels, at $800, are an inexpensive option and are, by most all accounts, drop dead gorgeous. But, they are, "beautiful to look at, lovely to behold, but when they bend or break, consider them sold" -- when replacing one of these wheels, bring oxygen, for they are breathtakingly expensive. As noted, the 19" wheel option should be one where "wheel and tire insurance" is mandatory (no, really, wheel and tire insurance is a real thing.)

Repeating: Include professional and "regular folks" reviews in your data gathering phase insofar as selecting YOUR PERSONAL CONFIGURATION of your new $60,000+ acquisition; but, when the rubber meets the road, it's your money, spend it any way that pleases you. The rest of us will just have to suck it up when you choose poorly.

And, make no mistake about it, no matter what you choose, someone here (not me) will think (even if they don't say so) you chose poorly.

Drive it like YOU live.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 05-01-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Everything YOU read and/or research will, undoubtedly, have at least some effect on your final decision regarding your S4 (and, generally, everything you do where you undertake research from both pros and from "the people" -- most of us read the "reviews" on Amazon.com.)

Having said that, an S4 with the Prestige package is NOT a strippie -- you will not be unhappy if you would stop there. I added the Driver Assistance option ($1,800), after one day, I love it and would argue it is worth considering and, relatively speaking, is inexpensive.

I hedged my bets and ordered, simultaneously, two versions of the new S4, both the same except that the Ibis white configuration had the Sport Package ($2,500). I considered ordering the cold weather package, but decided I rarely have passengers in the back seat (other than my 21 pound Sheltie), and since the flat-bottomed steering wheel is lost when the steering wheel is heated, I scrapped the idea.

I had regretted NOT getting the Torque Vectoring diff on my 2014 S4 -- at the time it was available a la carte for $1,100. I would have spent the money on the differential had it NOT been bundled with the adjustable (responsive) shocks. Just like I ordered the Audi Beam Rings (cosmetic), I also wanted the Red Brake Calipers, also a 2017 B8 stand alone $400 option. I have had (on my 2009 Prestige Sport package equipped A4, the steering upgrade and the "adjustable" shocks -- and, yes, I understand the new shocks are substantially improved over my 2009's.)

The thing is, the new S4 has brake-based torque vectoring which DOES mitigate under-steer (and, yes, I would BELIEVE the sport diff does a better job of this). On the dynamic steering -- well, it is still a work in progress: It does NOT increase road feel (it does not overcome the objections many have about electric power steering, that is). What it does is pretty cool, if you like this sort of thing: You can set the dynamic steering to initiate a "U turn" with a quarter-turn of the wheel (at low speeds). To avoid "twitchyness," the dynamic steering alters the steering wheel so that the more slowly you drive the more road wheel turn you get for very slight steer wheel turns.

Imagine at 5 miles per hour (or so), that the steering wheel turn to effectuate maximum road wheel turn (from left to right and right to left) will be under one turn. Lock to lock at very slow speeds seems to be "under" a 360 degree rotation of the steering wheel.

I am making a point -- the spirit of what I am saying, not the LITERAL detail, is what is important.

If you want VERY VERY responsive steering sensations (at VERY low speeds, the responsiveness reducing proportionately as road speed increases), you will find the dynamic steering option to be a quite pleasant experience. Please see: Road "feel" through the wheel is still virtually absent (it goes, currently, with the electric steering).

Having had it -- albeit in a younger, less mature, version -- it works as noted above, and IF you believe you need very small steering wheel movements to translate into much larger road wheel turn, go for it.

I did not, ever, DISLIKE it. It was, pretty soon after I got the car, not really necessary and not really practical. It is a pretty cool "toy" to show a passenger how you can make the car make a left turn by turning the steering wheel two inches to the left.

Been there, done that, in other words. I see no real downside (other than the money you would spend) on this option. I see very little, if any, upside, however. The Driver Assistance Package, on the other hand, has some "most excellent" safety features -- and it WILL lower your auto insurance premiums with most companies vs a car that doesn't have these features.

I live in SW Ohio -- our roads are like moon craters. It is, nevertheless, possible from time to time to find safe spaces to get to triple digit speeds -- the S4 is so there to do that for you. I (and this is entirely personal) have no way to rationalize the sport diff, the dynamic steering, or the adjustable shocks -- I don't track the car and it is very unlikely most, if not "almost" all, of us will ever get to the limits of the brake based torque vectoring, the summer only tires and the standard suspension and power steering.

You can, however, see the Audi Beam Rings and the Red Brake Calipers and the upgraded seat options. In very very cold climates, you can also enjoy a heated steering wheel and heated rear seats.

The dual pane front glass, the head's up display, and the top-view camera, too, are things you can and will appreciate within the first hours of ownership.

I did test drive an S5 with the torque vectoring rear differential -- and on my "secret" (public) back road with a curve marked 15MPH, I can take it easily with my non-TV equipped 2014 S4 at 45MPH, but the same curve can be taken at 50MPH with the mechanical rear TV differential -- when the back road is traffic-free which, of course, RARELY happens. The TV differential, then, is unlikely to ever "kick in" (FOR ME, your mileage may vary.)

Moreover, the dealer's service department, when pressed, claims the TV diff is expensive to repair or replace -- and is likely to need SOMETHING (expensive) after the warranty has expired. The sales person, too, suggested (when I was ordering the car) that the sport diff can "feel great" (when you're able to get the base car up to its limit -- which is so very high, it is difficult to imagine doing so with any frequency on public roads, streets and interstates), but that if I plan to keep the new S4 beyond 50K miles, I may want to establish a rear-diff "fund" so that I can, effectively, self-warrant the mechanical diff after the Audi warranty has expired.

No one literally counseled against getting the diff for a "what you might be able to do in the car with the diff" capability that the Sport Diff will imbue the S4 with. The "caution" I heard was that the diff is very expensive to repair and/or replace out of warranty and that we should anticipate for "something" vis a vis the sport diff to be required after 50,000 miles (and that there is a "poor person's" feature, brake based TV, already included in the S4 as standard equipment.)

The sport suspension is, according to my service adviser, reliable and individual shocks can be replaced if needed, rather than the entire system. All I am suggesting is the for ME (your driving needs and/or circumstances may differ), the TV diff, electric shocks and dynamic steer options would provide less pleasure than some of the cosmetic features noted above. Hell, I even went with Daytona Gray, which I am quite surprised I selected, considering I am opposed to paying for PAINT on a car. What the heck -- I love the color, just like I love the combination with the red leather seats.

Spend your money -- any way YOU want -- if you enjoy the features or option(s) you select, that makes them worth the money.

The only suggestion, beyond doing what YOU want (with YOUR money), is to pass on the 19" wheels. They are beautiful, there is little, if any, dissent on that. The facts, however, are: The aspect ratio of the tires is !8" wheels aspect ratio 40; with the 19" wheels the aspect ratio drops to 35. The tire's contact patch is unchanged at 245.

Unless your roads are VERY well maintained, the differences between the 40 series tires and the 35 series tires are: Increased "fragility" of the tires and wheels. Here in SW Ohio, I have bent four wheels and blown several tires by hitting Interstate-71's potholes (which are relatively small -- usually -- but quite numerous). The road noise inside the car is louder with the 35 series tires/19" wheels, the tread life if shorter (than the 18" wheel/tire combo) and -- for some the most galling "feature" -- the 19" wheel/tire option INCREASES the unsprung weight, making the 19" wheel/tire option "anti" performance.
But, the 19" wheels, at $800, are an inexpensive option and are, by most all accounts, drop dead gorgeous. But, they are, "beautiful to look at, lovely to behold, but when they bend or break, consider them sold" -- when replacing one of these wheels, bring oxygen, for they are breathtakingly expensive. As noted, the 19" wheel option should be one where "wheel and tire insurance" is mandatory (no, really, wheel and tire insurance is a real thing.)

Repeating: Include professional and "regular folks" reviews in your data gathering phase insofar as selecting YOUR PERSONAL CONFIGURATION of your new $60,000+ acquisition; but, when the rubber meets the road, it's your money, spend it any way that pleases you. The rest of us will just have to suck it up when you choose poorly.

And, make no mistake about it, no matter what you choose, someone here (not me) will think (even if they don't say so) you chose poorly.

Drive it like YOU live.
Mark/Qwerty read a few of your reviews & they are super informative. Looking at an S4/S5 and really was not sure about the Sports Diff but after reading these in this thread & basically saying if you never plan on taking your car to someplace like a track or some crazy curvy road that you plan on breaking the law, then it's just a huge waste of money, while also reading what you could be spending down the road to replace is good information. I've read a few things over in the S5 area where they say the SD is better then Quattro because it's more responsive but in the end, it doesn't sound like most would need it 99% of the time. It's also great to know that the adaptive suspension is costly & had to be done in pairs & that the sports suspension can be done individually.

I guess one question...is the A4 worth getting or do you recommend going up to the S4 because everyone is saying why bother with an S when you don't get the Sports package with TV, adaptive, etc..then whats the point.

Thx for the write up. If I have any questions I'll ask you for sure because this has been the best thread I've read on this site.

Last edited by Spartan-S5; 05-01-2017 at 11:45 AM.

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi S4 - How important is the S Sport Package and Dynamic Steering ??