A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Dash Piece

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Broken Dash Piece

I managed to break the clip holding the left and of this long trim piece when I replaced my brake light switch. I've tried epoxy to fix it, but it doesn't seem to want to hold up to the cabin temperature when the car is in the sun. Has anyone broken this and fixed it another way? I might be searching for the wrong part name, but I wasn't able to find any used ones on eBay.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

4E1 853 192 H is the part number you want. Expensive if bought through Audi - check eBay.

I had the exact same problem, broke the same tab. I was able to epoxy the tab back onto the piece - maybe it's the quality of the epoxy? I also flowed the epoxy over the sides of the tab so there was plenty of epoxy material to keep the tab connected. Let it cure for 24 hours before even trying to put it back, because the tab will always be under stress.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 91quattro
4E1 853 192 H is the part number you want. Expensive if bought through Audi - check eBay.

I had the exact same problem, broke the same tab. I was able to epoxy the tab back onto the piece - maybe it's the quality of the epoxy? I also flowed the epoxy over the sides of the tab so there was plenty of epoxy material to keep the tab connected. Let it cure for 24 hours before even trying to put it back, because the tab will always be under stress.
Looks like I posted this twice!

The tab is long gone, unfortunately. I used loctite epoxy on part of the lower dash in-between the two screws that hold it into place closest to there, and it held for about a month. Thinking I'm going to just try the used parts route, since I also managed to get epoxy all over the dash piece too.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah it seems you can find one fairly cheap. I was lucky, I found the broken tab stuck in the matching female clip in the dash. Good luck!
Old 05-06-2017, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I used 3M VHB tape. VHB = Very High Bucks Bond. High $ but incredibly strong, has a bit of foam-like cushion between the double-stick. I guess I could send you a piece.

Also I've got an extra trim piece like the one pictured; gotta go see if it's intact. I might give it to ya for postage; you seem like a righteous dude on here.

Tom

PS Trade ya for a LOBSTAH!
My favorite food.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by aTOMic
I used 3M VHB tape. VHB = Very High Bucks Bond. High $ but incredibly strong, has a bit of foam-like cushion between the double-stick. I guess I could send you a piece.

Also I've got an extra trim piece like the one pictured; gotta go see if it's intact. I might give it to ya for postage; you seem like a righteous dude on here.

Tom

PS Trade ya for a LOBSTAH!
My favorite food.
Amazon showed me that VHB tape can be had for anywhere from $5 to $400 You weren't kidding!

If you have an extra one that's kicking around, I'd be glad to take it off your hands. I decided on the replacement route since the epoxy residue on the current one is making my eye twitch.

Should I send the lobstah dead or alive?
Old 05-08-2017, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just broke the same exact tab
Old 05-24-2017, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Would anyone happen to have a picture of how the piece connects at the end that I took a picture of? I made a mess with the epoxy in there, and I think that a piece of the kick panel is broken in addition to the trim piece. I'd like to replace it, but if the piece that it connects to is broke as well I might as well just find a stronger epoxy.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by MainelyA8
Would anyone happen to have a picture of how the piece connects at the end that I took a picture of? I made a mess with the epoxy in there, and I think that a piece of the kick panel is broken in addition to the trim piece. I'd like to replace it, but if the piece that it connects to is broke as well I might as well just find a stronger epoxy.

Have you pulled it off? It sound like not.

Guessing that you didn't, there is a screw back behind there that holds the lower knee pad trim to the dash. Same as the left side of the column where there is another one. I get sense people just don't realize that screw is on the right side. Bentley has it--how I first got familiar w/ doing it. In turn you have to take that aluminum trim off to remove the screw for dropping lower knee panel. No way around it, and the trim is oh so fragile to pull, especially around the switch assembly. Or rather, the switch assembly mounts to the trim strip are really small and fragile.

The screw is not small or minor--those two screws (plus the ones behind side panel cover for fuses) carry most all the weight on the knee panel, and the one on the right more since it is not backed up by the screws under the side panel cover. The airbag under there adds some weight to the panel assembly being held up by the screws.

A guess is what you have is the tab is now snapped off the knee panel and sort of jammed in there holding the aluminum strip out. I would pull strip to examine. Expect the real repair is in the lower knee panel, or that you may want to get another one if available from a junk yard/eBay used in your trim color. If pics still needed, next time we drop the panel again for my W12 air suspension guesses I can take a few. May not be for another week plus though.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-24-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Have you pulled it off? It sound like not.

Guessing that you didn't, there is a screw back behind there that holds the lower knee pad trim to the dash. Same as the left side of the column where there is another one. I get sense people just don't realize that screw is on the right side. Bentley has it--how I first got familiar w/ doing it. In turn you have to take that aluminum trim off to remove the screw for dropping lower knee panel. No way around it, and the trim is oh so fragile to pull, especially around the switch assembly. Or rather, the switch assembly mounts to the trim strip are really small and fragile.

The screw is not small or minor--those two screws (plus the ones behind side panel cover for fuses) carry most all the weight on the knee panel, and the one on the right more since it is not backed up by the screws under the side panel cover. The airbag under there adds some weight to the panel assembly being held up by the screws.

A guess is what you have is the tab is now snapped off the knee panel and sort of jammed in there holding the aluminum strip out. I would pull strip to examine. Expect the real repair is in the lower knee panel, or that you may want to get another one if available from a junk yard/eBay used in your trim color. If pics still needed, next time we drop the panel again for my W12 air suspension guesses I can take a few. May not be for another week plus though.
I have pulled it off. In fact, it's hanging off right now because the epoxy I used didn't stand up to the temperature of the inside of the car. If you read what I wrote, the epoxy smeared everywhere and is covering what I'm guessing is the female end of where the tab that broke goes. If it's just like how the left side trim piece connects, that'd be perfect. I was only asking because I forgot how it's connected, and I can't see much in there besides where the kick panel bolts up and how badly the epoxy really covered everything. I had to drop the panel last fall to replace the brake light switch, and it's been more or less broken since then. Next step would be to see if I can remove the dried epoxy disaster to clear up that slot for the replacement trim piece. I wonder if anyone makes vavona wood colored duct tape for my plan B

Quick Reply: Broken Dash Piece