A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove the new A5 and S5 coupes...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Test drove the new A5 and S5 coupes...

wow! amazing redesign, much better fit and finish than the last variant imho. And the growl in the S5 is even better than before. Nice thing is they have now added the massage seat function for the Prestige - only goes to 3, instead of the 5 in the A8, but it's still a nice feature. And the best update, for me, is that the roof on the coupe now actually opens instead of just popping up. Not awful at $59,700 list for the cabrio. Only drawback for me is the size, can only hold 4 and it's pretty tight in the backseat and I have 3 kids and a wife... And of course the new dash is flat out spectacular!

And I know I'll get flamed for this but the 2.0 Turbo is not half bad, very very quick car considering. S5 is clearly the way to go for me but I could live with a 2.0
Old 05-08-2017, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Oh man! Had me all excited about the massage seat availability but, only in black! Cannot imagine sitting on a black leather seat in a cabriolet in the South Carolina summer sun! Oh well, maybe it will be available in lighter colors later on.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

wait, only in black? that's an odd requirement...
Old 05-08-2017, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by frybear
wait, only in black? that's an odd requirement...
When I went to the build app on the Audi USA website and chose any color interior other than black, it would automatically switch back to black as soon as I hit the package which included massage seating. And it had to be the S5 cabrio with the Prestige package. So, is it a website issue or an Audi decision to only offer the massage option with black seats?
Old 05-08-2017, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBoy11
When I went to the build app on the Audi USA website and chose any color interior other than black, it would automatically switch back to black as soon as I hit the package which included massage seating. And it had to be the S5 cabrio with the Prestige package. So, is it a website issue or an Audi decision to only offer the massage option with black seats?
It's a first year restriction for some reason, but as far as I know, both the massage function and the ventilated comfort seats are only available in black for now.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

that's hilarious! I get that it's only on the Prestige but only black?
Old 05-10-2017, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Interestingly, I visited a few large dealer websites that already had the S5 cabrios in stock or on order. Every single one of them with the Prestige package and Sport package has massage in all 3 interior colors; black, red and gray. So, could be the "official" configurator hasn't caught up with reality. I would like to get one of the actual order sheets other than from a dealer. Not ready to pull the trigger and don't want the hassle.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I got the the new A5 Sportback as a loaner this morning while my A8 is in for the 35k service. I was surprised how nice the A5 is. Seats were much more comfortable than my old A6, and even had the ability to extend the seat bottom length which was nice. the new virtual cockpit is pretty cool and didn't take long to adjust to. Sight lines were a little tough with the back hatch. Overall a really nice car.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Smile Funny, the S5 is quieter than the S4 IMHO.

Originally Posted by frybear
wow! amazing redesign, much better fit and finish than the last variant imho. And the growl in the S5 is even better than before. Nice thing is they have now added the massage seat function for the Prestige - only goes to 3, instead of the 5 in the A8, but it's still a nice feature. And the best update, for me, is that the roof on the coupe now actually opens instead of just popping up. Not awful at $59,700 list for the cabrio. Only drawback for me is the size, can only hold 4 and it's pretty tight in the backseat and I have 3 kids and a wife... And of course the new dash is flat out spectacular!

And I know I'll get flamed for this but the 2.0 Turbo is not half bad, very very quick car considering. S5 is clearly the way to go for me but I could live with a 2.0
We have a 15A5Q and it's quiet, adequate, etc., but in the realm of too much power is just enough, the 252? hp of the new A4/5 is a good deal. OTOH, an S5 2.0T with 400hp and a manual trans would be awesome. Oh, yeah, that's a C43 AMG more or less.

I'm hoping to get wifey to sit/drive new S5 but she wants 4–door for aged parents...and the S4 is just loud. A4 might be best deal with a chip.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
We have a 15A5Q and it's quiet, adequate, etc., but in the realm of too much power is just enough, the 252? hp of the new A4/5 is a good deal. OTOH, an S5 2.0T with 400hp and a manual trans would be awesome. Oh, yeah, that's a C43 AMG more or less.

I'm hoping to get wifey to sit/drive new S5 but she wants 4–door for aged parents...and the S4 is just loud. A4 might be best deal with a chip.
S5 Sportback

Quick Reply: Test drove the new A5 and S5 coupes...