Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Is it correct, factory trailer hitch does not include a brake controller?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it correct, factory trailer hitch does not include a brake controller?

Purchasing a camper today and trying to avoid buying something I don't need. The camper is an ultra light about 2900 pounds dry. The dealer is trying to sell me receiver setup with anti-sway control and a brake controller. We have the factory (Audi Dealer installed) hitch currently.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2017, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Scott Evil
Purchasing a camper today and trying to avoid buying something I don't need. The camper is an ultra light about 2900 pounds dry. The dealer is trying to sell me receiver setup with anti-sway control and a brake controller. We have the factory (Audi Dealer installed) hitch currently.

Thanks
Hi, the OEM hitch does NOT come with a brake controller, though the car is pre-wired for one. I believe the wiring harness is tucked up in the steering column. Enclosed are a few guides on how to get everything going that I came across. Alternatively, if you can get surge/hydraulic brakes installed on your trailer on further wiring will be necessary.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you sir! exactly what I needed.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Scott-
If you get some firm details (on what is in the car & what it takes to get it in use) please do come back and post them.
And what kind of 2900# trailer you got. Any chance it has springs AND shocks, not just springs on it? Anything else special?
Old 05-14-2017, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Redd
Scott-
If you get some firm details (on what is in the car & what it takes to get it in use) please do come back and post them.
And what kind of 2900# trailer you got. Any chance it has springs AND shocks, not just springs on it? Anything else special?
Redd, the camper is a 2018 Coachman Clipper. I'll have all the specs when we pick it up. I did have a local dealer recommend a brake controller, anti-sway and weight distribution setup--definitively. My hope is to use the factory brake controller wiring or a wireless setup.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Here are the details on our trailer setup:

Our camper is a 2018 Coachmen Clipper 17BH. The dry weight is 2,898 pounds, when full the tanks add 347 pounds. GVWM is 3,645. Here are the specs etc. Clipper Ultra-Lite Travel Trailers by Coachmen RV

This trailer is perfect for a family of four not wishing to go overboard into the Glamping scene. The bunk beds in the back are perfect for our boys. The price point should be under $13,000 for a new unit.

Our 2014 Q5 2.0T was purchased new in June 2013 without the towing package. We had the towing package installed by Audi of Clearwater last year when we got serious about buying the camper, the cost was $1400. At that point we had over 40000 miles on the Q5 including two Ohio winters and three summers in Florida--the tires were toast. I added a set of Michelin Lattitude A/S rubber for more than $1000 as I recall too (don't get cheap with your tires folks).

The dealer that sold us the camper offered the receiver assembly necessary to tow the trailer. This was the second Audi they had fitted and they admitted Audis are tough to prepare. There was no elaboration on this point, but searching the inter webs revealed all sorts of stuff on towing with German vehicles. All the parts and labor were about $600 on top of the camper cost.

The receiver hitch includes a mount for anti-sway controller. Essentially this is a device with friction material that keeps things in-line at higher speeds. At low speed when turning it grinds and groans like crazy and I learned quickly to unhook it while Parking. It's like a parking brake that keeps the trailer in line with the Q5, when sway is induced, a brake pad like thing that slows the movement and keeps it from getting out of control.

We also added a brake controller. However the dealer was unsuccessful in finding the factory wiring to connect one (its there, but not readily available I suppose). Wisely, they used a wireless brake controller which mounts to the trailer and connects with the trailer wiring. The controller uses RF and plugs into the power outlet on the console. You basically set it and forget it--unplugging it while not towing. The trailer braked on its own. Never did it feel like the car was doing all the work.

The experience? Well, full disclosure here. My wife picked up the camper and waited while the trailer and Q5 were prepped. I had to go work to deal with some whiny government regulators. She drove the rig home, loaded up our stuff and drove it to the camp ground. I met the family there after work, cold beer in the fridge waiting. She also drove the rig home with no issues, I rode shotgun. The 2.0T has more than adequate power to pull the weight. Our setup made driving on busy roads and narrow two lane roads very easy.

The sway controller is a Reese Pro Series Pro Series - Sway Control

The brake controller is a Prodigy unit made by Tekonsha Tekonsha - Trailer Brake Control - ProportionalUPDATE!! The RF setup proved very unreliable. We went with a wired controller—see below. I do not recommend the RF controller after our experience.

Ask any questions.
Attached Thumbnails Is it correct, factory trailer hitch does not include a brake controller?-img_0233.jpg   Is it correct, factory trailer hitch does not include a brake controller?-img_0235.jpg   Is it correct, factory trailer hitch does not include a brake controller?-img_0237.jpg   Is it correct, factory trailer hitch does not include a brake controller?-img_0238.jpg  

Last edited by Scott Evil; 10-27-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

we have the Tekonsha P3 controler on our Q5 pulling an airstream 2017 sport 22FB.
we also installed sway bars and weight distribution
Old 05-26-2017, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by waninae39
we have the Tekonsha P3 controler on our Q5 pulling an airstream 2017 sport 22FB.
we also installed sway bars and weight distribution
How much does your Airstream weigh?
Old 05-26-2017, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Fully loaded the 22FB has a max capacity of...4500 lbs.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

eze hitch sway and weight distribution on an airstream sport 22FB
Attached Thumbnails Is it correct, factory trailer hitch does not include a brake controller?-eaz_lift_hitch_c175cd8a60740ffd3fe54b1835538509a4c8f379.jpg  

Quick Reply: Is it correct, factory trailer hitch does not include a brake controller?